PIC Time

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
Maybe a dumb question, but I've gotten some conflicting answers.

When can I log PIC time?

I did not log anything as PIC until after I passed my check ride. Is that correct, or should I have logged any solo time as PIC as well?

I swear that my CFI told me I couldn't log anything as PIC until my check ride, but that doesn't seem to be consistent with what I've seen a number of folks do.

Thanks,

-Dan

Short answer - you've missed some. Solo student flights are PIC. Afterwards, you can log pic when you're flying (including with an instructor) or acting as a required crew member (safety pilot).

Long answer - re-read FAR 61.51, part (e) in particular:

Sec. 61.51 — Pilot logbooks.

(a) Training time and aeronautical experience. Each person must document and record the following time in a manner acceptable to the Administrator:
(1) Training and aeronautical experience used to meet the requirements for a certificate, rating, or flight review of this part.
(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part.
(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:
(1) General—
(i) Date.
(ii) Total flight time or lesson time.
(iii) Location where the aircraft departed and arrived, or for lessons in a flight simulator or flight training device, the location where the lesson occurred.
(iv) Type and identification of aircraft, flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device, as appropriate.
(v) The name of a safety pilot, if required by §91.109(b) of this chapter.
(2) Type of pilot experience or training—
(i) Solo.
(ii) Pilot in command.
(iii) Second in command.
(iv) Flight and ground training received from an authorized instructor.
(v) Training received in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device from an authorized instructor.
(3) Conditions of flight—
(i) Day or night.
(ii) Actual instrument.
(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device.
(iv) Use of night vision goggles in an aircraft in flight, in a flight simulator, or in a flight training device.
(c) Logging of pilot time. The pilot time described in this section may be used to:
(1) Apply for a certificate or rating issued under this part or a privilege authorized under this part; or
(2) Satisfy the recent flight experience requirements of this part.
(d) Logging of solo flight time. Except for a student pilot performing the duties of pilot in command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember, a pilot may log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft.

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.
(1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-
(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;
(ii) When the pilot is the sole occupant in the aircraft;
(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or
(iv) When the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided—
(A) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft being flown, if a class rating is appropriate;
(B) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command is undergoing an approved pilot in command training program that includes ground and flight training on the following areas of operation—
( 1 ) Preflight preparation;
( 2 ) Preflight procedures;
( 3 ) Takeoff and departure;
( 4 ) In-flight maneuvers;
( 5 ) Instrument procedures;
( 6 ) Landings and approaches to landings;
( 7 ) Normal and abnormal procedures;
( 8 ) Emergency procedures; and
( 9 ) Postflight procedures;
(C) The supervising pilot in command holds—
( 1 ) A commercial pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate, and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; or
( 2 ) An airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; and
(D) The supervising pilot in command logs the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook, certifies the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook and attests to that certification with his or her signature, and flight instructor certificate number.
(2) If rated to act as pilot in command of the aircraft, an airline transport pilot may log all flight time while acting as pilot in command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) A certificated flight instructor may log pilot in command flight time for all flight time while serving as the authorized instructor in an operation if the instructor is rated to act as pilot in command of that aircraft.
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.
(f) Logging second-in-command flight time. A person may log second-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person:
(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of §61.55 of this part, and occupies a crewmember station in an aircraft that requires more than one pilot by the aircraft's type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument rating (if an instrument rating is required for the flight) for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.
(g) Logging instrument time.
(1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
(2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting instrument flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions.
(3) For the purposes of logging instrument time to meet the recent instrument experience requirements of §61.57(c) of this part, the following information must be recorded in the person's logbook—
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.
(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.
(h) Logging training time.
(1) A person may log training time when that person receives training from an authorized instructor in an aircraft, flight simulator, or flight training device.
(2) The training time must be logged in a logbook and must:
(i) Be endorsed in a legible manner by the authorized instructor; and
(ii) Include a description of the training given, the length of the training lesson, and the authorized instructor's signature, certificate number, and certificate expiration date.
(i) Presentation of required documents.
(1) Persons must present their pilot certificate, medical certificate, logbook, or any other record required by this part for inspection upon a reasonable request by—
(i) The Administrator;
(ii) An authorized representative from the National Transportation Safety Board; or
(iii) Any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer.
(2) A student pilot must carry the following items in the aircraft on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of the required authorized instructor clearances and endorsements—
(i) Pilot logbook;
(ii) Student pilot certificate; and
(iii) Any other record required by this section.
(3) A sport pilot must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights.
(4) A recreational pilot must carry his or her logbook with the required authorized instructor endorsements on all solo flights—
(i) That exceed 50 nautical miles from the airport at which training was received;
(ii) Within airspace that requires communication with air traffic control;
(iii) Conducted between sunset and sunrise; or
(iv) In an aircraft for which the pilot does not hold an appropriate category or class rating.
(5) A flight instructor with a sport pilot rating must carry his or her logbook or other evidence of required authorized instructor endorsements on all flights when providing flight training.
(j) Aircraft requirements for logging flight time. For a person to log flight time, the time must be acquired in an aircraft that is identified as an aircraft under §61.5(b), and is—
(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry with either a standard or special airworthiness certificate;
(2) An aircraft of foreign registry with an airworthiness certificate that is approved by the aviation authority of a foreign country that is a Member State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Organization;
(3) A military aircraft under the direct operational control of the U.S. Armed Forces; or
(4) A public aircraft under the direct operational control of a Federal, State, county, or municipal law enforcement agency, if the flight time was acquired by the pilot while engaged on an official law enforcement flight for a Federal, State, County, or Municipal law enforcement agency.
(k) Logging night vision goggle time.
(1) A person may log night vision goggle time only for the time the person uses night vision goggles as the primary visual reference of the surface and operates:
(i) An aircraft during a night vision goggle operation; or
(ii) A flight simulator or flight training device with the lighting system adjusted to represent the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise.
(2) An authorized instructor may log night vision goggle time when that person conducts training using night vision goggles as the primary visual reference of the surface and operates:
(i) An aircraft during a night goggle operation; or
(ii) A flight simulator or flight training device with the lighting system adjusted to represent the period beginning 1 hour after sunset and ending 1 hour before sunrise.
(3) To log night vision goggle time to meet the recent night vision goggle experience requirements under §61.57(f), a person must log the information required under §61.51(b).

