Picture time! Glass blowing. Pool destruction.

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
Carol and I took a vacation in mid may to Luray, VA, for glass blowing classes and a visit to Luray Caverns.

This post contains pics from our glass blowing experience. What a blast! This was done at "Oldway Art Center", in Sperryville VA. We drove down, but Luray airport is right there ... only I dont know where you'ld rent a car to get over the mountains to do the glass blowing. :)

But anyway... nuff said... here's pics:

And here are pics from our most recent project - death of a swimming pool.

Don't try this at home.

Wait, we were at home...

Greebo said:
Carol and I took a vacation in mid may to Luray, VA, for glass blowing classes and a visit to Luray Caverns.

This post contains pics from our glass blowing experience. What a blast! This was done at "Oldway Art Center", in Sperryville VA. We drove down, but Luray airport is right there ... only I dont know where you'ld rent a car to get over the mountains to do the glass blowing. :)

But anyway... nuff said... here's pics:

Love the photos. I will put Luray on my list of places to visit. I have a good friend who grew up near there and she likes flying with me so I believe I feel a field trip coming on.

If you like glass blowing, here's a glass manufacturing place in Switzerland that the tour buses don't take you to.
http://www.glasi.ch/glasmacher.html

Having built a pool of similar design, I'd suspect it would be easier to take it apart as long as you are not reusing it. A friend of ours had one selfdestruct. The side (facing the house of course) split dumping the entire contents into the basement.
I'd rather choose the time and place.
Nice pix. Maybe the next time I'm headed to Kentucky, I'll stop in Luray.

silver-eagle said:
Having built a pool of similar design, I'd suspect it would be easier to take it apart as long as you are not reusing it. A friend of ours had one selfdestruct. The side (facing the house of course) split dumping the entire contents into the basement.
I'd rather choose the time and place.
Nice pix. Maybe the next time I'm headed to Kentucky, I'll stop in Luray.
This was most certainly a "not to be reused" type of deconstruction. The moron(s) who assembled it before used steel bolts which had rusted solid, so teardown meant cutting the thing apart vs. a reusable disassembly.

But Luray Caverns are in VA, not KY. :)

Greebo said:
This was most certainly a "not to be reused" type of deconstruction. The moron(s) who assembled it before used steel bolts which had rusted solid, so teardown meant cutting the thing apart vs. a reusable disassembly.

I had a case where a pool construction company built an in-ground (plastic lined) pool for their customer without obtaining the required permits. When the customer found that a requirement of one necessary permit meant he had to delcare a wetland buffer easment for a substantial part of his remaining backyard he had contractor remove the pool. As the whole thing wasn't in place for more than a few weeks I suspect the disassembly was relatively easy, but nobody was very happy about the project.

Back