Picked up a parts washer... What solvent?

ifly4fun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I'm starting my annual in a week or two and this year it'll be in my own hangar so I decided to pick up a HF Parts washer special. For $79 for a 20gal I couldn't pass it up. This is a water based solvent parts cleaner so I was hoping you guys could offer some recommendations for what I can use in it that won't dissolve my airplane.

My guy runs mineral spirits in his.

Naptha is frequently used in shops. I think its because it doesn't evaporate.

Last edited:
He bought a Harbor Freight parts washer, not a real parts washer. The pump is alleged to have issues with solvent based stuff.

Didn't they have some sort of solvent in the store right next to the washer? If you think about it, how many airplane parts do you clean on your annual that are actually aluminum?

Maybe its Toluene. I know there is a solvent used and it doesnt evaporate much.

Didn't they have some sort of solvent in the store right next to the washer? If you think about it, how many airplane parts do you clean on your annual that are actually aluminum?
They did, and I may go that route but wanted to see if others had something better. It was $10/g so not exactly the cheapest stuff.

Back in PA the shop I dealt with there used a little spray can you could compress with air for spray washing engines, etc. It was common to fill the can up with 100LL (usually from the Navajo that was in the shop) and then spray that on the engine to wash it down. Worked great.

Back in PA the shop I dealt with there used a little spray can you could compress with air for spray washing engines, etc. It was common to fill the can up with 100LL (usually from the Navajo that was in the shop) and then spray that on the engine to wash it down. Worked great.
There was a day that the buck 18 guys and the connie fliers simply had their cowls open when the fuel truck came and then used the 2" fuel hose to wash down the engines while still warm. after the yuck hit the ramp, they'd throw speedy dry on it then pick it up with a vac-sweeper. nice clean ramp :) it's now a EPA super fund site.

He bought a Harbor Freight parts washer, not a real parts washer. The pump is alleged to have issues with solvent based stuff.

Alleged is a good way to put it. I've seen a lot of the cheap parts washers in shops that have the original pump and stoddard solvent in them. I've never heard of a fire or any problems using it with these pumps but doing so is obviously at your own risk.

The water based solvent stuff works but not that great. I'd look for something a little more aggressive personally.

To clean parts, I use the tub I made from 1/3rd of a 55 gallon barrel, and fill it with kerosene, then burn in my shop heater when not needed any more.

Alleged is a good way to put it. I've seen a lot of the cheap parts washers in shops that have the original pump and stoddard solvent in them. I've never heard of a fire or any problems using it with these pumps but doing so is obviously at your own risk.

The water based solvent stuff works but not that great. I'd look for something a little more aggressive personally.
After it is contaminated what do you do with it? dump it into your septic, or city sewer?

After it is contaminated what do you do with it? dump it into your septic, or city sewer?

I'm not sure which stuff you're referring to, the stoddard solvent or the water based stuff, but I have a hazardous waste disposal place nearby.

I'm not sure which stuff you're referring to, the stoddard solvent or the water based stuff, but I have a hazardous waste disposal place nearby.
either, disposing of it is a pita

Indeed. I usually just add stoddard solvent to mine. It disappears on its own over time. ;)
And how do you get rid of the yuck left behind?

most of the shops I know have filters in line to the brushes. they simply change those, and burn them in their wood stove.
Makes a stink, but "OH WELL"

And how do you get rid of the yuck left behind?

most of the shops I know have filters in line to the brushes. they simply change those, and burn them in their wood stove.
Makes a stink, but "OH WELL"

I take mine to work and they dispose of it. Admittedly, I don't do it very often so there is a lot of junk in the bottom of my tank. If I want to get something really clean I will wash it in the tainted solvent first then hose it down with fresh stuff. It also keeps my tank full that way too.

I take mine to work and they dispose of it. Admittedly, I don't do it very often so there is a lot of junk in the bottom of my tank. If I want to get something really clean I will wash it in the tainted solvent first then hose it down with fresh stuff. It also keeps my tank full that way too.
eventually you'll deal with that yuck in the bottom of the tank.

My HF parts washer has had stoddard solvent in it for several years, it doesn't get used much but still works fine.

Last edited:
Stoddard solvent or mineral spirits is the way to go... Stay away from any water based chlorinated solvents, as they can eat some aviation alloys pretty fast...

All the plastic in my HBF parts washer pump softened and/or cracked when I left the mineral spirits in it and closed the lid for a few weeks.

The replacement pump instructions clearly specify water based solvents only. :(

If you can afford it, there are companies like Safety-Kleen that can take care of your parts washer, so you don't have to worry about disposal or the EPA.

Mineral spirits. Cleans well and works better than the two water types I tried in past. Also one of the water based developed some odd slime after sitting for 3 months without use.

I've tried 2 gallons of WD-40, it actually worked well.

I've tried 2 gallons of WD-40, it actually worked well.
That makes sense:
WD-40
57-68% 64742-47-8 = Kerosene
<25% 64742-58-1 = Mineral oil
64742-53-6 = napthenic distillate
64742-56-9 = Light mineral oil
64742-65-0 = Heavy paraffinic oil

Back