Photos of Damage at KNEW- Devastating

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
I have been trying to keep track of KNEW (New Orleans Lakefront Airport) and when it might reopen; I came across these pictures from yesterday's Times-Picayune website (nola.com). Stunning. Depressing.

According to the recording on Million Air's phone, the airport is open for day VFR only, and Million Air are staffing days only. Presumably, in temporary quarters of some sort.

Atlantic Aviation has a "new number" recording, and the new number is Atlantic at MSY. Aviaport (my favorite for friendly service) simply has a "leave a message" recording.

Look at these pics. Not too cool.

I was down in that area last weekend and devastating is an understatement. The area left me speechless and pictureless. I had a lot of camera gear but I could not bring myself to take a single picture of the hard hit areas (normally I take a few hundred pics on a trip like this).

I hope the areas recover soon...

Dayumm.

The power of water and wind.

It's heartbreaking. Just showed videos to the flying club of flying in there last July. We'll all have to meet there sometime in the future to commemorate KNEW coming back!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
It's heartbreaking. Just showed videos to the flying club of flying in there last July. We'll all have to meet there sometime in the future to commemorate KNEW coming back!!

Dave

Consider the motion seconded, Dave.

It may not be entirely rational, but I have a very strong affinity for New Orleans, and I feel a sort of obligation to go there and spend money as soon as I reasonably can. Silly? You betcha. But I'll stand by it.

Wow! Shocking photos. I still don't understand though why the owners of the pictured aircraft did not relocate their aircraft prior to the storm. Perhaps they were already derelict aircraft or not airworthy at the time. sigh

Re: avoidable damage to movable assets?

AdamZ said:
Wow! Shocking photos. I still don't understand though why the owners of the pictured aircraft did not relocate their aircraft prior to the storm. Perhaps they were already derelict aircraft or not airworthy at the time. sigh

Or they were busy doing other things. Poor planning?
I have often wondered why the insurance companies did not see the benefit of calling owners whose assets were at risk to see if they would be able to move them or needed help finding pilots to move them... seeing how they rely on figures so much to drive their decisions, they could easily pencil in millions of $ saved if they could move these airplanes out now.
If I owned one in Fla, I would be heading west right now.
Maybe they figure its easier and less liability if they just raise rates after every storm. :dunno:

Re: avoidable damage to movable assets?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have often wondered why the insurance companies did not see the benefit of calling owners whose assets were at risk to see if they would be able to move them or needed help finding pilots to move them... seeing how they rely on figures so much to drive their decisions, they could easily pencil in millions of $ saved if they could move these airplanes out now.
If I owned one in Fla, I would be heading west right now.
Maybe they figure its easier and less liability if they just raise rates after every storm. :dunno:

Don't know about other insurance companies, but according to my aircraft insurance policy USAIG will reimburse to me the expense of moving my aircraft out of a forecast natural disaster area.

I could never second guess anyone, having never lived through a natural disaster (well there was that childhood, with my sisters and all) but I think I could answer all those questions and I do have a plan that covers most of it. I think it must be especially hard for those with many children or elderly parents, other family members to take care of everyone. We are pretty safe from floods and hurricanes at 5000' but anyone can take a tornado or earthquake with zero warning. In essence, you do have to prioritize and all belongings, including a/c are not going to be that important. Given excess warning though (days), I'd think there would be time to reposition some assets.

Back