Phone interview for Airport Ops position!

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Hey guys - I got a call this morning from Colorado saying that I'm advancing in the interview process and that I have a phone interview next week. The same day I'm driving from OK to CA for my college graduation in San Diego.

The position is for a paid intern in airport operations in CO. I've been unemployed since January after being terminated from my aviation sales job and this could be the big break I've been looking for.

I'm incredibly nervous, and have never had a phone interview before in my life. I've only had one "real" interview (non-fast food) and that was for the aviation sales job. I was already being slipped in by one of the VP's friends. This time, I'm not sure what to do or expect. I really don't want to bomb it and end up getting overlooked for the position.

I also have a slight problem speaking incredibly fast under some situations when I'm nervous - did it to ATC during flight training a couple times where they could barely understand me. I've been trying to speak more clearly and enunciate my words but this is going to be the real test I think. Any advice on all of this would be incredibly appreciated.

(I finished my last college class last week - finished out my degree with a 3.84 CGPA, by the way!)

Speak like you are talking to someone with a slight language barrier, slow and deliberate, do not interrupt the interviewer, and listen closely to them so as to fully understand their questions.

Don't use 1000 words if 100 will do the job.

Can you tell I have had kids????

Be calm and good luck.

Speak like you are talking to someone with a slight language barrier, slow and deliberate, do not interrupt the interviewer, and listen closely to them so as to fully understand their questions.

Be calm and good luck.

So, just pretend the interviewer is from Ohio!

just hush, Overdrive, pay Ed no attention he was dropped on his head as a child.

Last edited:
Normally, I would recommend calling from a landline. If you're going to be on the road at least find a spot with good signal coverage and park while you're on the interview call.

Normally, I would recommend calling from a landline. If you're going to be on the road at least find a spot with good signal coverage and park while you're on the interview call.

Find an airport on the way, stop there, use the landline.

Relax. Don't rush. Think before speaking.

KAPA?

ask them when you should expect your first raise.

:) jk, good luck!

Congrats on second interview. Just take your time. You will be fine.

Shawnee huh....I was a Paramedic for the Shawnee Regional Hospital for 7 years in early 90s. Have a lot of good memories there! Grandma in Seminole and I grew up in Noble. Good area

Hey guys - I got a call this morning from Colorado saying that I'm advancing in the interview process and that I have a phone interview next week. The same day I'm driving from OK to CA for my college graduation in San Diego.

The position is for a paid intern in airport operations in CO. I've been unemployed since January after being terminated from my aviation sales job and this could be the big break I've been looking for.

I'm incredibly nervous, and have never had a phone interview before in my life. I've only had one "real" interview (non-fast food) and that was for the aviation sales job. I was already being slipped in by one of the VP's friends. This time, I'm not sure what to do or expect. I really don't want to bomb it and end up getting overlooked for the position.

I also have a slight problem speaking incredibly fast under some situations when I'm nervous - did it to ATC during flight training a couple times where they could barely understand me. I've been trying to speak more clearly and enunciate my words but this is going to be the real test I think. Any advice on all of this would be incredibly appreciated.

(I finished my last college class last week - finished out my degree with a 3.84 CGPA, by the way!)

It appears that you are from Shawnee. My cousin is the manager of the Shawnee airport. He may be able to give you some pointers. I bet he wouldn't mind if you stopped in to visit. He has a degree in aviation administration and was the ops manager at Morristown airport just outside of NYC. He wanted to move back to God's country and took the gig at Shawnee about a year ago. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you his contact info, or you can just go find him at the airport. Don't know if he's out there on weekends.

When they ask you if you have any questions, say Yes. When do I report for work?

Be calm and good luck.
That sounds like a pretty good tactic - I sort of throw words together and talk faster on the whole when I'm nervous and only a few people can keep up. I've been trying to mentally take it slower to think about each word and pronunciation. I'll give that a try over the weekend, I have some online German friends I play War Thunder with but haven't tried speaking with. Great advice, thank you very much.

So, just pretend the interviewer is from Ohio!
Ooookay then?

Yeah, I'm planning on stopping in OKC or somewhere with great reception a while beforehand. I'm planning on pulling out my resume, cover letter, interview questions, and a few notes I'm going to be writing up here about the most common interview questions by phone ("Tell me about yourself", "Tell me about your biggest strength or weakness", "What are your salary expectations", and "where do you expect to be in five years" are a few google searches yielded). Any opinions on answering those would be great.

Find an airport on the way, stop there, use the landline.

Relax. Don't rush. Think before speaking.

KAPA?
Actually, KASE in Aspen. One of the problems when I get talking really fast is I don't "fly the airplane" - it ends up flying me. I mix words together that I'm considering and sound retarded. I'm working on it though. Whenever I try to speak slower, I feel like I'm doing 15 in a 70mph zone. I guess it'd be better to speak slower so I can fill out the full 30 minutes of interview (with the added benefit of being understood).

Congrats on second interview. Just take your time. You will be fine.

Shawnee huh....I was a Paramedic for the Shawnee Regional Hospital for 7 years in early 90s. Have a lot of good memories there! Grandma in Seminole and I grew up in Noble. Good area
Really? Cool. It's not a bad place, I moved here in Oct 2012 as the first move away from my parents in CA. Since then, I've worked fast food and aviation parts sales. And seen 2 tornadoes in person... Give me earthquakes any day!

