Pilot careers

HatTrickHero11

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
HatTrickHero11
What are some different pilot careers? What are the pay? All the juicy information I would like! I don't want to fly outside of the United States, So that only leaves me corporate, cargo, or Southwest right?

I would appreciate any information on this subject please.

What are some different pilot careers? What are the pay? All the juicy information I would like! I don't want to fly outside of the United States, So that only leaves me corporate, cargo, or Southwest right?

What happens if you get a corporate job and soon after they want to go to Mexico or the Bahamas for vacation??

As far as not flying outside the United States, even if you work for United/American/Delta/etc., you will bid your aircraft and routes based on your seniority, so you won't necessarily fly outside the US. Usually, the international routes are more desirable (since they pay more and often end up with more days off).

Also, corporate operators and cargo airlines both fly outside the U.S, and since Southwest bought Airtran they now fly outside the U.S too.

Why don't you want to fly outside the US?

With cargo there is a good chance you will still go out of the United States. Southwest will keep you entirely in the states and I would think corporate would just depend. Regionals and majors, even on smaller planes, will stay take you out of the states to Mexico, Canada, Central America, the Caribbean, etc. Southwest would probably be your best bet and the pay is pretty decent over there.

I think he meant he didn't want to live in some third world sh-thole.

Last edited:

As much as I like being in those massive airplanes, I don't want to be on one for 15 hours or more, and having to spend the night in random countries. I would prefer to stay inside the United States. Plus having a pilot job takes a huge strain on your family if your gone a lot. So maybe the job isn't for me since family is a major thing in my life

As much as I like being in those massive airplanes, I don't want to be on one for 15 hours or more, and having to spend the night in random countries. I would prefer to stay inside the United States. Plus having a pilot job takes a huge strain on your family if your gone a lot. So maybe the job isn't for me since family is a major thing in my life

It's smart of you to figure this out now. It does take it's toll on family life. You'll be gone for birthdays and holidays, etc. I woke more than once alone on Christmas morning at a ski resort somewhere..

Good luck with what ever you do.

OP,

This horse has been beat to death. Do a search. Some forums on the web are dedicated to airline pilot issues.

Bottom line, the outcome of an airline career is highly variable, much more so than your average 9-5 IMO, when it comes to lifestyles differences among otherwise equal peers. I also think age plays into the decision-making process of how one views the pitfalls of such vocational choice. People favored by hiring waves and subsequent strides in seniority have little to complain about; those stuck in hire and fire furlough scenarios are much less impressed with the "career".

For my part I can tell you my biggest objections to a professional flying gig (in the civilian world,Im military reserves) is the lack of domicile security (I, too, wish to see my significant others during the week, not once a month like some visitation prison punk) and the lack of lateral income portability (can't take my X years of experience across the street at the age of 45 with kids in school and financial commitments of consequence, like 90% of the professional world out there is able to do). The retirement vehicles are crap too, which is par for the course. I grew up with two parents with classic pensions, so the 401k swindle may be sustainable to the " market" but it ain't gonna get median income earners anywhere NEAR a 75% or even 50% of peak income retirement; my parents pensions may be unsustainable, but at least the ---kers are getting paid and they did manage to stick it for 30. These days even if I stuck with thirty the best one can get is a 1% per creditable year annuity with uncle sugar, sans some LE pensions out there. For the rest, lump o coal. I digress.

A lot of domicile bases are in high cost of living areas and are generally a losing economic proposition. The thought of commuting across the land in the same aluminum tube for years on end seem as palatable to me as jabbing the very eyeballs out that allow me to even fly in the first place. I have military colleagues that make the trek to Anchorage from the SE US for that airline paycheck. Good on em, you couldn't pay me enough to do that for a week. To each their own. As to the regionals, Jesus Christ my heart goes out to those dudes. As a mil flyer, one could feasible skip those (most of the time anyways) by building TPIC in the military. I understand the starry eyed civilian pilot doesn't have much of a choice, but I would personally skip the profession outright if I was asked to sell myself short like that. Paying dues is a figment of people's imagination. Gen Y folks and younger should know by now that getting on a hamster wheel that will not honor their loyalty is a waste of time. The days of getting a handshake and a good deal died in the 80s I'm afraid. Legacy employers are for the history books these days.

