PIC for FR

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
This came up on an email group.

Can I be PIC as a PP flying under LSA rules (I do not think he has a current medical). With a CFI in a C150?

I know from earlier discussions that I think you can be PIC without a medical as long as there is a qualified Pilot at the other controls. something about safety pilot discussion I think it was.

Also isn't a CFI always PIC while in a plane doing a FR?

Dan

This came up on an email group.

Can I be PIC as a PP flying under LSA rules (I do not think he has a current medical). With a CFI in a C150?

I know from earlier discussions that I think you can be PIC without a medical as long as there is a qualified Pilot at the other controls. something about safety pilot discussion I think it was.

Dan

Act as PIC or log PIC - two different things.

Act - no. Log - I think so.

Good question. My gut feeling here is No you cannot be the PIC of a 150 under LSA rules. SOMEone has to be the legal PIC. If the CFI does not have a medical, he cannot be so you would have to be. If you had a medical and were otherwise qualified, you COULD be PIC under normal PP rules.

I know from earlier discussions that I think you can be PIC without a medical

Well, no. You can LOG PIC but you cannot BE PIC unless you are fully qualified to fly the airplane.
as long as there is a qualified Pilot at the other controls.

That person would have to be the legal PIC.

something about safety pilot discussion I think it was.

That only comes into play if someone was operating under Simulated Instrument Conditions.

No. A CFI can always LOG PIC when acting as a CFI, but he may not necessarily be able to be (act) PIC.

Ed, wanna tackle a flow chart for LSA PIC??? LOL

Last edited:
You could ACT as PIC and I think take a flight review in an LSA. You cannot ACT as PIC in any aircraft other than an LSA without a current medical. A C150 isn't an LSA.

You can LOG PIC anytime you're the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft in which you are rated.

Since a C-150 does not qualify as a LSA, the PIC in a C-150 with more than one person aboard must have at least Private Pilot privileges (assuming you're not one of the 250 or so Rec Pilots out there), and that means the PIC must hold a valid Third Class or better medical certificate -- whether or not the other person is a CFI.
I know from earlier discussions that I think you can be PIC without a medical as long as there is a qualified Pilot at the other controls.
No, you can't. You may be able to log PIC time under the "sole manipulator" clause, but without a medical, you can't act as the PIC of a C-150. The PIC of a non-LS Airplane must have a current, valid medical.

That said, there's no reason you can't get a flight review from a CFI who doesn't have a medical certificate as long as you have a PP and a current medical, and are still PIC-qualified (i.e., your last flight review hasn't run out). Likewise, if the CFI is fully PIC-qualified (medical and all), s/he can still give you a flight review even if you don't have a current, valid medical.

No. There is no rule saying that the CFI is automatically PIC unless the trainee isn't PIC-qualified (Student Pilot, no medical, no flight review, etc). While the FAA will generally hold a CFI accountable for anything bad that happens during a training flight, assuming both instructor and trainee are PIC-qualified, the decision as to which of the two has "final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight" is one for the two pilots involved to make before getting in the plane.

Last edited:
Very well stated I will forward the info

It was the pilot that does not have the medical, I think the worry was the CFI (Has medical) does not want to Act as PIC. Hard to figure that one out.

Dan

It was the pilot that does not have the medical, I think the worry was the CFI (Has medical) does not want to Act as PIC. Hard to figure that one out.
Yes, it is. I'd be interested to know why, since it is usually only because the instructor lacks a medical that this would be a concern. Even if the instructor is not acting as PIC, the FAA will still hold the instructor accountable for anything bad that happens, so there is little for the instructor to gain by not being PIC.

Today at a safety seminar I met a sport pilot who is about to get his checkride. He's got maybe a year of useful life left (and I didn't ask why), but clearly loves flying and is outwardly healthy (drove to the seminar).

The fact that he can get up in a light sport airplane and enjoy his life to the fullest is to me a very good outcome of the light sport rule.

The last time I took a BFR I didn't have a valid medical, since my experimental
fits under LSA and I didn't bother renewing the medical. If I have some
compelling reason to fly something other than my plane I'll renew it.

I took the FR in a 150 and advised the CFI he'd have to be PIC since I didn't have a medical. I was reluctant to do it in mine because I have no insurance.

RT

Yes, it is. I'd be interested to know why, since it is usually only because the instructor lacks a medical that this would be a concern. Even if the instructor is not acting as PIC, the FAA will still hold the instructor accountable for anything bad that happens, so there is little for the instructor to gain by not being PIC.

A CFI with no insurance?

Back