Picking up radio static all of a sudden....

callegro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Callegro
Just outta the blue, I've been starting to pick up radio static. Seemed to happen during/after the flight that I accidentally started up with the avionics master on. Not sure if that is what triggered it, but about 30 mins into the flight, I start picking up 2 types of static. One, a faint steady static and the other a sharp, couple second long intermittent along with it. I have tried to troubleshoot in the air....checked lights, transponder, mags, different power settings, you name it.....any other solutions you guys might throw at me?

Thanks in advance

So, I had this happen to me before. I am not saying this is the same thing, however.... lets start with the simplest things first....

Have you plugged anything in to your cigarette lighter? Such as a fan.... (like I did?)

That caused all my static & whining.

Good luck!

I do have my Garmin Aera plugged into my cigarette lighter....however, doing a short flight without having it in the aircraft....the static was still there.

Thanks for the input though!

If the static on my aircraft changes with engine rpm is may be something wrong with my alternator. If the static goes away when I shut off the alternator then it can be either a break in the coils on the diodes. I have had one of each.

I have also had static from a bad ground and that may be much harder to locate.

Good luck!

Both radios? If you have a power supply try recreating on the ground.

My friend just took his in for static. The guy said his ELT antenna was too long and cut a few inches from it. He also had something added to isolate alternator noise.

My friend just took his in for static. The guy said his ELT antenna was too long and cut a few inches from it. He also had something added to isolate alternator noise.

That problem rarely starts up out of the blue.

One of my comms died a few months ago. I pulled it out of the dash and then heard something rattling around inside. I popped the cover off and the small metal cover that goes over one of the transformers in there had come off and evidently shorted power to ground. I removed that metal shield and replaced the internal fuse (I used to be an electronic technician) and slid the radio back in. It now has a little bit of static. I saved the shield and will likely pull the radio again and solder it back in which should get it back like it was (nice and quiet).

Maybe a shield came loose in your radio but didn't short anything out??? Also, in electronics in general, poor solder connections are very common. Maybe you simply have an internal radio problem.

I began getting static a few years ago that got progressively worse. Many said to check ELT - but it wasn't the cause. Had avionics shop check everything, rewire grounds, replaced com1 and com2 antenna, coax to the antennas the works. Real flaky static, usually worse near the ground and improved once in cruise. Turns out the volume/squelch on the KX-155 comm 2 worked loose and was causing havoc across both comms ... sure wish this had been isolated much earlier and many dollars ago:(

Just outta the blue, I've been starting to pick up radio static. Seemed to happen during/after the flight that I accidentally started up with the avionics master on. Not sure if that is what triggered it, but about 30 mins into the flight, I start picking up 2 types of static. One, a faint steady static and the other a sharp, couple second long intermittent along with it. I have tried to troubleshoot in the air....checked lights, transponder, mags, different power settings, you name it.....any other solutions you guys might throw at me?

Thanks in advance

99 44/100 % of the time it is mechanical or corrosion problems where the antenna/coax attach to the airframe.

Jim

I got a horrible static sound every once in a while during my training and we couldn't figure it out as we messed with the radios and audio panel. Turns out the issue was a small switch on the instrument panel for receiving marker beacon signals (circled in pic below) that was left on...and we were nowhere near one.

Attachments

• snip.JPG
    snip.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 37
Turns out the volume/squelch on the KX-155 comm 2 worked loose and was causing havoc across both comms ... sure wish this had been isolated much earlier and many dollars ago:(

How would you even hear static from Com 2 when it wasn't selected in the audio panel?

"Havok across both comms" makes zero electronic sense.

Unless the audio isolation of your audio panel blows serious chunks.

And why wouldn't someone have already set the audio panel to Com 2 and pulled out the knob and rotated it to see if squelch was open and/or the volume was working, if there was loud static whenever Comm 2 was selected?

I do not get the audio troubleshooting that pilots do. This really isn't rocket science. If a knob is so loose that it doesn't work, the problem would be pretty obvious simply by rotating it.

I think someone fed you a line of crap if that story came from whoever fixed it.

How would you even hear static from Com 2 when it wasn't selected in the audio panel? "Havok across both comms" makes zero electronic sense. Unless the audio isolation of your audio panel blows serious chunks.