Last edited:
Short answer - you've missed some. Solo student flights are PIC. Afterwards, you can log pic when you're flying (including with an instructor) or acting as a required crew member (safety pilot).

[/INDENT]

Thanks that is what I was thinking.

So should I go back and add in the extra PIC time?

Short answer - you've missed some. Solo student flights are PIC.
Agreed.

Afterwards, you can log pic when you're flying (including with an instructor) or acting as a required crew member (safety pilot).
Not quite true -- two points of concern.

First, other than solo, you can only log PIC time while you're flying an aircraft for which you are rated. So, while taking instrument training in a single-engine airplane, the holder of a PP-ASEL can log it as PIC time. However, if that PP-ASEL is simultaneously working in instrument and ME, and doing the IR training in a twin, s/he cannot log it as PIC time because s/he is not "rated" in twins.

Second, simply acting as a safety pilot does not by itself qualify you to log PIC time. You must also be acting as the PIC for the flight, which means a) being fully PIC qualified (landings, instrument rating if IFR, flight review, additional training endorsements like complex/HP, etc), and b) accepting final responsiblity for the flight, including whatever your pal in the left seat happens to do with the airplane. If you're acting as both PIC and safety pilot, then you can log PIC time for the time the pilot flying is hooded, but only that time -- no time logged when the hood is off.

That is what I thought, but my original CFI told me I was not to log anything as PIC until I passed my check ride...
Ask your original CFI where that is written, and then show that CFI paragraph (e)(4) in 61.51 quoted above and see what s/he says.

BTW, it may be your CFI is as old or older than I, because that's the way it was done many decades ago, but it changed a few decades ago.

Finally, it is customary for the applicant to log PIC time during a Sport/Rec/Private Pilot practical test even though s/he holds only a Student Pilot certificate at the time, and by 61.51(e), technically does not qualify to log the time as PIC time. Back when I started, that was the first PIC time you logged, although the regs have (as noted above) changed since then so you log PIC time during all solos as a Student Pilot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, that helps.

Another somewhat related question.

If I fly with a friend, in a plane I don't have a rating for, say complex. I can log the time I'm flying correct, just not as PIC?

-Dan

This brings up another question:

I had four flights with the same CFI.

Two flights were in the Cessna 150. The first flight, she had a student, and could only give me an hour for a "partial checkout". She was not happy with my landings and asked me to come back the next weekend. I came back the next weekend and completed the checkout.

Fast forward to weeks later and the same thing with the Cessna 172 checkout (only this time the reason we didn't finish on our first flight was bad weather).

I just noticed that for two she logged "dual" and "PIC" but for the other only logged "PIC".

Not sure why, since she signed / wrote them all in and since I was always the sole manipulator of the controls.

