Pictures from inside a jump plane

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
And no, I did not jump out. I went for an observation ride and got to sit right seat in a Caravan. Nice airplane, kind of like a really big 172. We went up to 4,000 feet, disgorged a few passengers, went up to 10,000 feet, dumped out the rest, and dove -- and I mean DOVE -- back down to the ground. The VSI said 3000 feet per minute. Apparently, fuel costs too much to waste time on niceties like a comfortable descent. We were down in 2 or 3 minutes. The pilot offered me another ride with the second group. I would have gone, but my ears were hurting.

I'll say I was impressed with how carefully the guys got ready, checking everything they wore, fastening helmets. They also spent a lot of time afterwards repacking their chutes. There are all kinds of emergency backup systems in place -- two chutes, and my friend (who was on that flight, and who I was supposed to jump with, haha) carries two knives that can cut a cord that gets tangled. Managed risk again, much like flying. Skydiving always seemed a daredevil sport to me, but I was wrong.

Here are a few of the 55 pics I took inside the airplane, in case any of you are curious about what it's like. I also have a lot of photos of the scenery and the panel; just ask if you'd like to see them.

Dang, those pictures made me twitch again for just a few minutes.
Although there is something drawing me back.....

Let'sgoflying! said:
Dang, those pictures made me twitch again for just a few minutes.
Although there is something drawing me back.....
Uh-oh. I've heard that before, Dave. :)

Ray has a great operation there.

That Caravan was the replacement for my 182. I bought it from him when he was moving up.

Next time you got to jump :) :)

Maybe you can do a tandem with Bart at Spadero's :)

Eamon said:
Ray has a great operation there.

That Caravan was the replacement for my 182. I bought it from him when he was moving up.
Oh, I didn't realize that. I liked the Caravan. It has a few more dials than I'm used to, but it didn't seem to be that much more complicated.

I liked being out there. It's such a huge runway -- 11,000 feet -- that you feel like you're in the middle of the prairie. Lots of sky, long grass blowing, loud rock music....interesting atmosphere. I didn't get to meet Ray, though.

Next time you got to jump :) :)
No way.

Maybe you can do a tandem with Bart at Spadero's :)
That'll be the day. :hairraise:

Back