35.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Cristan Eagle 011.jpg
    Cristan Eagle 011.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 190
Here's my Eagle... :p
(Couldn't help it!)

sy7e4y2e.jpg

Yours looks awesome though.

Darlin' I couldn't afford to feed yours!

Last edited:
Beautiful airplane Jeanie. Yours too, Eagle.

Darlin' I couldn't afford to feed yours!

I couldn't either, thank God I pay taxes to put fuel in that thing. However, your Eagle is much more useful and (dare I say) fun since you can share it with others! Enjoy your beautiful bird!

Please post registration of "your" Eagle. :D:D

Rocking picture!

Thanks. No N numbers for those things. I think that day I was Jazz03 taking off from Charlotte doing a flyby for Veterans Day Broncos vs Panthers game. It was a good day!

Since it's our eagle, I want a ride. :D

Since it's our eagle, I want a ride. :D

Sure thing, I'll put you on the list of all the people who've asked me for a ride in the last 14 years. So far, I'm still working on the first person on the list...

Sure thing, I'll put you on the list of all the people who've asked me for a ride in the last 14 years. So far, I'm still working on the first person on the list...

Yeah, I also fully understand why as much fun as it would be, you can't just take folks for rides. I can't even try to make a case for engine-related issues since I'm on a different team. :(

Oh well, a guy can dream. :)

I truly wish we could give rides. We don't even fly enough of our maintainers, I think those guys should get rides first! Too bad so many of them never get the chance. :(

The tower flowers used to get rides all the time when I was at Eielson. Good friend of mine worked the tower and was always giving the jet jocks a hard time. His orientation flight was in of all things a T-33. The pilots drew straws hoping to get to fly him. I think he up chucked before they were clear of the runway environment. He still had fun though.

Just another sign of how the times have changed... (Not for the better)

A lot of it has to do with regulations imposed by "big blue". Some of it is security clearance related but most of it is silly red tape. We have two 2-seaters and the back seat is empty 95% of the time.

Just another sign of how the times have changed... (Not for the better)

A lot of it has to do with regulations imposed by "big blue". Some of it is security clearance related but most of it is silly red tape. We have two 2-seaters and the back seat is empty 95% of the time.

Same same on the Navy side. It is an enormous amount of red tape just to get the Sailor of the Quarter or some other meritoriously worthy person a ride. Med up chit, trip to swim/survival school for 2 days, lots of paperwork routing, approval from CO, TYCOM, FRS CO, etc. Then you have to schedule to borrow an FRS jet as we don't have 2 seat aircraft in house. Months later when it is all said and done, if they still are good to go, it might happen. Compare that with a MIDN (or cadet) who comes through, and they will probably be getting rides within the week. I was that guy once upon a time, and it now makes sense how resentful some of the E's seemed at the time. If I were to poll the senior enlisted guys in my 3 shops, I would bet that with 100% certainty, exactly none of them have ever been in the backseat of a Hornet. Those are guys who have been working exclusively on this hog for 10-15 years at that.

The tower flowers used to get rides all the time when I was at Eielson. Good friend of mine worked the tower and was always giving the jet jocks a hard time. His orientation flight was in of all things a T-33. The pilots drew straws hoping to get to fly him. I think he up chucked before they were clear of the runway environment. He still had fun though.

Yeah years ago it was pretty normal for controllers to get back seat fam rides in the jets. Brother went up in a T-37 and I had friends in the Navy who got backseat quals and went up in A-4s. Marines never did it but just before I got out they started taking Marine of the quarter up in F-18s.

Used to be we could use our ATC "pink cards" to get free jump seat rides on airliners. I think after 9/11 all that stuff was canceled. Everything good in aviation finds a way to get restricted or canceled by over regulation.

It looks a bit different now. In the bottom left where the red button is, there is our one and only color screen there. No moving map or anything but it does show lines that you load from mission planning software to keep us in our MOA/W area/ R area.

The layout is a pretty standard T, easy cross check. This pic makes the panel look higher than it is I think. It's def a steam gage airplane!

The reference cites that panel as being from an A model, so I'd figure they'd get updated over time. :)

I'm sure like anything you'd get used to it and it's probably better in person. I've never flown a T-pattern panel. I've also never had a "weapons" panel.

The layout is a pretty standard T, easy cross check. This pic makes the panel look higher than it is I think. It's def a steam gage airplane!

I was gonna say, the AI, HSI , ALT, VSI look to be in pretty familiar places. Even has the engine instruments to the right of the um.. 4 pack

Jeanie that's a pristine looking Eagle........wonderful planes. I last saw a good looking blonde climbing into one of those at Santa Paula airport here in Ca.

Well, I have now taken ownership of said eagle and have a few more pics to post but can't off the iPad. So I will post them when I get home....

Sure is fun to fly :goofy: Interesting to learn to land... Especially with a tallish CFI in front- makes the take off and landing extra blind.

Especially with a tallish CFI in front- makes the take off and landing extra blind.

These airplanes will cure you of the desire to have any forward visibility whatsoever. :D

I couldn't either, thank God I pay taxes to put fuel in that thing. However, your Eagle is much more useful and (dare I say) fun since you can share it with LOTS of others! Enjoy your beautiful bird!
Fixed that for you since you do have a backseat. Nice plane. First computer game I ever [paid] for was Microprowse F15 Strike Eagle. You had to boot the PC from a 5 1/4 " floppy. (TECH NOTE for you youngsters: bendable disk that stored 320k worth of data.)

I last saw a good looking blonde climbing into one of those at Santa Paula airport here in Ca.

Jeanie was in California??

Great looking Eagle, Jeanie. I'll fly your Super D for you if you want so it won't get rusty :).

Ha! I wasn't in California and I'm not blonde :)....
Thanks, but I traded Rosy to the guy who had the eagle....

I'm curious. Is the Eagle easier to land, slow down and park than the Pitts ? I could land the Pitts pretty well.... but then I'd get really happy with the rudder pedals, full left full right and the Instructor would take over. I'm not sure I ever got it below about 50mph before the instructor had to say, "I got it" . LOL

I'm curious. Is the Eagle easier to land, slow down and park than the Pitts?

Most would agree that the wide spring gear of the Eagle makes the airplane significantly less skittish and sensitive on the landing roll. The Pitts has narrower, stiff bungee gear and feels very different on the ground. The bungee gear of the Pitts is more rugged and tolerant of extreme drop-in landings, but it's also much draggier and requires the bungees to be replaced at intervals. But the gear is simple, and easily scratch built - unlike spring gear. The Eagle spring gear is slightly heavier, but much more aerodynamically clean, and essentially maintenance free. Lots of single-hole Pitts have been converted to spring gear. Another thing that de-sensitizes the landing roll is a locking tailwheel on a long rod spring.

Well my 540 Eagle is a handfull. If you are not 100% on top of it you are in trouble. It is no easier on the ground than the S-2C I had.

Back