Photos: Grand Canyon etc

Handsfield

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunter Handsfield
I got some pretty good photos on my recent trip from Seattle to Atlanta 10 days ago. The weather was bad over the northern Rockies, so I took a roundabout route, south into central CA, then east over Las Vegas and Arizona. It took a few hours more, but the route took me straight over the Grand Canyon. Some photos are attached.

The one of my MFD is just bragging about groundspeed, as I caught a slight tailwind over the Sierra (approaching Mammoth Lakes, KMMH). Not bad for a 182.

Regards-- Hunter

Hunter, Next time stop in Havasu and say "Hi" :)
Isn't that flight over AZ wonderful?

Handsfield said:
I got some pretty good photos on my recent trip from Seattle to Atlanta 10 days ago.
Regards-- Hunter
Ah, Meteor Crater....

Michael said:
Hunter, Next time stop in Havasu and say "Hi" :)
Isn't that flight over AZ wonderful?

Michael, I have been wondering whether the craggy, outcropping group of mountains (last photo) is a recognized landmark. I've been over the canyon and meteor crater before, but I was struck by the unique appearance of that land feature. Hard to tell scale from the photo, but it's large; I forget my altitude, but I think I was at 13K, probably 7-8,000' AGL. Does it have a name?

Thanks-- Hunter

Handsfield said:
Michael, I have been wondering whether the craggy, outcropping group of mountains (last photo) is a recognized landmark. I've been over the canyon and meteor crater before, but I was struck by the unique appearance of that land feature. Hard to tell scale from the photo, but it's large; I forget my altitude, but I think I was at 13K, probably 7-8,000' AGL. Does it have a name?

Thanks-- Hunter

Looks like the mountains near the petrified forest, just west of the New Mexico border. I have practically the same photo :)

Now you're making me homesick. I grew up in the national park there and saw the Canyon from the air in many types of aircraft and never got tired of it. Great pictures and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Back