Pictures from my last XC

RossFischer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyin Fisch
A couple weeks ago I took my dad and brother to Stephenville, TX for some time building and a little BBQ....ok...a lot of BBQ! Here's a few photos of the trip.

Enjoy!

.Mac web gallery

Very nice... how do you like flying with the G1000 panel? I'm thinking about getting checked out in the G1000 172 at my school once I get the money saved back up. I really liked the Piaggio in the early shot and was that a Beech Starship in the last shot?

Great pics!

Looks like a nice part of the country for sure!

And the food!!!

Awesome photos, Ross. Looks like a fun trip.

Reminds me...it sure is nice to be checked out in both the NAV II and NAV III C172SPs at my school. Both are well equipped and I enjoy knowing how to fly both.

Last edited:
Flying the G1000 is a blast, safe too. I can't wait to do instrument stuff in it (talk about easy!)

My favorite features are lean assist, (I can know for sure that I'm burning 8.8 Gal/hr) VNAV, Terrain and obstacle awareness, wind direction and speed indicator, Nexrad weather (METARs and TAF's in the plane are AWESOME!) and TIS....oh yea, and the big magenta line!

A little overkill for a 2 hour VFR flight where there aren't any mountains, TFR's or really busy airspace? Maybe. But DANG it's cool! (and I'm a tech nerd)

PJ, yes, that's one of 5 starships still flying. I got to chat with the pilot and even took a step inside the thing (WOW!). What a cool aircraft, what a sad story!

Thanks guys!

If there's one piece of advice I could give on the G1000 and obtaining an instrument rating... learn to fly a pair of needles, first. Use a Nav II Skyhawk for IR training through approaches at least then transition to glass panel.

I honestly believe the glass and the largely GPS system makes one too dependent on GPS and somewhat lazy. I noticed you mentioned the magenta lines. "Twist 10, Turn 10" makes arcs a lot more fun to learn! The only similar solution in the G1000 is train with the displays in revisionary mode so there are only the instrument indicators with an HSI and engine indicators. Turn off the GPS inset and wind barb.

Very nice photos! Looks like the engine cowling on the pilots side has a hurt? Around these parts pilots just love the G-1000 until the screens crap out during a flight then they are G-LOST. It happens more than you might think on rentals especially. Thanks for sharing!

Nice spot! Yep, the cowling had a little crack in it. Those screws seem to like to pop out a lot, causing a little bit of force from a screwdriver that probably cause the crack.

I've had it drilled into my head that you have to be prepared for a failure. I've probably got more "reversionary time" than I do time under the hood. I'm perfectly capable of flying the plane with the two screens not working. (Most of the time in the G-1000, you at least have partial panel). It's pretty cool how I do it, a sectional, E6B, and a whiskey compass! ;)

Kenny, thanks for the input on learning with needles first. I'll actually be doing my instrument in college, so the G-1000 won't go with me, but at my current school we train people on NAV II's and then transition to the G-1000 if they want it. Shoot, a G-1000 aircraft (especially with the new GFC-700) a dog could fly an instrument approach. I have to learn SOMETHING for all that money! :D

Flying the G1000 is a blast, safe too. I can't wait to do instrument stuff in it (talk about easy!)

You don't want easy. :no:

If there's one piece of advice I could give on the G1000 and obtaining an instrument rating... learn to fly a pair of needles, first.

Amen.

After getting my IR with a very thorough CFII (extreme examples of his sadism: Partial panel unusual attitudes, and flying on airspeed and magnetic compass alone... both in actual!), I have the skill to paint a picture of my situation in my head, and that moving map in my head is WAY better-looking than any glass panel. :yes:

Then, after I was done (and well-versed in Garmin knobology from lots of time with a 430) it took all of about 45 minutes to transition to flying instruments with the G1000. Hardest part was just getting used to interpreting the instruments that look different (ASI/Altimeter on tapes instead of round gauges, and the "ball" and TC representations) and painting the picture in my head using them.

That said, it's a heckuva nice system and when it's working gives you a ton of information that can be used to increase safety, if used properly (ie, don't use the presence of the green rings to fly right to the edge of 'em! :no:)

Back