Should I go back and fill in those dual hours? Or should I tell her since her logbook has to match mine?

I know it sounds silly for me to want MORE dual hours in my book but I really like flying with CFI's.

If I fly with a friend, in a plane I don't have a rating for, say complex. I can log the time I'm flying correct, just not as PIC?
"Complex" is an endorsement, not a "rating." As such, it is not a requirement to log PIC time when acting as the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated. "Rated" covers only the things printed on your pilot certificate, i.e., category, class, and (if also required) type ratings. In fact, it doesn't include Instrument ratings, since those are not required to be considered "rated" in the aircraft. So, if you as a PP-ASEL and your pal go flying in his Bonanza, and he lets you fly the plane, then you can log that time spent flying the plane as PIC time even though he is acting as the PIC for the flight. However, if you're up in his single-engine jet, which requires a type rating as well as category and class, then you can't log it as PIC time regardless, and the only way you can log it at all is if your pal has a CFI and signs it as "training received" in your logbook.

Last edited:
I had four flights with the same CFI.

Two flights were in the Cessna 150. The first flight, she had a student, and could only give me an hour for a "partial checkout". She was not happy with my landings and asked me to come back the next weekend. I came back the next weekend and completed the checkout.

Fast forward to weeks later and the same thing with the Cessna 172 checkout (only this time the reason we didn't finish on our first flight was bad weather).

I just noticed that for two she logged "dual" and "PIC" but for the other only logged "PIC".

Not sure why, since she signed / wrote them all in and since I was always the sole manipulator of the controls.
Probably simple oversight on her part.

Should I go back and fill in those dual hours? Or should I tell her since her logbook has to match mine?
Assuming she signed the log with your CFI certificate number for those two flights with no "dual" time recorded, I'd suggest doing both -- putting the time into the "dual" column (technically, "training received," not "dual" any more, but many logs still say "dual"), and letting her know you did it.

Last edited:
Logbook entries:

1/21/2012 - Cessna 172 - partial checkout with crosswind landings - 1.1 dual / 1.1 PIC

1/28/2012 - Cessna 172 - aircraft checkout with slow flight, stalls, emergency procedures - 0.9 dual / 0.9 PIC

Those seem correct.

Then she did this:

2/4/2012 - Cessna 150 - 360's, stalls, slow flight, landings - 1.3 PIC

(NO DUAL WRITTEN IN LOG BOOK)

2/11/2012 - Cessna 150 - Landings, aircraft checkout - 0.8 PIC

Those seem incorrect.

And now, even more fun PIC logging:

1. I flew from the right (unexpected) on Saturday. It was really awesome. It was a Piper. Normally, I fly straight and level (yoke only). Not this time - full landings etc (pattern work)! I've never flown a low wing except for at altitude.

2. Should the owner (sitting left) have been a CFI to let me do this? He flew 747s in the past so one can assume he had a CFI long ago.

-or-

Is it his own plane to do with it what he wants?

3. Is the answer to number two based on ratings, certs, insurance, or other?

4. He told me to log the time but I am not "trained" for right seat. It feels OK this time to log because I truly did fly 100% and there is no "right seat license".

Logbook entries:

1/21/2012 - Cessna 172 - partial checkout with crosswind landings - 1.1 dual / 1.1 PIC

1/28/2012 - Cessna 172 - aircraft checkout with slow flight, stalls, emergency procedures - 0.9 dual / 0.9 PIC

Those seem correct.

Then she did this:

2/4/2012 - Cessna 150 - 360's, stalls, slow flight, landings - 1.3 PIC

2/11/2012 - Cessna 150 - Landings, aircraft checkout - 0.8 PIC

Those seem incorrect.
As I said, I agree. Now, did she or did she not sign the latter two entries with her CFI number? If so, just put the time in the "dual" column for those flights and tell her next time you see her. If not, then ask her about it before changing anything.

As I said, I agree. Now, did she or did she not sign the latter two entries with her CFI number? If so, just put the time in the "dual" column for those flights and tell her next time you see her. If not, then ask her about it before changing anything.

Just checked. Yes, all four are signed exactly the same. Full signature plus full CFI number.

1. I flew from the right (unexpected) on Saturday. It was really awesome. It was a Piper. Normally, I fly straight and level (yoke only). Not this time - full landings etc (pattern work)! I've never flown a low wing except for at altitude.

2. Should the owner (sitting left) have been a CFI to let me do this? He flew 747s in the past so one can assume he had a CFI long ago.
Whether he had ever had one or not, from an FAA perspective, there is nothing in the regs saying he can't do this.

