Phones...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
ISDN-PRI vs. T1

Difference?

This will be used strictly for voice. As far as I can tell about the only difference is one channel is used for signaling with the ISDN-PRI ..which gives you the potential for 23 lines vs. 24 for the T1.... I must be missing something though....

Quoted $650 per month for ISDN-PRI...Does that sound reasonable?

Phone guys...enlighten me.

Last edited:
Look at the PBX equipment you'll be using to see what interfaces it has and order the line configured to match. The manual will have instructions on ordering the right options. There are a lot of options, especially for T1 lines.

I think the 16K signal channel on the PRI will send the SS7 data that includes the caller ID and such for each line. I suppose one channel of the T1 interface can be set up the same way.

Sorry, not a PBX guy. I do data links.

T1 will also send the data. IIRC there is a signalling channel on T1.

Mike's advice is right: see what the system will support, and see what is available from the CO. If you have a choice of cards, choose based on price: I've found T1 to be cheaper than ISDN in a number of places, and the reverse in other places.

If I were buying new these days, I'd look for IP support on an interface and look for a dedicated high-speed data connection. Most new multi-line phone systems will support IP.

I may be wrong, but I think other features/services are included with a PRI vs traditional T1.

Thanks for your help guys. Looks like I'll be going with a full T1 for voice.

Back