Pilot Discounts at Paso Robles

pcorman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Corman
Well, here's an incentive that we are starting at Paso Robles to attract flyers to our town. I am the AOPA ASN for Paso Robles and we are working hard to improve some issues at the airport.

But in the meantime, we wanted to try to become pilot-friendly by offering a collection of discounts for pilots flying into Paso Robles.
Just printout the attached document and enjoy.

In addition to the attached, the following wineries located near the airport are offering 10% discounts on purchases and waiving all tasting fees: Bianchi, Chumeia, Eberle, EOS, Firestone, Martin & Weyrich, Meridian, Sylvester, and Tobin James.

Phil

Attachments

• PilotsPass.pdf
    116.3 KB · Views: 17
In addition to the attached, the following wineries located near the airport are offering 10% discounts on purchases and waiving all tasting fees: Bianchi, Chumeia, Eberle, EOS, Firestone, Martin & Weyrich, Meridian, Sylvester, and Tobin James.

Phil

Wine tasting fee? the wineries in Missouri have free tasting.. That would be like Wal-Mart charging for the samples they give out on weekends.

Wine tasting fee? the wineries in Missouri have free tasting.. That would be like Wal-Mart charging for the samples they give out on weekends.
All across the west coast tasting fees are the rage. used to be you could taste for free, but now you have to pay a nominal fee and then try as many as you like. It seems that a great many people were just going and drinking all weekend for free and the sales were not what they should be to support 'free tastings'.

All across the west coast tasting fees are the rage. used to be you could taste for free, but now you have to pay a nominal fee and then try as many as you like. It seems that a great many people were just going and drinking all weekend for free and the sales were not what they should be to support 'free tastings'.

That's those cheap Californians for ya, had to go and spoil it for everyone.

The other thing is most wineries will take the tasting fee off of anything you buy.

Joe

I think if I was trying to sell Missouri wine I'd give free samples too......:smilewinkgrin:
They didn't used to charge in CA. Probably to help pay the taxes.....!

Phil,
Looks like a great idea! How did you go about getting the merchants' participation? Was there a discount program already in place, or was this created specifically for the pilots?

Phil,
Looks like a great idea! How did you go about getting the merchants' participation? Was there a discount program already in place, or was this created specifically for the pilots?

Grant,

I approached the various business associations such as our Main St Assn, Winery Assns, and the Chamber of Commerce. I told them I wanted to attract pilots to Paso Robles to take advantage of what we have to offer in terms of wineries, restaurants, spas, etc. I told them if they would put discounts together, I would post the brochure everywhere that pilots frequent and hope that people take advantage of the offers.

I'm trying to garner a higher level of support for the airport. I was willing to do all the work in putting the program together.

Time will tell if it's a good idea.

If you want to do something similar, and want help, just PM me.

Phil

I think if I was trying to sell Missouri wine I'd give free samples too......:smilewinkgrin:
They didn't used to charge in CA. Probably to help pay the taxes.....!

Actually "tasting fees" were introduced for 2 reasons:
1. A lot of wine was used in tasting
2. Discourage winery hopping just to get drunk

Many wineries apply the tasting fee to a purchase, if made. New wineries usually don't charge since they are trying to attract tasters and buyers. Established wineries are trying to focus on wine tasters not drinkers.

Phil

Back