Pics from Utah

skyflyer8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skyflyr
Two coworkers and I spent Saturday, March 17th through Tuesday the 20th in the Salt Lake City area. None of us had ever been there before. We attended a conference at Utah Valley State College in Orem and of course sampled the wonderful downhill skiing in the area. (Me, for the first time.)

Monday we went for a demo flight in one of UVSC's Diamond Twin Stars in Provo. I rode in the back at first and later flew left seat for a while.

The scenery was incredible. Check out these pictures. The first two are from the regional jet and the rest are from the Twin Star.

I hope to go back.

Attachments

• P3170005.jpg
    P3170005.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P3170006.jpg
    P3170006.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 30
  • P3190004.jpg
    P3190004.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 33
  • P3190007.jpg
    P3190007.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P3190009_2.jpg
    P3190009_2.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P3190012.jpg
    P3190012.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 30
  • P3190014.jpg
    P3190014.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 25
  • P3190019.jpg
    P3190019.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 42
I like how both have similar winglets. Very classy!

what did the demo flight entail Kate. I have a friend who got checked out in a DA42 in Arizona and he described the handling as very good, and really sweet with an engine out. Whats your impression?

what did the demo flight entail Kate. I have a friend who got checked out in a DA42 in Arizona and he described the handling as very good, and really sweet with an engine out. Whats your impression?

Well first of all I had heard the plane is very quiet and smooth running, which proved to be true. That was the first thing I noticed even before leaving the ground.

For the first part of the flight, my coworker was in the left seat with the instructor in the right. The main thing I learned from this part of the flight was that so much of that plane is automated. (G1000, FADEC, etc.) The instructor talked us through the startup and runup procedures. We were surprised to learn that the runup involves switching computers, not mags... because there are no mags. And the runup is very simple.

The elevation there was about 4,500 feet, and with four aboard and I don't know how much fuel, our takeoff roll was a couple thousand feet. The plane still climbed at 1,000 feet per minute or more. We took it up to 10,000 feet and flew around. My coworker did some steep turns. Then the instructor had my coworker do an emergency descent so we could see how easy they are to do in that plane. You can go pretty fast with the gear down.

When we landed and switched seats, I realized that I really need a cushion to see where I'm going in this plane very well. I had the instructor do the takeoff. I took over later. I thought the plane was responsive. There was just something too cool about flying a twin engined plane with a stick. I could see just enough over the panel to fly OK. (G1000 helped too!) I thought the rudder pedals were on the stiff side and at the same time I had a little trouble keeping the plane coordinated. There were a few bumps so maybe that wasn't all my fault. Otherwise I thought the plane flew great. I am just used to Cessna rudder pedals.

I did a bunch of turns and had a big smile on my face from all the scenery combined with flying this cool plane. We headed back to the airport. I descended and entered right traffic for a touch and go. The instructor talked me through the power settings, flaps, and gear. I thought the plane was very easy to control throughout power and configuration changes... maybe more so than any complex plane I've flown. It was easy to achieve a stabilized approach right on target airspeed. I did two landings which were both very soft, so I surprised myself. The instructor did one trip around the pattern himself just for fun, so he could get a chance to fly.

We didn't do any engine-out simulations. Maybe next time.

Overall I loved the visibility in this plane and how easy it was to fly. I loved how smoothly it ran, and of course all the nifty gadgets it has. With scenery like that out our windows, I wished we could take it on a long cross-country flight.

Skywest ?

Nope, good guess though. That one was operated by ASA. The flight was MKE-SLC on a Canadair 700. I was thankful for a direct flight all the way out there. It was nice. On the way back, I was on Delta to CVG and then Comair.

awesome Kate, your description Jives with Matt's. I also think the stick would be cool. What are the cooling considerations as far as jockeying the throttles with the Diesels? Can you just do whatever you want, are they liquid cooled? I can relate to the visibility, Diamond definitely shows its glider roots in that part of the design. It is wonderful, isnt it? I seem to get the idea that a DA42 would be a good addition to many FBOs flight line. Not only is it a good (seemingly) multi trainer but it is something someone would actually rent after getting their rating and go places with.

What are the cooling considerations as far as jockeying the throttles with the Diesels? Can you just do whatever you want, are they liquid cooled?

I haven't read the manual (yet), so I don't know much, but the instructor did say we needed a 2-minute cooldown period before shutdown. Good news is that the plane can taxi at just about idle so that counts.

As far as the coolant, yes it is liquid cooled, and a little bird told me that these engines are having a problem with leaking coolant into places where it shouldn't be.

I can relate to the visibility, Diamond definitely shows its glider roots in that part of the design. It is wonderful, isnt it?

I had a thorough DA40 demo flight in January, and can compare the two. The Twin Star has a little less forward visibility between the top of the panel and the top of the window. It's really nice not to have any posts blocking your view, unlike in Pipers for example.

I seem to get the idea that a DA42 would be a good addition to many FBOs flight line. Not only is it a good (seemingly) multi trainer but it is something someone would actually rent after getting their rating and go places with.

I agree it's an attractive and nice plane. It would definitely teach you to manage systems using a glass panel avionics system. UVSC is big on preparing its graduates for the airlines, so I see the link here. And as far as renting one at an FBO, heck yeah -- if I could afford it, anyway, I would love to rent one of these. (OK, gotta run and get my multi rating quick...)

You would need some extra transition training to go fly a Seminole or something else traditional though... "Prop? Mixture? Mags? What are those? You mean I have to feather the props myself?" Then again, after flying a DA42, who would want to fly a Seminole anyway???

That is some nice pics man, glad you had fun! :)

I haven't read the manual (yet), so I don't know much, but the instructor did say we needed a 2-minute cooldown period before shutdown.

That'd be to cool the turbos down. Tony, it is liquid-cooled which makes things much more stable so you should be able to do just about anything with it, within reason.

You would need some extra transition training to go fly a Seminole or something else traditional though... "Prop? Mixture? Mags? What are those? You mean I have to feather the props myself?" Then again, after flying a DA42, who would want to fly a Seminole anyway???

Who'd want to fly a Seminole BEFORE the DA42? :rofl:

Beautiful scenery! Although I didnt know they colored the winglets with delta's insignia in the first two pics. ;) I have a picture kind of like those from my flight to Salt lake city on monday to change planes. I'm jealous of the twinstar though! Our college has NOTHING like that and deffinitly nothing newer than '98 which still looks beaten up after all of us students and isntructors got a hold of them. I still wish we had at least one or two planes with glass so it'd be an easy transition.

Back