Pick my plane

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
So, soon I will be a two motorcycle family. I’ve looked at cargo trailers and they seem to be really expensive so I was thinking about upgrading my Arrow II in for something that I can transport both motorcycles. I am soliciting suggestions. My first thought is a Shorts 330. But I was thought they were kind ugly looking.

One of my programs was the Shorts Sherpa SD-3-60, which had a cargo ramp in the back. Pretty efficient at only something like 100 GPH, but you have to suck on cannulas since no pressurization. The benefit is that you, your wife, and your 15 closest friends can also fit their motorcycles and only two engines to maintain instead of the 4 of the C-130.

The problem is that the Sherpa is so slow it's actually faster to drive.

Shorts. Hercules. Hmph. High wings all.

Get a surplus C-27. There were operational aircraft for sale by the pound in Af-stan after the AF said they didn't want to pursue them. The C-27 is a two engine C-130 (using the same engines) with a ramp and rollers.

Just beef up the mounts a little and Bob's your uncle!

plane-in-air-0-1446426901.jpg

I see lots of aircraft, but the ones you really want are all in the $2m range - Caravan, Kodiak, Casa 210. Other suggestions I’ve heard include a PC-6 or Otter, but I think both are too small.

coming “down”, an Antonov AN-2 might work if you don’t mind an Eastern European design, can get one imported and can find someone to work on it.

So, soon I will be a two motorcycle family. I’ve looked at cargo trailers and they seem to be really expensive so I was thinking about upgrading my Arrow II in for something that I can transport both motorcycles. I am soliciting suggestions. My first thought is a Shorts 330. But I was thought they were kind ugly looking.

Many good suggestions. I'll add, DHC-6, GAF-N22/24, Shorts Skyvan. If you want pretty, a Pilatus PC-12 would do the trick. If fuel cost is no concern how about an old DC-9-30 or 727-100. Also, and cheap is relative, I think you can get an A-380 "cheap" at the moment.

See there’s more to just carrying the motorcycles. you have to get them in the aircraft. That is why I like the idea of an aft ramp. Plus I was thinking about something big enough to convert it into a camper/toy hauler. Not having to get a hotel room would save me a lot of money. Leaning towards the C-27 Spartan.

Well if you limit yourself to airline airports they all have pallet loaders. Just saying. You could easily live in a 727-200 and you could modify the airstair into a ramp. Eastern Shuttle used to have a bunch. They sold them to some NY Billionaire. He might have few lying around.

They are a bit rare, but if you can find one, a Wilson Global Explorer or Private Explorer.
Global explorer is amphibious as well.
upload_2020-9-23_7-18-3.jpeg

Those things really fly.??

83048%20Skyvan%20N101WA%20Delta%20Aviation%20right%20front%20l.jpg
I had a ride in one long, long ago. I recall that it was noisy and shaky. But it looks easy to load and an easy conversion to bunks and a kitchenette.

Skyvan,“If it’s a rocking don’t bother knocking”.

Last edited:
Otter on amphibious floats. Mount motorcycle racks to the top of the floats or strap them to the supports, lol.

Oh yes, I’ve witnessed it.

They work on the same principle as helicopters (so ugly the earth repels them).

For reasons I don't understand I'm about to defend the Shorts 3-30 and 3-60. They look like the box other airplanes come in and they are slow, think Navajo speed, and they love runway, but . . . they are stable instrument platforms, and when you are hand flying at the end of a 16 hour duty day (old timey regs) that means a lot. They will carry as much ice as mother nature throws at them, and when you are flying the Great Lakes in winter that means a lot. They are simple to maintain and with a good MEL very high dispatch reliability, and when the out stations don't have maintenance that means a lot. They are excellent in turbulence, and when you spend your day dodging midwest thunderstorms that means a lot. The seats are comfy, and when you spend 12 hours a day sitting in it that means a lot. Are they flawed? sure. Are they ugly? Understatement. But they will always get you home, and that means a lot.

Reactions: Ted
Cessna P337 in a hanger close to me. Less then 50amu.

For reasons I don't understand I'm about to defend the Shorts 3-30 and 3-60. They look like the box other airplanes come in and they are slow, think Navajo speed, and they love runway, but . . . they are stable instrument platforms, and when you are hand flying at the end of a 16 hour duty day (old timey regs) that means a lot. They will carry as much ice as mother nature throws at them, and when you are flying the Great Lakes in winter that means a lot. They are simple to maintain and with a good MEL very high dispatch reliability, and when the out stations don't have maintenance that means a lot. They are excellent in turbulence, and when you spend your day dodging midwest thunderstorms that means a lot. The seats are comfy, and when you spend 12 hours a day sitting in it that means a lot. Are they flawed? sure. Are they ugly? Understatement. But they will always get you home, and that means a lot.

I’ve spent more time in my career working on the 3-60 than I care to have, but I developed a fondness for it. The pilots all said the same as you about them being slow but stable and able to handle lots of ice.

They’re planes that have their place. That place is largely in the past, but they’re good planes.

Back