Pilot Error Reaps Reaper

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
According to the Syracuse Post-Standard and other sources a MQ-9 Reaper based out of SYR crashed on takeoff after the pilot mistakenly cut off fuel flow instead of raising the flaps. The error was apparently compounded by erroneously lowering the flaps while attempting to correct the situation. The craft crashed just short of RWY 10 after turning around and trying to glide back to the airport. Fortunately, it did not crash in a busy business area just west of the airport. The accident, which occurred on June 25, 2020, was not reported to the public, and was not by the press until 3 days ago. I wasn't flying that day, so I missed all the fun. I'm surprised it didn't get around sooner, but in any event not reporting the incident to the public is unacceptable.

Here is a link (the Post-Standard is behind a paywall): https://www.stripes.com/news/us/gon...million-loss-in-military-drone-crash-1.669413

According to the Post-Standard reporting, the controls are not labeled, color coded, or distinguishable by shape. If correct, it seems like a recipe for eventual pilot error. In GA aircraft, knobs are coded by both color and texture, if not always in the same relative location. From a basic safety and training perspective, coding the controls in a distinguishable way would seem to be a logical means to enhance flight safety, not to mention save $6 million.

Back