PIC Comming to Town

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Maybe Mr Levy?
I broke down after the realization that i will never be able to get passed the IR in havasu looking for CFIs. I signed up with PIC. November 5th - ? Going for the IR and Commercial. I am just about ready to take the written for the IR, Comm will be in the next few weeks.

Notes so far: Martha King makes me want to shoot myself. Or maybe go in a tower somewhere and shoot others. (Dr. Bruce, Im kiddin). However I actually get giddy when John King appears in the video. Its like the prize in a crackerjack box. Thank god its John!. Whyd ya do it john, there had to be other chicks out there willing to marry a bland guy with a Jet. Sheesh.

Now my thoughts settle on the facts. Can I actually do it? When i fly approaches, lets just say its a good thing its practice and there is someone else in the cockpit. Can PIC actually teach anyone? In 10 days no less?
I sure hope so. I am gambling 8k on the two ratings. I guess I am just having the same fears i had during my primary training. but i made it through that alive.

I took the PPL Written at HND. .5 hours 97%. I didn't study the answers i knew how to interpret the questions and calculated the correct answers.
With the IR, I am seeing Alot more scenarios for the questions. If you are on this approach with this showing and that showing From, on a back course, where are you in relation to the approach...sheesh...this is gonna take longer than 30 minutes.

April and I are planning on a trip back east again in a few months to scope out properties. We found a great place next to an airport in VT with a creek running through the property. We are ready for a change. And I am ready to give up the glass shop. Maybe CFI next year....watch out ed...
I'm trying to talk Richard into finishing up his CFI at the same time, in Yuma, or was it Tuscon...sometime early next year, that is if i pass my two upcoming check rides.

So anyways. Just wanted to rant on. Been away from POA for a while do to personnel conflicts. but i do read every once in a while.

Wish me luck. I might be teaching your daughters in the future.
lauf.gif

Have fun, Michael, and I hope we get a full write-up after you've recovered! :rofl:

Martha... (sigh). Every time I see her, I have some faint memories from dark portions of my childhood, of Louise McNamara from the PBS educational health programs that I had to watch as a kid ("All About You").

Anybody remember that show?

April and I are planning on a trip back east again in a few months to scope out properties. We found a great place next to an airport in VT with a creek running through the property...

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. Only a pilot could be excited about finding a "great place next to an airport."

All the best to you. I hope you meet and exceed all of your goals.

Good luck,

Rich

Sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. Only a pilot could be excited about finding a "great place next to an airport."

Good luck,

Rich

HAHA ya true. April said she loved the fact that the creek ran through the property and i thought, i love the fact that it is on 3 mile final approach to the main runway. wonder why noone has bought it yet!!.

Michael, Here's what I know about PIC. Andrew Morrison ,FlyersFan31, on this board is a PIC grad for his IR. I have flown with Andrew 3-4 times in the past year since he got his IR. He is an intelligent guy so I'm sure he do well anywhere but the guy is just a real good pilot, proficeint, and well versed in IR procedure. He has flow in some bumpy solid Actual ( without me) In short the guy knows his sh** . If he is a standard example of what PIC produces I'd have no qualms recommending PIC.

Last edited:

Good luck,

Rich

Thats like the house we bought at Stockton, 1/4 mile from airport( downwind leg flies right over the house) 1/2 mile from boat launch, 3 miles from my wifes work and 5 miles from mine. Its in the perfect location!:yes:

Here's what I've gleaned from the few folks I know who've gone the firehose drinking route.

1> Clear your schedule. You cannot successfully complete this program if you try to work in a few hours for your job, attend a couple of the kid's soccer games, etc.

2> Plan to suffer some plateaus and/or setbacks during the program. Although it might feel like you've bitten off more than any sane person might attempt to chew, you can also expect to blow through the walls soon enough. So when it feels like you've lost all ability to hold an altitude or heading, take a few deep breaths, relax a little, and try whatever was stumping you again (or work on something else for a while).

3> After you pass the checkride, you will need to put your newly formed skills to work right away and with a fairly regular schedule. The biggest downside of the cram course method is that retention can be very poor. One way of looking at this is that without subsequent practice your skill memories will fade 10-30% over each period of time equal to what it took you to learn them. IOW 10 days after the 10 day course you will have lost around 20% of what you worked so hard to master. 10 more days and you lose another 20%. After a month you could be down almost 50%. Several experts on memory suggest that you need to practice something successfully at least 7-10 times for it to "stick" and chances are by the time you pass the checkride you will have been unable to meet this requirement on a large portion of the skill set. To satisfy this requirement you can either take at least one practice flight or flight in actual IMC each week for the next month.

Maybe Mr Levy?
You're not on my schedule at this time, and I have another client scheduled Nov 12-19 in the DC area. While PIC normally takes by-name requests, you're on the other side of the country from me, and that adds some costs to the program. Usually they find someone reasonably close to you, as PIC has instructors stationed all over the country, but if you feel strongly about it, call PIC and ask.

Notes so far: Martha King makes me want to shoot myself. Or maybe go in a tower somewhere and shoot others.
You are not the first person to feel that way. There are other options, including Jeppesen's Flite School interactive computer based training program.

Now my thoughts settle on the facts. Can I actually do it? When i fly approaches, lets just say its a good thing its practice and there is someone else in the cockpit. Can PIC actually teach anyone? In 10 days no less?
We do it regularly. Just be prepared to sever yourself from the rest of your life (job, family, etc), work hard all day, and study hard every evening.

The real keys beyond that dedication to the task are that you study and learn the ground training material before the PIC date, and that you are solid in your knowledge and control of your airplane. When I have to take the controls away from the client on the first flight to keep us from landing in the grass rather than on the runway in a 7-10 knot crosswind (which has happened twice in the last year), I know we're not going to finish in 10 days.

If you want to work on anything between now and then, just work on being comfortable and proficient in your airplane, and able to put it where you want it (attitude, altitude, airspeed, and heading) in visual conditions (your PIC instructor can easily teach you how to do that by instruments if you can already do it visually). Exercises like precision landings (touching down on a preselected runway centerline stripe with the stripe between the main wheels -- yes, that's a lot stricter than the PPL PTS) and steep turns with the airplane stable all the way around (not chasing after the desired bank angle and altitude, barely staying within PPL PTS tolerances) can help sharpen your basic flying skills.

Michael,

Good luck with your training! I personally like Martha and the crew; well, except for some of Machado's jokes. I used them along with several books from Jepp and others, and got great scores on the writtens and survived the practicals. The IR is a little like sex, the more you practice the better you get.

I sure hope so. I am gambling 8k on the two ratings. I guess I am just having the same fears i had during my primary training. but i made it through that alive.
You are falling into the trap where the student tries to guess at the proficiency of the CFI. Stop it, they know more about that than you do.

OTOH: Mr Levy makes an interesting comment when he says you land precisely at a pre-selected point, ie, the rwy CL between the mains. Think you can do it? Now THAT'S something to worry about.:eek:

I just stopped by to say good luck. We're all counting on you.:fcross: :yes: :D :cheerswine: :blueplane: :dunno: :blowingkisses: :) :p :p :p

Back