Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
from 2 weeks ago.
1. freefalling with 182 belly in background
2. finally stable with drogue chute out behind instructor
3. time to pull, jeez what is going on with that 'right' wing? Straighten out, pal.
4. touchdown!

Those cameramen did a good job. I refuse to show most of the pics because of what a 120mph wind does to a person's face. We are having fun with the pics and video tonight. The nightmares have almost stopped, too.

Oh crap!! How did you come to fall out of your airplane?? :rofl: Was that your first time? I still remember my first jumps vividly, and they were more than 20 years ago.

Wow, lucky you had a chute! What was wrong with the plane? :D

Nice pics.... I'll have to try that sometime.....errr, maybe not!

Yikes! No more for me, thanks.

Let'sgoflying! said:
from 2 weeks ago.
1. freefalling with 182 belly in background
2. finally stable with drogue chute out behind instructor
3. time to pull, jeez what is going on with that 'right' wing? Straighten out, pal.
4. touchdown!

Those cameramen did a good job. I refuse to show most of the pics because of what a 120mph wind does to a person's face. We are having fun with the pics and video tonight. The nightmares have almost stopped, too.

Yeah! You go, Dave! Sure you don't want to share a few more pics?

Nightmares?? :eek:

RE: the 1st pic

Assuming the airplane is in straight & level attitude I am surprised at the jumper's angle of decent relative to the airplane. I had thought it would be more a vector to the rear.

Richard said:
RE: the 1st pic
Assuming the airplane is in straight & level attitude I am surprised at the jumper's angle of decent relative to the airplane. I had thought it would be more a vector to the rear.

Actually you drop like a large stone.

J/K.

I have had long discussions with skydivers about my exit. We left facing the rear right quarter, and I immediately 'arched' as required. I thought we would immediately stabilize and stay in the same relative position. Wrongo. As we made preparations the instructor said, "We'll probably do a split S upon exit."
I have seen the video frame by frame and had made notes of what happened.
We did a series of oscillations about all three axes, pitching up and down between +70 and -70, rolls L and right as far as 150degrees in one direction and back, and we did a continuous turn to the left, I think it was. There was very little movement of any of the 'flight controls' through all this. We were basically a potato chip in the breeze* as we left the airplane... (*a horizontal, and rapidly reducing 90kt breeze due to the forward motion of the 182).
After a few moments of this oscillation, he pulled the drogue chute (a tiny parachute to slow and stabilize us) and soon after, we experienced the rush of air from beneath us -as we reached terminal velocity (120mph, or a VS of about 10000fpm). This gave us much more stability and control of our attitude and direction.

Back