Pilot As A Second Career? Possible? Worthwhile? Advice?

When you take that flying from the point where you get to direct when, where and how its done to a company dictating those things some of that love of flying will be killed off.

It's true that dealing with an adversarial management does take some of the whimsy out of the day, but the flying is still flying, and one has to separate the view of what one does between management and doing the job.

Most would agree that they love the job, if it weren't for management.

I love the 747. I don't love management. Management makes a union absolutely necessary, not only for the protection of pay and rights, but for one's safety. Take away crew scheduling and the crap they pull, and it's not a bad environment at all.

I bet if you shook Doug's hand, it would be like shaking hands with a catcher's mitt.

I have no idea what that means, but I wear a size 8 flight glove, am balding, pudgy, have bad teeth, don't hear so well, and could really use a cane, and am best described as butt-ugly.

ATP, a type rating in the Citation 750 or comparable heavy jet preferred and a minimum of 5,000 hours total time with at least 1,000 turbine and 500 PIC jet required.

It's kind of funny that they consider a Citation 750 to be a "heavy jet."

Those requirements sound low, but then they're minimums. What really counts are competitive minimums...what you need to compete with other applicants. If a job is advertised as needing a thousand hours but everyone shows up with twenty thousand, the minimums are a thousand hours. The competitive mins are twenty thousand plus. It really depends who else is competing for the job.

Last edited:
Got this job opening today via email from the 99s. Kind of gives you an idea of what they are looking for out there:
Is that job in the Bay Area? :D

I fly a Citation 680 which is only 70 less than a 750. :idea:

I don't consider either of them "heavy jets", though. That must be something HR made up.

Is that job in the Bay Area? :D

I fly a Citation 680 which is only 70 less than a 750. :idea:

I don't consider either of them "heavy jets", though. That must be something HR made up.

I removed some details and since I didn't visit the site I don't know. Do you want me to send to you?

Typical job description generated by a large companies HR department. Only thing missing is that they will make a reasonable effort to accomodate blind applicants :)

I have no idea what that means, but I wear a size 8 flight glove, am balding, pudgy, have bad teeth, don't hear so well, and could really use a cane, and am best described as butt-ugly.

Hahahahahaha I just meant that your hands are probably of similar texture due to the work you have done

Back