Photoshop help, someone?

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

I have an image, we'll call it DSC01830.jpg. In Photoshop, it opens an old copy of this file. In Windows Picture viewer, it opens the new version of the file.

Does Photoshop cache images or something? How the hell do I fix it?

This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

I have an image, we'll call it DSC01830.jpg. In Photoshop, it opens an old copy of this file. In Windows Picture viewer, it opens the new version of the file.

Does Photoshop cache images or something? How the hell do I fix it?
Check the extensions. Your new version may have been saved with the same name but with the photoshop file extension (psd).

Why don't you just delete the old version off your system?

The problem is that I need to apply a batch process to about 1000 images. Even changing the path or filename of the file doesn't help.

Some were turned sideways, some were upright. Someone else turned them all upright, but Photoshop doesn't see that. When photoshop opens it, it opens the old version, sideways, resizes the file, and saves it, sideways, therefore leaving me with the same problem of having a bunch sideways and a bunch upright.

edit: So what I'm saying, is deleting the old version deletes the new version, because the file is one and the same.

It was bizarre. I actually moved to a different system, installed Photoshop, and the same file was turned sideways in Photoshop still, but not in any other program.

I gave in and went through each one of them (hundreds) and rotated them in Photoshop. How weird.

If you had to do the same rotation to a bunch of jpegs..It'd be easy to do with just a few lines of PHP.

This would rotate everything in the ./test directory 180 degrees:
Code:
<?php
$pathToImages = './test';
$handle = opendir($pathToImages);
while(false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
   if(strpos($file, '.jpg') !== FALSE || strpos($file, '.jpeg') !== FALSE) {
      imagejpeg(imagerotate(imagecreatefromjpeg($pathToImages.'/'.$file), 180, 0), $pathToImages.'/'.$file);
   }
}
?>
I'm sure you could batch with Photoshop somehow...I just prefer to live in PHP :)

It's way overkill for rotating images...but ImageJ (free from the NIH) has macro capabilities. I worked with a much earlier version that wasn't near as capable (NIH Image). ImageJ is a complete rewrite and update. It's made for very different needs than Photoshop.

If you had to do the same rotation to a bunch of jpegs..It'd be easy to do with just a few lines of PHP.

This would rotate everything in the ./test directory 180 degrees:
Code:
<?php
$pathToImages = './test';
$handle = opendir($pathToImages);
while(false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
   if(strpos($file, '.jpg') !== FALSE || strpos($file, '.jpeg') !== FALSE) {
      imagejpeg(imagerotate(imagecreatefromjpeg($pathToImages.'/'.$file), 180, 0), $pathToImages.'/'.$file);
   }
}
?>
I'm sure you could batch with Photoshop somehow...I just prefer to live in PHP :)
The problem with batching in either photoshop or PHP was that it was some photos, but not all of them in the folder. There is literally no way to tell which ones needed flipping.

And some needed 90 CW, some needed 90 CCW. BLEGH.

Cameras with orientation sensors (i.e. "was the camera held horizontally or vertically when the shot was taken?") will mark an image file's "EXIF" data with that orientation information, and compliant image viewers will check that data and orient the image for you properly on the screen, so that horizontal shots look horizontal, and vertical shots look vertical.

I've certainly had cases where two different image viewers gave the same image to me in different orientations, and I've assumed that this is due to varying levels of support for pulling that orientation tag out of the image file.
-harry

Back