Photos: A century of helicopters

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
CNET News has a nice photo gallery on "A century of helicopters" up. I think they missed a couple of important ones, like the Bell 47, but it's still 20 nice shots of various helicopters developed over the years.

Nice link! What's interesting is that the Bell 47 wasn't there, and that was a pretty important helicopter in the evolution.

When they were overhauling Stone Mountain prior to the 1996 Olympics, they were tearing down the facilities on top of the mountain, including the restrooms. So, they brought in a twelve unit porta-potty. It was trucked in to a lower parking lot but when it came time to take it to the top of the mountain, they brought in a Sikorsky Skycrane.

That things was like looking at a skinny Hulk Hogan. Sitting at idle and then hovering over the load seemed like nothing grand. Then, it hooked up and started lifting the load. Guaranteed, after that helo was done the parking lot was at its cleanest ever since the asphalt had been laid years before.

I know that because most of the dust was in my truck cab. :)

When they were overhauling Stone Mountain prior to the 1996 Olympics, they were tearing down the facilities on top of the mountain, including the restrooms. So, they brought in a twelve unit porta-potty. It was trucked in to a lower parking lot but when it came time to take it to the top of the mountain, they brought in a Sikorsky Skycrane.

That things was like looking at a skinny Hulk Hogan. Sitting at idle and then hovering over the load seemed like nothing grand. Then, it hooked up and started lifting the load. Guaranteed, after that helo was done the parking lot was at its cleanest ever since the asphalt had been laid years before.

I know that because most of the dust was in my truck cab. :)

I saw Skycranes fairly often when I served in RVN. I seem to recall that one of the design specs was that it had to be able to transport a 155 Howitzer.

I hate to be picky about this but didn't the first helicopter fly in the late 40's early 50's? How can it be a century?

Joe

OK I actually looked at the link. Hmmmm

Last edited:
An autogyro is not a helicopter. completely different flight characteristics.

Lots of important helos missing. Bell Jet Ranger, UH-1B, Huey Cobra, '47.

I hate to be picky about this but didn't the first helicopter fly in the late 40's early 50's? How can it be a century?

Joe

OK I actually looked at the link. Hmmmm

Actually, maybe the 30s. Some credit the Focke-Wulf Fa-61 as the first...

The US Navy used helicopters in WWII for naval rescues.

The 47 and 206 didn't make it but the RotorWay and AirScooter did? eesh.

The 47 and 206 didn't make it but the RotorWay and AirScooter did? eesh.

Actually, maybe the 30s. Some credit the Focke-Wulf Fa-61 as the first...

The US Navy used helicopters in WWII for naval rescues.

I should know better than to rely on my memory.

According to Jepeesen's Aviation History (good Christmas present by the way):

The helicopter was a European invention of the 1930's. There was no one single inventor as various individuals and groups simultaneously developed the technology. Various European prototypes flew in the 1930's, notably the Brequet Gyroplane that stayed int he air for more than one hour in 1936 and the Focke-Achegelis Fa 61 dual-rotor helicopter that flew in 1936 -- for 28 seconds!

Thanks Bob, once again I learn something valuable from you.

Joe

Back