Photo pilot certificates

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Back in 2010-2011, there were news stories about the FAA seeking comments on plans to require photos on certificates.

What became of that?

For a lot of purposes, they want a PPL and government issued photo ID. Driver's license will do.

It was actually a request/demand by the DEA. The FAA did an economic study and everyone dropped the idea. I forget what the ID is for the public comment website but it was rather interesting to read the estimates determined by the FAA. There was also the issue how to get the photos for student pilots. The FAA admitted there could easily be a 2 month period between the photos & getting the cert. For the student pilot waiting to solo, this would have been really stupid.

I'll dig around in my notes to see if I can find the website address.

In 2004 (after the 9/11 investigations) Congress told the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to come up with a pilot’s license that included the pilot’s photo and could contain biometric information like fingerprints or iris scans; critics charge that today, the only pilots pictured on FAA licenses are flight pioneers Wilbur and Orville Wright, and the licenses lack biometric data.
http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/six-years-later-us-pilots-licenses-still-not-secure
They really missed the boat when they required everyone to get the new plastic cards a few years back...

They put them on the back. I'm sporting a pretty dashing mustache in mine..

The hon. Congressman John Dingle D-Mich had to Sit the FDASTFU. He stood before the cameras waving his Michgan DL an declaimed, "if my home state can do this why can't the federal government?"

DEMAGOGUE.

The party behind that initiative was Congressman Mica R-FL, and since he is no longer chair of the cognizant subcommittee, there is no more push for Congress to fund it, and the FAA can't do what Congress doesn't give them the money to do. It's been that way for 10 years, and it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. And nobody in the FAA wants it to happen anyway -- they've already got more tasks for their FSDO workforce than the people there can do, and no money to add more staff.

The response was to require the secondary ID. As far as the TSA is concerned, you in your small plane is no different than the people getting on airliners. They already have an ID system in place for that and they extended it to flight instruction.

Back