Phone Tree Software

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Hey guys,

Anyone have a good idea for a free (or cheap), preferrably open source package that will do an IVR for a small company? This will be hosted on a Linux server most likely (although I can place it on one of the 2003 servers instead if necessary).

Speech recognition would be nice, but is not a necessity.

Wow, the old school answer used to be some Dialogic cards, but now I think the new school answer would be Asterisk.

-Rich

Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org. Take a look at http://trixbox.org/ for a somewhat pre-packaged solution. I have built out a full PBX using trixbox for a small company (30ish extensions).

Like anything, I'd need more details to say much more.

Asterisk http://www.asterisk.org. Take a look at http://trixbox.org/ for a somewhat pre-packaged solution. I have built out a full PBX using trixbox for a small company (30ish extensions).

Like anything, I'd need more details to say much more.

Details are easy (implementation may be a bit more difficult :D). We need to set up a routing system for about 25 phone users, in 3 different departments and an operator. Basically, there will be 5 different initial phone options, which would route to the phones in one of 3 ways:

Press 1 for xxx department (routes to group A)
Press 2 for yyy department (routes to group B )
Press 3 for zzz department (routes to group A or B, whichever is first available)
Press 4 for xyz department (routes to group C)
Press 0 for operator (routes to operator)

The voice recordings for it will be done in house by a famous figure here locally (can't mention the name), so prerecorded options are not a necessity.

My guess, is that the extensions would need to be skilled in certain splits (or something similar), so that Group A and Group B can take their individual calls, as well as the zzz calls, while Group C will only take xyz calls.

More details:

Only 1 outbound line will be used, while incoming calls will most likely come from 5-10 incoming lines. We're not expecting a huge amount of traffic, so 10 lines may be overkill. In the rare instance that more people call than we can handle, we're tossing around a VHT callback system, or possibly just letting it go busy.

Last edited:
Details are easy (implementation may be a bit more difficult :D). We need to set up a routing system for about 25 phone users, in 3 different departments and an operator. Basically, there will be 5 different initial phone options, which would route to the phones in one of 3 ways:

Press 1 for xxx department (routes to group A)
Press 2 for yyy department (routes to group B )
Press 3 for zzz department (routes to group A or B, whichever is first available)
Press 4 for xyz department (routes to group C)
Press 0 for operator (routes to operator)

The voice recordings for it will be done in house by a famous figure here locally (can't mention the name), so prerecorded options are not a necessity.

My guess, is that the extensions would need to be skilled in certain splits (or something similar), so that Group A and Group B can take their individual calls, as well as the zzz calls, while Group C will only take xyz calls.

What PBX is currently in place? What kind of phones? Analog? Digital? VOIP?

What PBX is currently in place? What kind of phones? Analog? Digital? VOIP?

None. Currently, there are 5 employees, each with their own phone line direct to their desks. That is changing. The logistics of the phone lines and whatnot are subcontracted to a different company. My job is to set up an IVR system to route the calls for them.

I would have taken the entire job, but T-Mobile owns the rights to my ability to set up phone systems in a No-Compete clause. Setting up software solutions falls outside of my No Compete clause.

Nick:

Get Jesse to do it, Trix Box. He knows how, for real, big-time.

Just get Jesse to do it.

/s/

Nick:

Get Jesse to do it, Trix Box. He knows how, for real, big-time.

Just get Jesse to do it.

/s/

LOL, something tells me subcontracting a job that has been subcontracted to me to a person who is located in a totally different state would not be a good way to start off with this company. LOL

Well. It's pretty hard to tell you how to implement the IVR without knowing anyhting about the phones and whats being installed. It'd take a fool to do anything but VOIP these days--and any respectable VOIP system will include a IVR solution designed for it.

Like anything--this has to all talk and play ball. What PBX are they installing? I didn't even know you could find a VOIP PBX these days that didn't have IVR built in.

Or you could do the really lazy thing and suggest a $50 solution to at $5,000 problem.

www.onebox.com

That's what we're using.

Of course, that might not help develop customer loyalty. But you could resale/rebrand it.

Back