Photo of the week?

jkaduk

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
John Kaduk
Is there any interest in, or possibility of, a photo of the week contest? I know they have one at Avweb, but those are selected by the editors. I would be interested in something everyone could vote on. Wouldn't have to be weekly, coud be monthly, occasionally etc.

Antoher possibility - possibly alternative, possibly in parallel - would be a picture of the day feature. Something where on the front page, each day, a different picture would be displayed. Users could submit their own pictures for inclusion, and maybe users could even rate each day's pic.

I'll have to look for a hack for that. :)

Greebo said:
Antoher possibility - possibly alternative, possibly in parallel - would be a picture of the day feature. Something where on the front page, each day, a different picture would be displayed. Users could submit their own pictures for inclusion, and maybe users could even rate each day's pic.

I'll have to look for a hack for that. :)

picture of the day!! I'll get right on that. :rolleyes:

I'd rather see a picture of the day than those random quotes on the home page - those drive me nuts!

Bill

Really? Why so? I thought they were a pretty neat addition. :)

Hmm... can I quote your last post on the daily quote? :)

LOL - sure, go ahead. :) I dunno - I've never liked quotes of the day things like that. Distracting. I'm not lobbying to get 'em removed if everyone else likes them, but there were a personal option to shut them off I would! Now, various pictures of everyone's airplanes - THAT would be interesting!

Bill

my first submission

BillG said:
LOL - sure, go ahead. :) I dunno - I've never liked quotes of the day things like that. Distracting. I'm not lobbying to get 'em removed if everyone else likes them, but there were a personal option to shut them off I would! Now, various pictures of everyone's airplanes - THAT would be interesting!

Bill
Well I'm not having a lot of luck with a "Daily Photo" hack. Some days I just want to write my own software so I am not so reliant upon other people for modifications...

... but anyway - as for pictures of members planes:
Member Hangars- also in the main menu up top :)

Enjoy!

I like the quotes...for what its worth Greebo.

BillG said:

Bill

You can sort of shut them off. Just click on the litte double arrows all the way on the right of the "CTAF" title bar, and they will collapse into just the title bar.

Personally, I don't mind the quotes either way, but I think it would be really attractive for the site to have the first thing visitors see when they come here be a pretty picture taken by one of the board members.

Eric Davis said:
I like the quotes...for what its worth Greebo.

I like both......

Mt Baker

FRH

and with that, we are out of here for the weekend, to finish the hanging the engine on a 170

see ya

I like the quotes... but they are getting stale. I'm seeing the same ones over and over. any chance everyone could put in one of their favorites, so that we might have 200+ and not 50+

When we eventually migrate to a new, larger server, I will be adding vBGallery - an addon which allows for member uploaded media and pictures and will support a random pic being displayed on the front page.

WIth luck, we'll even be able to make a Pic of the Day adjustment for the front page.

vBGallery's feature list is very long and can be seen at http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&p=5 if you want all the details.

I have a submission. Took this from a citation.

Ok, we REALLY need to start shrinking some of these photos...

I think Tom's is a good size right now. Much bigger than that and those on dialup have load issues. It's also very difficult to really get a good view of the photo if it's too big.

Brian - want to toss out a suggested size (pixels or bytes) for guidance on posting pics here?

I'm changing a couple settings now to try and make large pictures more thread-friendly w/o requiring resizing.

If this works we'll start seeing thumbnails in the threads, clickable for the full sized image.

Brian Austin said:
Ok, we REALLY need to start shrinking some of these photos...

I think Tom's is a good size right now. Much bigger than that and those on dialup have load issues. It's also very difficult to really get a good view of the photo if it's too big.
I know it!! Sorry i didn't know it was gonna be that big!!

There - auto-thumbnails are now enabled for attachments. Yay. :)

Greebo said:
There - auto-thumbnails are now enabled for attachments. Yay. :)
The following is a short count test of the 1MC from the bridge... Testing 1, 2, 3, 3, 2, 1 Test out.
Nice! AttaBoy, Chuck!!! :dance:

Cant remember if I posted this picture in another thread or not, but if not..here it is. I took this one while riding along on one of our tours for training.

Quotes AND PIX for me is best. Lots of stuff to choose from. The more the better.

dang you're so low, you are in the whiteout. Pull up, go 'round!
Alaskan winter at noon?

Equal time for the rotary wing pilots. The following was taken during a mountain helicopter training course I took.

Every time I read a post that someone is thinking how to cross the Rockies I think of this picture we took from our C-170-B going to Texas in 98.

It's called hole in the wall, Heber City Ut -D-> Spanish Fork Ut.

Back