Squelch was kicking in initially from ground interference which initially started when flying near high output antennas or the hospital district. Checking grounds and antennas helped somewhat... the low flight radio interference would trigger the squelch as if you pulled it. Initial ideas from here and red board were that there might be an ELT problem (excluded immediately).

And why wouldn't someone have already set the audio panel to Com 2 and pulled out the knob and rotated it to see if squelch was open and/or the volume was working, if there was loud static whenever Comm 2 was selected?
Gee, there's an idea ...

Comm2 was the worst ... again, symptoms were squelch as if pulled (not pulled) worse on comm2 due to interference. Your ideas are the ones you try the first day things occur. After reducing RF problems, the original KX155 you could force it to do it by bumping the side of the volume/squelch knob. Until the other RF problems were reduced, you couldn't even figure that part out.

I do not get the audio troubleshooting that pilots do. This really isn't rocket science. If a knob is so loose that it doesn't work, the problem would be pretty obvious simply by rotating it.

What's so hard with eliminating factors one at a time? All of your ideas were exhausted in the first several minutes of trouble shooting. Compounding problems is that it took 3 years to become continuous ... it was so intermittent and short lived at first that it was hardly noticeable and was multi-factoral in origin. The knob was never loose, switch itself wears allowing you to engage squelch by slightly bumping it left to right rather than pulling it. The avionics shop dropped my radio and had to replace mine with a replacement AFTER getting repaired ... guess what? The replacement did the exact same thing the first time it was checked.

I think someone fed you a line of crap if that story came from whoever fixed it.

That's actually my story, through two very good avionics shops. It'd be nice if everything in the world was as straight forward as you'd like it to be ... but it often isn't. I also don't have a basic panel ... the previous owner spent a ton upgrading the panel and to say its maxed out would be an understatement. These certified AC don't qualify for wiring harnesses like the experimentals that make things as easy as you'd like them to be if you have a complex panel.

Squelch was kicking in initially from ground interference which initially started when flying near high output antennas or the hospital district. Checking grounds and antennas helped somewhat... the low flight radio interference would trigger the squelch as if you pulled it. Initial ideas from here and red board were that there might be an ELT problem (excluded immediately).

Gee, there's an idea ...

Comm2 was the worst ... again, symptoms were squelch as if pulled (not pulled) worse on comm2 due to interference. Your ideas are the ones you try the first day things occur. After reducing RF problems, the original KX155 you could force it to do it by bumping the side of the volume/squelch knob. Until the other RF problems were reduced, you couldn't even figure that part out.

What's so hard with eliminating factors one at a time? All of your ideas were exhausted in the first several minutes of trouble shooting. Compounding problems is that it took 3 years to become continuous ... it was so intermittent and short lived at first that it was hardly noticeable and was multi-factoral in origin. The knob was never loose, switch itself wears allowing you to engage squelch by slightly bumping it left to right rather than pulling it. The avionics shop dropped my radio and had to replace mine with a replacement AFTER getting repaired ... guess what? The replacement did the exact same thing the first time it was checked.

That's actually my story, through two very good avionics shops. It'd be nice if everything in the world was as straight forward as you'd like it to be ... but it often isn't. I also don't have a basic panel ... the previous owner spent a ton upgrading the panel and to say its maxed out would be an understatement. These certified AC don't qualify for wiring harnesses like the experimentals that make things as easy as you'd like them to be if you have a complex panel.

All of that still doesn't explain why you would hear it at all if Comm 2 was NOT selected on the audio panel.

It sounds like you're saying the potentiometer went bad, (bumping the knob made it intermittent) which has nothing at all to do with the (removable) knob.

As far as certified vs non-certified wiring harnesses, I have no bloody idea how that matters in this case. If the harness was suspect, swapping the two KX155s in their trays would have adequately shown that the problem followed the radio, not the harness.

Look, I'm just saying if your local shop is filling your head with this garbage, find a better avionics person. A busted pot that you can wiggle hard and cause to open and close a squelch is like "two-way radio 101" class.

The rest of the story makes so little electronics or standard troubleshooting methodology sense, that I'm concerned they're feeding you some really weird ideas about how it's done. If they charged a lot of labor hours looking for this, caveat emptor.

Been there, done that... watched an avionics shop simply MOVE a problem instead of addressing it, and damage a second radio in the process. Well, they didn't follow a process, actually... they just made something up and tried it without thinking.

Or as the funny commercial says, "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works!"

Back