Photo storage softwear/progrms?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
So I have two Kodak digital cameras and older DX4330 and a newer C713. I have the Kodak Easy share softwear AHHHHHHHHHHHH:mad3:

I went to burn a disc of photos off my computer and got a message that the Softwear had stopped working and to download the newest version. so I did but then nothing worked. After about 2 days and several HOURS yes HOURs on line with Tech support I finally got the New Easyshare softwear installed. but my old photo albums aren't in it. They are elsewhere in the computer.

I am not a techie but this has to be the worst written softwear I've seen. My friend told me to just ditch the EasyShare soft wear and get some free photo soft wear such as Picassa or shutterfly.

So my question is whats the best one to use there are quite a few: Picassa, Shutterfly, snapfish, shutterbug and I'm sure more. I want something that I can store all my photos on organize them do a bit of editing but nothing outrageous, burn discs from them and something that is easy to get the photos of the camera? Your suggestions

I'm a big fan of Picasa. It can do what you mentioned, and much more, but it's not complicated photo software (like Photoshop or the like).

I'm using Jalbum for web purposes and uploading to my own server. I maintain the originals on the hard drive of the local computer.

I'll give another vote to Picasa. They don't have enough online storage (for me), but I think for the average user it is more than sufficient (1GB/per user name, unless you pay for more). The software is really easy to use after a few minutes of poking around, and it really helps to keep the photos on your hard drive organized. I've been a fan for a while now.

Picasa- I've been using it for several years, and it keeps getting better, too. Very useful.

It really depends on what you want to do with your images.

Personally, I use Macromedia Fireworks 8 because it's tailored for Web designers and does everything I need it to do. So even when I'm doing editing for other than Web purposes, I use Fireworks because it's what I know best. (I'm too cheap to upgrade to the latest version by Adobe.)

If you want something really easy, Microsoft Photo Editor (it comes with Office), isn't that horrible for simple editing, but its default settings over-compress the images in my opinion. I've used Picasa a few times, but not enough to really have an opinion on it. I also use the GIMP from time to time. It's way powerful, but the learning curve is kinda steep.

Having said that, I have never had a problem with Kodak Easy Share. I don't use it very often, but it does have something like 6 GB of photos and videos in there, and has never complained a bit. My goddaughter has started using it quite a bit lately, as well, and she hasn't had any problems with it.

-Rich

iPhoto. :D :D :D ;)

I do have Picasa, but I only downloaded it to be able to grab a bunch of full-res files off Picasa (the service) which they apparently don't let you do any other way.

My big beef with Picasa: It was CONSTANTLY bugging me to update it after the first update came out! I expect software to alert me to an update when either 1) I launch the software, or 2) I run a software update program. But no, every day I was getting these alerts from "GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent" (which didn't like to be quit either), and since I wasn't really planning on using Picasa much I didn't care to update it! So, it's gone now. :mad:

iPhoto. My wife was computer phobic just a year or so ago. With iPhoto, she manages all her pics easily. She's a scrapbooker, so she's got a few pics.

I use Picassa as well. I like the fact that it found all the pictures that I had on my computer since I hadn't organized particularly well :redface: We have lots of game cameras on our TX ranch and I probably have somewhere around 10,000 pictures on my computer. It helped me find them all and organize them. If anyone ever wants to see deer or hog pictures, I have plenty :D.

I'll add another vote for Picasa. I have several other photo viewing/cataloging software packages and it's hands down the easiest to use with lots of handy features. It'll do some simple editing and tuning and it will let you organize your pictures. One thing to remember, Picasa doesn't "store" your pictures. It'll catalog them across many folders and drives, but it doesn't actually store them. I have a hard time getting some of my family to understand the difference.

My Sony A900 DSLR came with some very good software, as did the A100 before that. However, the A900 -- which I think is the first one that was delivered to Maine when Sony started shipping -- has a much updated program. It offers a lot of editing capability, but lacks certain attributes of Picasa which I also use.

Storage? Well, images which are on my Web site(maintained in California) are stored by the CA site. Those images, however, are backed-up on my Western Digital external hard drive, along with countless other volumes of images which are not published on my Web site. So my main storage facility is the Western Digital.

HR

Back