(Pics) First Aerial Photoshoot - What A Blast!!!

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
I thought one thing to add some zest to our Fun Flights group was get some air to air pictures of our planes. My long time friend is very good photographer and has several hours in small planes so I asked him if he could help us out. This was my first time flying "close". I don't know if you would call it formation but it sure as heck was fun and a bit tense. Anyway, here's the link to my buddy's flicker gallery (18 pictures total). Plus 1 shot if you don't want to follow the link. Next post will have thoughts about the flight. The Cherokee 180 is flown by its owner (Greg).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/84264717@N04/k8H533

GregsPlane.png

TLDR For Most.

Well it didn't take long to find a couple of takers. Since this was my first time I asked if we could keep it to just one flight that night. Greg (other pilot) and I spent about 20 minutes discussing the general plan, radio (122.75) and what we were after. Mainly, trying for as many shots as possible with his plane being lit by the sun.

First thing I learned...a Cherokee 180 with a 150lb guy and nothing else climbs darned good. In the Skylane with my fat arse and my "swarthy" photographer, his entire gear bag and 78gals of gas I could climb with him but not overtake.

When we leveled off I started catching him pretty fast so we jostled speeds for a bit and found our pace. I decided to always have him on my left. First, I could see him the best. Second I was always overtaking on his right (those FAR's). It was also scattered at 3800 so our first run angled generally towards the sun but had a lot of "shade" to deal with. As we came into the sun you could really see Greg's plane pop.

So we got several shots at 3000msl (2000agl). I would request a slight course change and tell him who turns first (him first left, me first right). That got us photos over fields, a lake or two and small town.

But then it was cloud time :)

There was this long running cloud angled NE to SW..perfect. We first climbed to 6500 and we both flanked the cloud (just wanted to say flanked!). The tops were around 7300msl but we never went over so the highest photos were taken at 7800msl.

I wish I could have taken shots from the other side. All shots from one side are a bit tedious. But I made myself stick to my plan as this was the first time I have flown close to other planes. I would estimate our closest point was about 150yds.

My buddy sat in the back of the Skylane. All shots are through the side windows. He was having a hard time getting shots back over his shoulder so not too many "head on" style shots. We think they turned out pretty good through the glass but definitely understand how having a window open would be ideal.

I think I was jacked for like 3hrs afterwards :) The scenery, especially up around the clouds and with another plane giving it scale and depth was just magic. The flight time was 50min and seemed like 5min.

I need to learn more about formation flying. I was learning how to slow down and speed up which I pretty much never do in cruise. Following him on the outside took me a while to figure out.

I hope we can get a few more to participate. A gorgeous Luscombe and a 414 on the field would be awesome.

Any advice is appreciated.

I see @Lowflynjack's photos and realize now just how much work must go into getting those amazing shots he shares. I am humbled!

Last edited:
Back