(Pics) Block Island Fly-in - Sunday Breakfast

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Hey guys, we got a good group together last Sunday for breakfast and just posting some photos if you are in them.

All the pics in a gallery here
http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/2015/11/11/block-island-fly-in-nov-2015

And a few samples attached below.

Ive had this idea for a few months now, that instead of doing air to air, and use my aircraft and 2nd pilot to do Pilot Portraits for you guys... We just find a good field for Low Pass, cut the photo out in Photoshop, and post on any backdrop I have! Its a crazy idea and makes the safety factor and cost equation change completely.

In my experience doing these air to air photos, from the L39 guys down to the old Cessnas, people are not trained for formation and do not want to pay for a 'fun photo'. The cross country Pilot Portraits mission was cancelled this summer, after I got 20-30 photo shoots under my belt and realized it was not interesting for people to pay for the expenses of 2nd plane, 2nd pilot, and photography.

So... what do you guys think of the cut out method? I could do it safely on the ground, and even print out big posters for people using my Epson Printer at the field. Really easy, safe and super cheap, everyone's favorite combo!

Looks pretty cool below and I would rate my technique, skills and intention here on a 2/10. If we picked a better field where I can get on the runway or hill on approach like Montauk and use the right equipment, lighting intention, etc... it can get a lot better looking.

BICutOut3.jpg

BICutOut2.jpg

BICutOut1.jpg

BI6.jpg

BI4.jpg

BI5.jpg

BI1.jpg

BI2.jpg

BI3.jpg

Great pics from one of my favorite airports, Montaigne could also get you a chance for some nice pics.

Nice pictures. If you know of a fly-in, post it. Might have gone.

Great photos. How do you get the colors to Pop like that, Camera or Software?

Nice photos, but a little confused - the photos of the T-6 and Bonanza over the mountains are clearly nowhere near Block Island.

Ive had this idea for a few months now, that instead of doing air to air, and use my aircraft and 2nd pilot to do Pilot Portraits for you guys... We just find a good field for Low Pass, cut the photo out in Photoshop, and post on any backdrop I have.

I took the Bonanza photo from Sunday in Block Island.
And pasted it on a different backdrop from a T-6 shoot in CA over the summer.

Looks pretty realistic and safer/cheaper than an air to air shoot
p

Ive had this idea for a few months now, that instead of doing air to air, and use my aircraft and 2nd pilot to do Pilot Portraits for you guys... We just find a good field for Low Pass, cut the photo out in Photoshop, and post on any backdrop I have.

So you can show my Cessna 182 doing a strafing run over an ISIS training camp in northern Syria? :)

Something just seems kinda wrong about photo shopping your airplane into somewhere it wasn't.

I agree, all the photos ive done before with pilots are not cut-outs

But.. risk, cost, etc...
People dont really want to risk it or spend $$ on Formation photos is my experience.

P

I agree, all the photos ive done before with pilots are not cut-outs

But.. risk, cost, etc...
People dont really want to risk it or spend $$ on Formation photos is my experience.

P

It's not the risk, although it probably should be. Pilots are cheap.

Great photos. How do you get the colors to Pop like that, Camera or Software?

+1 on this question. My airborne and flyong airplane photos always look like there was a haze layer even when it was CAVU.

Back