photo problems with the site.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'll admit, I don't like the way pictures are handled here with that pop over. I'd rather have them open in a new tab, or new window instead of opening over the top of what it is I am reading. On slower conenctions with a 2MB photo, I have to wait for a while for it to load, and when that happens I'll continue to read the posts until it's ready. Can't do that.

On the Droid, I can't open pictures at all. Why are we doing that pop over thing for pictures anyway? The other vb forums I use don't do that.

I've seen other Vb forums that do use photo popups. I'm neutral on the subject.

I am neutral as well. What I usually do is open photos in a new tab. I have that as a hot key command so it is really easy for me to do with a simple click on the photo.

I don't like the new format, either. Seems like the photos are always smaller than I expect them to be and no way to make them bigger.

My principal complaint is that, sometimes, the photo pop-over appears with the spinning daisy thingie, but the picture never arrives.

if you click on the pop over, even before it completely loads, it will open in a new window/tab.

I can see them on my iPhone with the pop-over, and, if I don't want to see that and open it in a new window, I touch and hold on the image rather than tap, and I can select to save or open in new window. Does your Droid do that?

Opening in a new window with the Droid does this:

In a pink background box on a white page it says:

This page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 42: Unsupported encoding windows - 1252

Below is a rendering of the page up the first error.

It then shows nothing.

It only does it with attachments that do the pop-over.

In Hangar Talk under the stickied Hayden thread, the photos posted by Grant do not popover on my desktop box, and they open on the Droid. Dave S's photo does pop over and I get the above error on the Droid.

Last edited:
I can see them on my iPhone with the pop-over, and, if I don't want to see that and open it in a new window, I touch and hold on the image rather than tap, and I can select to save or open in new window. Does your Droid do that?
The Droid doesn't show the picture. If you hold it and tell it to open in a new window, it reports an error on the page and you see nothing. On a desktop, I've also seen what the honourable Spike described, where the picture never actually shows up. Clicking on the space where the picture is supposed to be will usually kick-start it and it opens in a new tab.

The Droid doesn't show the picture. If you hold it and tell it to open in a new window, it reports an error on the page and you see nothing. On a desktop, I've also seen what the honourable Spike described, where the picture never actually shows up. Clicking on the space where the picture is supposed to be will usually kick-start it and it opens in a new tab.

Interesting. Occasionally on my work desktop it will grey over and not show the picture, but a click like you mentioned often works or re-opens the pop-over with the image correctly.

I'm indifferent to the choice. I do like it not opening in the same browser window like some photos on blog pages do, cause then I close the browser completely thinking I am just closing the window. So, pop-over vs new window, doesn't matter to me.

I'll admit, I don't like the way pictures are handled here with that pop over. I'd rather have them open in a new tab, or new window instead of opening over the top of what it is I am reading.

I agree.

I became tired of the pop-up and started doing a right-click/open in New Window. It's quick but requires closing the attachment.

HR

Back