Is it his own plane to do with it what he wants?
From a regulatory perspective, yes. From a safety perspective, it's a matter of how capable he feels of being able to monitor your performance, determine if/when intervention is necessary, and intervene safely, and there's no way of determining that based on your post. However, if he's a former 747 captain, he's probably had lots of experience judging the performance of the pilot in the right seat (and likely intervened a time or two, too :wink2:).

3. Is the answer to number two based on ratings, certs, insurance, or other?
Other -- whether he feels safe doing it.

4. He told me to log the time but I am not "trained" for right seat. It feels OK this time to log because I truly did fly 100% and there is no "right seat license".
You are correct. The regulation says "sole manipulator of the controls," not "occupier of the left seat."

Last edited:
get a Pilot friXion Point erasable pen...they are unbeatable on logbooks.
back in my student pilot days I had the same PIC time issue and my logbook looked like poop at my checkride with all the white out in it.

If you considering ever working as professional pilot, be sure to keep track of your PIC time as defined by FAR 1 separately from any part 61 'PIC' time that would not qualify under FAR 1.

FAR 1 (definitions) defines 'Pilot in Command' as:

Pilot in command means the person who:

(1) Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;

(2) Has been designated as pilot in command before or during the flight; and

(3) Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight.

Note that (1), (2), and (3) form a logical 'and' statement, not an 'or' statement.

While the FAA will accept 'sole manipulator' and 'safety pilot' (unless you are FAR 1 PIC, as Ron describes above) as PIC time for the purpose of FAA rating, very few private sector aviation companies consider these 61.5 flights as 'real' PIC time if the logging pilot was other than the 'real' PIC.

Many airlines consider it border line fraud to claim 61.5 PIC time as PIC if the logging pilot was not PIC as defined by FAR 1. And in the minds of many hiring authorities, only one FAR 1 PIC at a time in any airplane.

In other words, if you ever might apply for a job as professional pilot, track the time that you signed for the airplane separately from the other flavors of 61.5 PIC.

Last edited:
get a Pilot friXion Point erasable pen...they are unbeatable on logbooks.
back in my student pilot days I had the same PIC time issue and my logbook looked like poop at my checkride with all the white out in it.

Mine was perfect pre-checkride since I had basically only one instructor and never flew outside of lessons. Now it looks like poop. I don't use white out but I did have to cross out some words and that was bad.

I was taught to log in pen but total at the bottom in pencil, which has saved me numerous times.

I was behind in my logging since I never bring the log book with me (per several people's suggestions). Then my new CFI said I should start using an electronic logbook, since I always have my iPad with me.

I probably should, especially if it backs up online! Not sure if any are free, though. Right now I take photo copies (behind on that too) and then save as a PDF. Lucky for me the school I use has good records too.

Just to extend my remarks above, some flight schools allow the following three pilots to all log PIC time at the same time:

1) Left seat pilot under the hood manipulating the controls.
2) Right seat pilot acting as FAR 1 PIC and safety pilot.
3) CFI in the back seat performing instruction.

If applying for a private sector flying job, pilots 1 and 3 should NOT claim PIC time.

If applying for a private sector flying job, pilots 1 and 3 should NOT claim PIC time.

Uhh, should not claim PIC on an application. There are other reasons to log it such in normal circumstances. Maybe keep them in separate columns, or annotate which is Acting PIC, or whatever. But to not log it at all is silly IMO.

That is what I thought, but my original CFI told me I was not to log anything as PIC until I passed my check ride...

-Dan

Rule #1: Ask your CFI to show you where it says that in the regulations. This rule applies in many, many situations because instructors are not perfect.

Bob Gardner

Rule #1: Ask your CFI to show you where it says that in the regulations. This rule applies in many, many situations because instructors are not perfect.

Bob Gardner

That isn't going to happen...

I wound up getting fired by my first instructor. I was having trouble with my cross wind landings, and just wasn't getting it the way he was showing me, so I had another CFI (friend of a friend) that has a ton fo time in a Cardinal (what I fly) and he helped me get it sorted out. When I mentioned this to my initial instructor at our next lesson, he went off the deep end and refused to fly with me anymore...

BTW, at this point I only needed .5 hours of simulated IFR time, and the sign off to take my check ride.

