Picking a flight school? Help needed

lorenzzach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lorenzzach
Hello to any pilot out there... I am new to POA and was drawn here through a few aviation related questions. I am a high school senior and I am trying to figure out the rest of my life, all I know is that I love aviation. I am at a bit of trouble deciding on which flight school to attend next fall. Should I go to Bowling Green State University and train there, or go to school in my hometown at University of Cincinnati Clermont for 2 years, and then get my bachelor's at Embry Riddle? I am interested in Riddle but I just can't afford going there for 4 years. I am planning on joining the Air National Guard this summer to help pay for it also. Any responses are greatly appreciated

Personally I'd start off in a glider, than tailwheel and go from there.

Get the cheapest and fastest 4 year degree you can online, unless the profession you're going into requires a specific degree (ie going to school for nursing or your CPA etc).

I would recommend staying local if you can live at home. Is the Guard unit near your home? If so definitely stay there. If you really want to be a pilot, you can't beat what the Guard offers.

I got the GI Bill and used my Guard unit for extra money through college. Start talking to the pilots right away and let them know you are interested in flying. I saved money and took small loans out to pay for my lessons while working my way through school. I don't see the need for going to a big name school like Embry Riddle, and I couldn't have afforded it at the time so it wasn't an option for me.

BGSU is a great school. I'm also originally from Cincinnati. Many students around here will get their private outside of school to get a jumpstart on the aviation program, and to save some money on training. That way you can attend a school for aviation, but get the flying done beforehand.

There are lots of thread on this subject here... College flight programs are great if you can afford them and ERAU is one of the more expensive options out there. Check out THE Ohio State University (seems like it will be instate for you) they have a decent flight program that is on the upswing. If you want an ERAU type school but better and for quite a bit less check out the University of North Dakota, Western Michigan, and Purdue. There are others but those are the big ones. Be careful if you decide to do training at BGSU or UC then transfer to another school because you need to have done IR and commercial at that school in order to quality for the 1000 hour exemption. Also don't go into debt wherever you go. That's the one consensus we get to in threads like this.

Welcome to POA!

Have you considered ROTC or military to fund college? Another route is to attend community college for 2 years, get your private pilot there, apply for grants and scholarships and transfer to Emery Riddle. Cheaper method this way.

As far as funding college, nothing is written that you MUST go to college the semester following graduating high school. The stage that your at not knowing what to do and feeling some pressure to make a decision is normal, but could become a time and money waste if you change your mind a few times.

Consider delaying college and entering the workforce in something entry level but fits your skill set and interest/passion. Do that for a year or two. You'll come out the other side much more wiser and mature, developed some skills that can serve you well through out life, know how to live in your own, and perhaps some cash saved up for education.

I'd look for a school that some organized and standard training plan and a consistent record keeping system such that you and your next CFI know what the prior CFI (who just left for a regional job) actually did.

Most GA flight training consists of a CFI just kind of guessing what the student did in the past and what should come next.

Go to school as cheaply as possible. Get your ratings as cheaply as possible. The less debt you have, the easier it will be.

so I was looking into schools just like you are only a short time ago, and it took me a bit to totally grasp how it really works. here's the break down:

if you go to pretty much any school for aviation they charge you an inflated tuition for some parts of the program. Its about 450-650 per credit hour depending on your residency, these are usually the flights.

your flights are charged separately, per hour, are no cheaper than doing outside the school and you have to pay the school for the credit on top of it. basically you have to pay all the same cost right up front for the training and then they tack a couple credit hours on top and charge you.

the GI bill, and I assume the guard, WILL pay for the minimum hours for each certification if you are in a part 141 school (i.e. 40 hours for the PPL) but you almost certainly will need more than that which will come out of pocket.

I believe private education loans will pay for flight training from a part 141 school, if you are willing to shoulder that debt. otherwise, guard or not, you will have to work while attending school to have a chance to complete the training with the curriculum.

you could do ROTC but the military's flight school notoriously difficult to get into. if you do ROTC it is not guaranteed you will become a pilot. you may find that you go to school, commission as an officer for 8 years flying a desk and never fly a plane. IF you do get into flight school you pretty much did the whole deal for free and will have a wonderful career ahead of you.

the part 141 college near me does most of the flight training in the summer and regular classes during the year, which kinda sucks because it would be hard to retain skills for 8 months and without doing it at least once in a while through the year.

part 141 schools do have the added benefit of giving you something like 250 hours credit from the FAA so you come out with a CFI and almost 500 hours. then you need to instruct for 1000 hours or so to be a professional pilot.

embry riddle is different in the way they charge, so if you live on campus it costs something like 50 grand a year total. military will pay $12,000, if you have great grades the school automatically gives you a $12,000 scholarship and you can get $5500 in grants usually if you are in the military because you would be considered an independant student. so you would have to come up with about $20,000 a year to go, best case scenario.

I am eligible for the GI bill, but, I have come to the conclusion that even with that I am better off just busting my ass working and paying as I go that way im not tied to a curriculum I might not be able to keep up with financially. then, if I ever wanted, I could go to school and get a degree in almost anything. everyone says the airlines dont usually care what the degree is as long as you have one and they are moving away from even requiring a degree.

If I were fresh out of highschool I would join the guard, go to school to become an air traffic controller, and work doing that for a while. get paid REALLY good money and use that and the network of people you meet on the job to get flight training. I think if someone were to do that they would have the college degree they need, be able to financially attain the necessary certifications to be a pilot expediently, have a ton of valuable experience, and always have a second career to fall back on.

Are there any community colleges close to you that will transfer to OSU, BGSU, etc.? Also look into CLEP tests. For $80 per test you can get up to 30 hours of credit, don't pay full price for English 101 or some other fluff credit course. They were also free when I was active duty, not sure about active duty/guard. They aren't hard. I took them after being out of school for 5 years and passed them.

Here is some info if you go into the Guard.

http://www.ong.ohio.gov/information/education/ongsp-3year-non.html

Army Warrant Officer Pilot Program? Do your degree while already in and flying?

I'd recommend that you go to your local airport and look into some Flight Schools.
Take a few lessons, and see if it's what you really want to do before you move on to College.

Flight Training combined with College is very costly these days. I went to a local Community College that had a Flight Training A.A degree course. Got up to my CFI before I graduated in 2 years, then went transferred to a 4 year College.

Saved lots of money and earned my self two Degrees! Good Luck!

Back