Pickling an engine...

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
My thread asking about cylinders and the responses gotten so far made me think of pickling an engine.

Can someone provide a link or two describing the correct procedure for doing and then undoing this?

Typically spelled out in the MM. There is "flyable storage" and true pickling as well.

If you get an A&P to do this for you, make sure you get a good dill. :rofl:

Typically spelled out in the MM. There is "flyable storage" and true pickling as well.

Currently don't have a maintenance manual, so a link to something would be appreciated.

And you other two owe some pun tax.

Simply it is replacing the oil with preservative oil, running it for a short time and presto.

Returning to flyable condition is changing back to regular oil.

Simply it is replacing the oil with preservative oil, running it for a short time and presto.

Returning to flyable condition is changing back to regular oil.

Got to add something to the cylinders. Preferable not real pickles. ;)

My thread asking about cylinders and the responses gotten so far made me think of pickling an engine.

Can someone provide a link or two describing the correct procedure for doing and then undoing this?

Doesn't it really depend upon what level of preservation you would like to achieve ?

it varies from placing it a can and purging with N2, to adding prez oil and running it.

Doesn't it really depend upon what level of preservation you would like to achieve ?

it varies from placing it a can and purging with N2, to adding prez oil and running it.

I'm thinking along the line of what the seller of the aircraft should have done when he realized he wasn't going to operate it for an extended period.

I'm thinking along the line of what the seller of the aircraft should have done when he realized he wasn't going to operate it for an extended period.

Where is it Az. or Borneo. ??

Where it will be stored is a big factor on what you do.

"Pickling" or storing? Pickling to me is what you do to an engine that has gone underwater and is a process that involves copious amounts of alcohol, Diesel fuel, transmission fluid, a couple of oil and filter changes and a few cans of CRC Electromotive. Storage is a process of getting all the fuel out, flushing clean oil and adding Lucas oil additive and Cam Guard then spinning the engine with the plugs out, fog the cylinders with LPS-3 then insert desiccant plugs in the plug holes and a desiccant bag in the vent tube. In a high humidity environment I'll wrap the engine in plastic, fog that with some more LPS-3 and toss in a couple more desiccant sacks.

For engines which will unused for more than 30 days, Lycoming specifies the procedure in SL 180B.

That procedure is a big job. And it doesn't end, either -- it calls for inspecting the dessicant every 15 days and then repeating the whole thing including oil misting if the dessicant changes color.

It's so much easier to just fly the plane more often than once per 30 days.

Thanks Ron... That was what I was hoping to find.

I like the note
NOTE
Need for preservation must be evaluated by the owner or operator of the aircraft based on environmental conditions and frequency of aircraft activity. The time periods given are recommendations based on normal conditions.

Don't get too concerned most airplanes sit for 3 months turns to 9 turns to 18 months.....More offenders than who do it correctly.

Don't get too concerned most airplanes sit for 3 months turns to 9 turns to 18 months.....More offenders than who do it correctly.

I believe the condition of the engine after setting a while is more due to the oil they were using prior to shut down than anything else.

I had a customer that put less than 10 hours per year on his 0-200/C150, for the 8 years he owned the aircraft. It started and ran great each time he flew it. and is now owned by a flight school who ran it to TBO with no problems……. the oil? EXON Elete.

I believe the condition of the engine after setting a while is more due to the oil they were using prior to shut down than anything else.

And how many hours it had on it before it started to sit. The more hours, the more likely there is a nice coating of protective varnish on the innards.

Look's like a primary take away for me is to never let the engine sit for long periods of time.

If for some reason that inactivity is going to occur (I can't fly it for a long period for some reason), I'd be better off creating a situation where another pilot could operate the aircraft in my stead.

A short term dry rental agreement to another pilot sounds like a simpler and more beneficial solution than letting it sit or going through the requirements for preservation.

Back