Photo share....

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
I don't usually drag out the telescope during periods of full moon (i'm interested more in deep sky objects), but my son wanted to so he took it out and set up in the driveway. It's a 10" dobsonian mounted telescope and it renders pretty awesome views.

I took this photo just a few minutes ago with nothing but a Sony Cybershot set on auto, and holding to the eyepiece.

Attachments

• DSC00542.jpg
    DSC00542.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 87
The moon was looking pretty cool across the ramp and runway this evening. It would have made a great picture if I'd had a decent camera. And... all the cop cars waiting for Clinton were not sitting on the ramp.

That is a kickass shot.
Thanks Elizabeth! Coming from you, that's a great compliment! I was quite frankly amazed at how well it turned out. Like I said, all I did was steady my camera at the eyepiece and click. It was in fact the first time I've taken a shot through a telescope. All of my previous astrophotography has been wide field photographs using a tangent arm platform of my own construction for comets and such.

Great Shot! I tried a couple of times on manual with my D40 but was surprised at how washed out the pictures turn out... SO much light reflection I guess. Nice Photo!

That would be cool to do with a lunar eclipse.

I hear the moon last night was the closest to earth than it has been in 15 years.

In Texas someone asked a blond, which was closest, the Moon or Florida She answered, DOH!! Can you see Florida from here? :frown2:

I tried a couple of times on manual with my D40 but was surprised at how washed out the pictures turn out... SO much light reflection I guess.

That sounds slightly overexposed. Too long exposure or aperture set too large.

ISO=100, exposure=1/125sec (or 1/100sec), aperture=f/16 should do it.

That is a fantastic photo! Wasn't that moon incredible!! It was like daylight in the cockpit last night, I never turned the dome light on the entire flight!

Here is a shot I took last night. Not as close up as Franks but I like this shot I took.

3105957649_5ca3f0d0b9.jpg

That sounds slightly overexposed. Too long exposure or aperture set too large.

ISO=100, exposure=1/125sec (or 1/100sec), aperture=f/16 should do it.

Thanks Frank! I'll try these settings. No wonder I"m the only member of my flickr group, I don't know what the hell-o I'm doing! lol

Thank You Sir

Last year enroute to San Diego at 11,000' I was fortunate to get this photo. I was over a sparsely-populated area and it almost seemed as if I were closer to the moon than to the earth.

P1030113.jpg

Three nights later, upon return to the home drome, the full moon was just rising from behind Mount Hood:

P1030211.JPG

P1030212.JPG

Back