Picking up an ELT when neither tower nor approach hears it.

Darsh

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Darsh
Today I was flying along the chicago lake shore with flight following from KMDW while monitoring 121.5 as I usually do. All of the sudden the familiar wooping noise came on, and I reported what I heard to MDW. He didn't pick it up, nor did all the commercial traffic. It got stronger as I got closer to KPWK, and reported what I heard to PWK tower. They didn't hear it as well. Any ideas why no one but me could hear it? The wooping noise was freaking my pax out so I tried getting the situation resolved.

Simple answer: Line of sight. You were at altitude. A weak ELT a long ways away from the ground stations (often with RF absorbing "stuff" in the way too) won't be heard by them, but you'll hear it easily.

Sadder thought: I've had to tell certain local towers (who's airport identifiers shall remain anonymous to protect the non-innocent) to turn up their 121.5 receiver before saying they "couldn't hear it", when I knew it was on their field. :(

Altitude trumps all at VHF and above... our Amateur Radio FM repeater transmitter near Colorado Springs has blown an RF power amplifier and is operating on exciter power only, of roughly 250 milliwatts. It's 3000' above average terrain on top of Cheyenne Mountain (yeah, the mountain with the old NORAD stuff inside of it) and the repeater is weak but perfectly copyable 30 miles out down on the ground. No problem at all.

You're experiencing the opposite, you're up high and the transmitter is down in the weeds.

There are ways to pin-point that transmitter from the air, even without fancy gear. Look up "wing-null" method if you have antennas centered either above or below the fuselage where the wing crosses it. A couple of "nulls", a chart, a couple of crossed lines (maybe four if it's a particularly difficult ELT) and you'd be able to chart exactly where it was and fly to it.

It's becoming a lost art in CAP and elsewhere, but it still works. Block the antenna with the wing between the transmitter and the aircraft's antenna, and the signal drops... go figure. Plot a line 90 degress to the aircraft's direction at that point, and you'e got line number one... fly a ways off, turn 30-45 degrees and do it again... a couple of lines will put you right over the top of the thing, usually.

Physics and all that rot. :)

Statistics show that there's probably and airport underneath you when you do that, too. False alarms are well over 90% of the activated ELTs...

Simple answer: Line of sight. You were at altitude. A weak ELT a long ways away from the ground stations (often with RF absorbing "stuff" in the way too) won't be heard by them, but you'll hear it easily.

Sadder thought: I've had to tell certain local towers (who's airport identifiers shall remain anonymous to protect the non-innocent) to turn up their 121.5 receiver before saying they "couldn't hear it", when I knew it was on their field. :(

Altitude trumps all at VHF and above... our Amateur Radio FM repeater transmitter near Colorado Springs has blown an RF power amplifier and is operating on exciter power only, of roughly 250 milliwatts. It's 3000' above average terrain on top of Cheyenne Mountain (yeah, the mountain with the old NORAD stuff inside of it) and the repeater is weak but perfectly copyable 30 miles out down on the ground. No problem at all.

You're experiencing the opposite, you're up high and the transmitter is down in the weeds.

There are ways to pin-point that transmitter from the air, even without fancy gear. Look up "wing-null" method if you have antennas centered either above or below the fuselage where the wing crosses it. A couple of "nulls", a chart, a couple of crossed lines (maybe four if it's a particularly difficult ELT) and you'd be able to chart exactly where it was and fly to it.

It's becoming a lost art in CAP and elsewhere, but it still works. Block the antenna with the wing between the transmitter and the aircraft's antenna, and the signal drops... go figure. Plot a line 90 degress to the aircraft's direction at that point, and you'e got line number one... fly a ways off, turn 30-45 degrees and do it again... a couple of lines will put you right over the top of the thing, usually.

Physics and all that rot. :)

Statistics show that there's probably and airport underneath you when you do that, too. False alarms are well over 90% of the activated ELTs...
Thanks dude, and I was about 4-5 miles off the coast of Lake Michigan, so I don't think it was a false alarm. I just hope whoever's ELT it was is alright. I'm just confused why the Southwest aircraft couldn't hear it.

Not saying it was, but something else you can try...

Old (illegal now) practice beacons are on 121.6, and new ones are on 121.775. You can tune up a bit, and if the "ELT" sounds clearer/stronger, you may have just been hearing bleed-over of a practice beacon that you were fairly close to.

Back