Picking Up a Banner

I landed at KSPG yesterday afternoon just as a banner plane was dropping their banner. Was always curious about the drop and the pickup.

Taxied extra super slow to see it, just came over the field and dropped it. Would have been cool to see a pickup, but I think he was done for the day.

I have a friend that owns a tow business. He has a hell of a time finding pilots willing and able to do the job. They only fly trikes now because it was so hard to find tw pilots. But a Cessna 150 with an o360 is fun.

I would be pretty nervous about throwing an anchor out of a flying airplane :eek:

How fast does the airspeed bleed off a 150 when you go vertical like that? STALL STALL STALL :eek:

How fast does the airspeed bleed off a 150 when you go vertical like that? STALL STALL STALL :eek:

Nah, and doesn't look like it went vertical, maybe 30 degrees of pitch up, it's the angle of the camera that makes it look more than it probably was. Also, it looks like it's only for 50-100 feet or so. Look at the last video, the plane is straight and level or a very slight pitch on the way out of the field, maybe 200 ft above the runway.

That photo gave me a double take. Tomcat towing? Haha. Wow.

Gunnery. I think this particular one just departed a carrier with it. They use contract aircraft like Cessna Conquests to pull target banners as well. Probably a lot cheaper than having an F-18 towing a banner for his buddies.

I watched this a few months back when I was wondering how it all works:

What kind of plane is that in the video in the OP? It kind of looks like an Air Tractor, but the engine is neither radial nor turboprop.

What kind of plane is that in the video in the OP? It kind of looks like an Air Tractor, but the engine is neither radial nor turboprop.
Maybe a Piper Pawnee?

new question. The article from the OP says they are banned in certain parts of Hawaii, I get it. How? Did the FAA do something, cause they are the only ones allowed to do that, right? If every beach/tourist town tried to regulate banners, or planes overhead, we would be screwed. And if the FAA did ban banners from certain areas, what was the justification, besides some congressman getting well paid by resorts and such to stop it?

The first time I saw this I was on short final at KCHD for 22L for a T&G during my flight training. I was focused on landing and my instructor said, "Hey, check this out!" I thought he was trying to distract me intentionally for training purposes. I quickly glanced over as the banner tow plane appeared to be dive bombing at the parallel runway (22R). I just caught a glimpse of it. It was very distracting, but I quickly got back to flying the airplane.

new question. The article from the OP says they are banned in certain parts of Hawaii, I get it. How? Did the FAA do something, cause they are the only ones allowed to do that, right? If every beach/tourist town tried to regulate banners, or planes overhead, we would be screwed. And if the FAA did ban banners from certain areas, what was the justification, besides some congressman getting well paid by resorts and such to stop it?

I know from having read a bit about it in Hawaii that they're banned in national and other parks. Similar to the Yosemite thing which I don't believe is an FAA rule either.

As far as elsewhere on Hawaii goes, I don't know.

But we all know Disney gets entire TFRs for no legal reason at all, and other equally as large entities don't have them -- so the idea that government won't just make up rules or bend/break them as they see fit, to make something happen a certain way, whatever way their owners want?

Totally normal. Not new precedent by a long shot.

Back