And ditto on the expat flying gigs. Good on those dudes, but I don't care how much north of 10K/mo you pay me, my life is here, my culture is here, my family is here. No amount of money can make me look at being a chaffeur in Dubai any less arduous. Again, to each their own.

Good luck to ya.

For my part I can tell you my biggest objections to a professional flying gig (in the civilian world,Im military reserves) is the lack of domicile security (I, too, wish to see my significant others during the week, not once a month like some visitation prison punk) and the lack of lateral income portability (can't take my X years of experience across the street at the age of 45 with kids in school and financial commitments of consequence, like 90% of the professional world out there is able to do).

Not to completely hijack but these and others are why I've always seen Airline pilot's Unions as an utter and complete joke. In any other Trade Union, there are rankings by skill level.

Try to relax a little.

That will be the day.....
He's probably never lived in Detroit! YUK. Hope you escaped!

The guys in the Virgin Islands flying twin Otters on floats seemed to be having fun. Nice area too.....:yesnod:

The guys flying the CapeAir 402's were kinda bored.

That will be the day.....
He's probably never lived in Detroit! YUK. Hope you escaped!

The guys in the Virgin Islands flying twin Otters on floats seemed to be having fun. Nice area too.....:yesnod:

The guys flying the CapeAir 402's were kinda bored.

I did escape Detroit. It was a very welcome day.

OP,

This horse has been beat to death. Do a search. Some forums on the web are dedicated to airline pilot issues.

Bottom line, the outcome of an airline career is highly variable, much more so than your average 9-5 IMO, when it comes to lifestyles differences among otherwise equal peers. I also think age plays into the decision-making process of how one views the pitfalls of such vocational choice. People favored by hiring waves and subsequent strides in seniority have little to complain about; those stuck in hire and fire furlough scenarios are much less impressed with the "career".

For my part I can tell you my biggest objections to a professional flying gig (in the civilian world,Im military reserves) is the lack of domicile security (I, too, wish to see my significant others during the week, not once a month like some visitation prison punk) and the lack of lateral income portability (can't take my X years of experience across the street at the age of 45 with kids in school and financial commitments of consequence, like 90% of the professional world out there is able to do). The retirement vehicles are crap too, which is par for the course. I grew up with two parents with classic pensions, so the 401k swindle may be sustainable to the " market" but it ain't gonna get median income earners anywhere NEAR a 75% or even 50% of peak income retirement; my parents pensions may be unsustainable, but at least the ---kers are getting paid and they did manage to stick it for 30. These days even if I stuck with thirty the best one can get is a 1% per creditable year annuity with uncle sugar, sans some LE pensions out there. For the rest, lump o coal. I digress.

A lot of domicile bases are in high cost of living areas and are generally a losing economic proposition. The thought of commuting across the land in the same aluminum tube for years on end seem as palatable to me as jabbing the very eyeballs out that allow me to even fly in the first place. I have military colleagues that make the trek to Anchorage from the SE US for that airline paycheck. Good on em, you couldn't pay me enough to do that for a week. To each their own. As to the regionals, Jesus Christ my heart goes out to those dudes. As a mil flyer, one could feasible skip those (most of the time anyways) by building TPIC in the military. I understand the starry eyed civilian pilot doesn't have much of a choice, but I would personally skip the profession outright if I was asked to sell myself short like that. Paying dues is a figment of people's imagination. Gen Y folks and younger should know by now that getting on a hamster wheel that will not honor their loyalty is a waste of time. The days of getting a handshake and a good deal died in the 80s I'm afraid. Legacy employers are for the history books these days.

And ditto on the expat flying gigs. Good on those dudes, but I don't care how much north of 10K/mo you pay me, my life is here, my culture is here, my family is here. No amount of money can make me look at being a chaffeur in Dubai any less arduous. Again, to each their own.

Good luck to ya.

So school me Hindsight, what did you end up doing instead ?

Sure had a lot to say about a subject that is supposedly a dead horse......:lol:

Back