-Dan

I wound up getting fired by my first instructor. I was having trouble with my cross wind landings, and just wasn't getting it the way he was showing me, so I had another CFI (friend of a friend) that has a ton fo time in a Cardinal (what I fly) and he helped me get it sorted out. When I mentioned this to my initial instructor at our next lesson, he went off the deep end and refused to fly with me anymore...
Only trainees I ever refused to continue training were the ones who refused to abide by the rules (like the Student Pilot who sneaked a passenger along for an unauthorized XC flight).
BTW, at this point I only needed .5 hours of simulated IFR time, and the sign off to take my check ride.
How about going back to that friend of a friend? And if you can't find anyone else, and are willing to pay the cost, I'd be happy to go down there and finish you myself, because you sound like a good student -- willing to ask questions but not to accept bad answers.

How about going back to that friend of a friend? And if you can't find anyone else, and are willing to pay the cost, I'd be happy to go down there and finish you myself, because you sound like a good student -- willing to ask questions but not to accept bad answers.

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the offer, but I did go back to the friend of a friend. He turned out to be a great instructor, and we did a number of long days to get me finished up.

He wanted to fly with me a bit more than the 30 minutes I needed (understandable) so we wound up doing quite a bit of hood time so I could count it towards my instrument rating, plus I think it helped my comfort level quite a bit.

I passed my check ride back on June 30th, and I have been flying quite a bit since then. I'm at just over 180 hours, and I'm hoping to get my ground IFR test out of the way sometime in the next month or so.

I really hated the way things ended with my first instructor. He was extremely ornary, but I felt like I learned a lot from him, it was just the cross wind landings I couldn't get, and I feel like that was probably as much (or more) me as anything else. Sometimes you just need a different perspective on something. I never dreamed he would react the way he did when I told him I had someone else help me out with my landings, I honestly thought he would be pleased that I finally had it figured out...

-Dan

I know this may seem obvious, but in order to log PIC, you also must have a current medical. I had one guy who got a bit cross wise with the FAA because he logged PIC time when he didn't have a current medical. He thought this was okay because he had a "safety pilot" who was rated and current.

I know this may seem obvious, but in order to log PIC, you also must have a current medical.

That is definitely not true. No medical required to log PIC as long as there is a legal PIC onboard. Yes you need a medical to be the acting PIC, but not to log PIC as sole manipulator.

I had one guy who got a bit cross wise with the FAA because he logged PIC time when he didn't have a current medical. He thought this was okay because he had a "safety pilot" who was rated and current.

There has to be more to the story than that. Because, at face value, as presented, the FAA inspector in that case was wrong.

Regarding what Greg said, there is nothing in 61.51 about having a current medical in order to log PIC time. Nothing. The only reg in Part 61 which talks about a requirement to have a medical certificate is 61.23, which has nothing to do with, and says nothing about, logging time.

Yes, the first statement in my post was not correct. And I should not have made it. I wasn't really paying attention when I said that in those terms. Sorry. But when you log the time as PIC, and your medical isn't current, and the FAA starts asking questions, the question then becomes, who was the PIC? It starts a downward spiral. That is the situation that was I thinking about.

Last edited:
Yes, the first statement in my post was not correct. And I should not have made it. I wasn't really paying attention when I said that in those terms. Sorry. But when you log the time as PIC, and your medical isn't current, and the FAA starts asking questions, the question then becomes, who was the PIC? It starts a downward spiral. That is the situation that was I thinking about.
There is no downward spiral if you have the right answer, which is why it would be prudent, although not required, to put the name of the "real" PIC in the remarks.

What you say is true. But be prepared for the FAA inspector to start asking who was acting PIC if you log PIC with an expired medical. If you didn't write their name down, and you can't remember for sure who was flying with you for each flight, you may have problems. And expect that the inspector will go ask those pilots whom you name. Those pilots may not like it very much if the FAA starts asking them questions about their currency, too. It may not be worth it.

Last edited:
That isn't going to happen...

-Dan

This sounds EXACTLY like what my instructor did when I cheated on him. He pretty much told me he would fire me. So I never cheated again and stayed with him.

What you say is true. But be prepared for the FAA inspector to start asking who was acting PIC if you log PIC with an expired medical. If you didn't write their name down, and you can't remember for sure who was flying with you for each flight, you may have problems. And expect that the inspector will go ask those pilots whom you name. Those pilots may not like it very much if the FAA starts asking them questions about their currency, too. It may not be worth it.
Do you have any examples of that happening? I have never seen an FAA enforcement action resulting from a pilot being unable to remember the name of the person acting as PIC while the subject pilot was flying without a medical. Flying without a qualified person there, yes, that's been the subject of actions, but not just being unable to remember the person's name. And unlike the requirement in 61.51 to log the name of your safety pilot for simulated instrument time, there is no regulatory requirement to log the name of the person acting as PIC.

Back