Picking a new engine monitor.

Traket92X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Traket
We are looking to install an engine monitor and I'm looking for input. Below is a picture of the panel as it almost is now (clock now digital). Assume for the moment cost won't be a deal breaker on it.

I like the idea of a full screen type one (i.e. EDM 930 or MVP-50P), but mounting that (I think) would require it being place over to the far right. That just seems to far for me.

On the EDM 900 I like the idea of fuel totalizers being separated by tank, but that would mean an extra $2k or so versus just going the EDM 830 route and using the existing totalizer and a pad of paper.

I just noticed that Insight is saying the G4 is ready to go. That could be a really nice option.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
Would you be opposed to putting the 800 in the spot where your fuel scan 450 is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All I can say is I've installed JPI EDM's of various types on three consecutive airplanes, and if I ever have another, it will get one, too.

All I can say is I've installed JPI EDM's of various types on three consecutive airplanes, and if I ever have another, it will get one, too.

Yup, the JPI was on our short list of "Must haves" for the Mooney.

Usually what I'll do (and it's much much cheaper than paying to do that thing that tells you how much you have in each) is write down the takeoff time on my notepad and then switch the tanks when I get down to like 9 or so in whatever one I'm burning off of.

I replaced my JPI EDM-700 w/FF with an Auracle CRM 2101 two years ago, couldn't be happier, reclaimed a lot of panel space and it's really easy to use, unfortunately it also reclaimed some space in my wallet too. I was able to use most of the JPI probes and the FF transducer. Thinking of putting the 700 in my Aircoupe now.

Last edited:
A 730 or 830 might look pretty nice on the left side in the unused hole. The rectangular shape would work well with the Aspen. You can start by purchasing the monitor with a minimum of options and add as you can fund it. I just put a 700 in my airplane with Flyingmoose doing a good portion of the work, so he is very up to speed with the installation.

I liked EI and have heard great things about their customer service. There were two items that swayed me to go JPI.
1. JPI has a 3.125" unit
2. JPI has fuel flow and totalization built into the same piece of equipment. With EI you have to by two devices to do that.

A 730 or 830 might look pretty nice on the left side in the unused hole. The rectangular shape would work well with the Aspen. You can start by purchasing the monitor with a minimum of options and add as you can fund it. I just put a 700 in my airplane with Flyingmoose doing a good portion of the work, so he is very up to speed with the installation.

Agree: A 700 would fit perfectly in the hole to the left of the TC. I would suggest getting the setup with the oil temp probe as well. You can keep the FS450 just as it is. BTW does your setup allow the FF data to run to your GPS? That would give you fuel data for the planning page on the GPS as well as the readout on the FF itself.

Last edited:
Agree: A 700 would fit perfectly in the hole to the left of the TC. I would suggest getting the setup with the oil temp probe as well. You can keep the FS450 just as it is. BTW does your setup allow the FF data to run to your GPS? That would give you fuel data for the planning page on the GPS as well as the readout on the FF itself.

It is connected to the GPS. The 650 always says fuel flow is 3.4 gph. However, the 450 accurately shows fuel to waypoint, fuel to destination, etc.

Does anyone have reviews for the Insight?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking at the panel more, it would be a big plus for me if MP and RPM showed up on the monitor in a location that was more visible since the way the current gauges are set up, the MP and RPM are hidden behind the yolk and impossible to keep in my normal scan.

It is connected to the GPS. The 650 always says fuel flow is 3.4 gph. However, the 450 accurately shows fuel to waypoint, fuel to destination, etc.

Does anyone have reviews for the Insight?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looking at the panel more, it would be a big plus for me if MP and RPM showed up on the monitor in a location that was more visible since the way the current gauges are set up, the MP and RPM are hidden behind the yolk and impossible to keep in my normal scan.

I recently installed an Insight G1, which is the base model. Other than the screen being a bit small for old eyes, it works great. The color helps you quickly understand what is going on. They do make models that use the bigger 3.125 hole and I would recommend that.

I liked EI and have heard great things about their customer service. There were two items that swayed me to go JPI.
1. JPI has a 3.125" unit
2. JPI has fuel flow and totalization built into the same piece of equipment. With EI you have to by two devices to do that.

EI has an incredible fuel management system built right in. It has many screens. Did you mean you have to buy the fuel flow sensor? :dunno:

http://www.buy-ei.com/Pages/MVP/MVP-50P_Fuel.html

EI told me that the UGB-16 ( I think that is right) would give you fuel flow but did not keep track of fuel used or fuel remaining. In order to do that you needed to get their fuel flow unit.

With the JPI I always either fill to the tabs (50Gal) or to the neck (72gal). When the JPI fires up it asks me if I have added fuel and I have two default selections being 50 or 72. I can also tell it if I have added or removed an odd amount such as what you would do if you were siphoning fuel off for W&B. It then keeps track of fuel used, fuel remaining and duration in hours and minutes at your present fuel burn.

If you do not put fuel in the airplane it will tell you (Mathematically) what fuel you have remaining on board.

The MVP-50 does about everything but costs a lot more. Great if you have the funds for it.

If we were to put in the MVP-50P, what would everyone think is the best way to place it?

It seems to me the only option would be to place it in the place of the glovebox unless we either move/lose to instruments or redo the entire panel.

Not sure what it's overall size is, but that unused hole on the left would put it very close to your normal scan.

Here's how my EDM fits in that hole on the left (turn head as necessary!)...

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    854.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Not sure what it's overall size is, but that unused hole on the left would put it very close to your normal scan.
It would work great for a monitor like the EDM 700,800, or Insight G4. I would love something more central in the event the passenger needs to see it, but I guess I can't have everything:sad:

Here's how my EDM fits in that hole on the left (turn head as necessary!)...

I like the look of that. Looks like a very tight but doable fit. Pretty well confirms my thought that nothing larger than the 730/830/900 will fit on that left side without removing instruments.

Back