It appears that you are from Shawnee. My cousin is the manager of the Shawnee airport. He may be able to give you some pointers. I bet he wouldn't mind if you stopped in to visit. He has a degree in aviation administration and was the ops manager at Morristown airport just outside of NYC. He wanted to move back to God's country and took the gig at Shawnee about a year ago. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you his contact info, or you can just go find him at the airport. Don't know if he's out there on weekends.
Holy crap, aviation really IS a small community. Yes, I'd love to talk to him beforehand and see what he has to offer about airport operations. Ideally, I'd like to be flying for a living (PPL 96 hours), but I'm just out of college and there are always airports to work at in case, you know? I went calling around the airport at the FBO and at a couple other on-airport places but none had anything available. Sure, shoot me a message with his contact info, I'd like to pick his brain!

Do find a question to ask. It looks good.

But I don't suggest presumption.

Good luck.
I've heard mixed messages about asking "when do I start". I'm not an incredibly confident person and it just feels out of place and a bit off to me, but some people I know have used it to get into other jobs so who knows. I'll probably just stick to asking questions I think. Speaking of which, what kind of questions would I ask? If it was something about the job, I feel like it'd make me look like I'm really interested (which I am), but at the same time they may not like it because I don't know the job and the duties involved. Part of it is becoming licensed to drive snowplows and runway brooms and a ton of other stuff though, so maybe I could ask about that?

There's also a Beechcraft Starship on field...not that I've been spying or anything. So gorgeous.

I'm also curious, on the subject of questions to ask - I know rent is expensive there because, well, it's Aspen. I half wanted to ask if there were any possible places for rent for people like me at the job. I'll be making $16/hour full time if I get the job and I wanted to make sure that'd be paying at least a barely livable wage for the area. From what I've heard, everything is more important there due to the location - milk and bread being more expensive, even fast food wages, is why I want to ask. My dad thinks it's a bad idea to ask that because it makes it sound like I'm unprepared for the area and the cost involved. I've also only moved once on my own in my life, so there's that. Thanks for the support guys, any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your graduation and good luck on your interview.

Where did you go to school in SD?

Congratulations on your graduation and good luck on your interview.

Where did you go to school in SD?
Many thanks!

Oh, sorry, I am only graduating in San Diego. I went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide Campus. Basically a combination of Victorville CA campus, Midwest City OK campus, and online/EagleVision classes.

The graduation is taking place on the deck of the USS Midway - how could I miss that?!

Awesome. Again, congratulations.

My father volunteers on the Midway as part of the radio group so I've gone there a few times. What a place for a aviation graduation! Enjoy it :)

Awesome. Again, congratulations.

My father volunteers on the Midway as part of the radio group so I've gone there a few times. What a place for a aviation graduation! Enjoy it :)
Really? Neat! I've been there twice, before and after they put in the F-35 simulator below-decks. I'm a huge military aviation fan and I really like the exhibits there. Supposed to be 240-280 of us graduating, with 5 a piece for guest tickets. I wonder where they're going to fit us all...

Ask a question about opportunity to advance, expand responsibility or expand operation foot prints such as business growth.

Do ask a question or two though, but limit it to a very relevant topic and make it show you have interest in their business.

Ask a question about opportunity to advance, expand responsibility or expand operation foot prints such as business growth.

Do ask a question or two though, but limit it to a very relevant topic and make it show you have interest in their business.
Now that you mention it, they had an opening listed for a full position airport operations person. I was going to apply but there were a few things I didn't have that they were asking for. I could ask them if that would be a possibility after the year-long internship is up. That one was at something like $20+ an hour, which sounds absolutely fantastic.

Can you imagine, a "phone interview"....how freaking lazy are these people getting?
Disgraceful.

Unless the position involves a lot of critical phone work this is just stupid. Sorry if I'm showing my age but this kind of 'modern' crap from lazy HR bums just ticks me off! When was the last time HR ever did anything worthwhile in finding good employees? They spend more time just getting in the way.

More often than not I've just gone around them to either get hired or to hire others.

Last edited:
Umm, that's typically done to save both parties time and expense if the applicant is from out of state.

I would suggest asking what their goals for the airport are and what the development plans are.

Also, you want to get across that you're going to participate in finding solutions to issues, not just telling your boss "hey, we have a problem" then waiting for them to tell you what to do. It's much better if you can say, "I noticed this problem and I think we can solve it by doing x, or we could do y...."

Umm, that's typically done to save both parties time and expense if the applicant is from out of state.

Ummm that's a really lazy, crappy way to treat a candidate. Usually done by people that know absolutely nothing about the position or the technical requirements of the position or much of anything other than typical HR nonsense. Been there done that, won't ever deal with it again nor use it for handling anybody I have any respect for....like a candidate for a position I need filled.

If you want to use crapbook or craplist to advertise and save money then insult those that bite with this ridiculous "new" system. Good luck. You won't get many experienced, competent professionals. They'll tell you what you can do with your cutesy phone interview. You'll get some really desperate applicants - whoopee!

Before being a controller I was an Airport Ops supervisor at a slowish Class B in the north east. I don't know what your level of experience or education is in the field, but if you have any career specific questions feel free to PM me.

I don't come around often, but I'll be sure to check my PM's for the next week just in case.

Oh yeah, in my experience, it was an insanely fun job.

Can you imagine, a "phone interview"....how freaking lazy are these people getting?
Disgraceful.

Unless the position involves a lot of critical phone work this is just stupid. Sorry if I'm showing my age but this kind of 'modern' crap from lazy HR bums just ticks me off! When was the last time HR ever did anything worthwhile in finding good employees? They spend more time just getting in the way.

More often than not I've just gone around them to either get hired or to hire others.

I agree, especially for an internship. And then they complain because they can't get anyone "no one wants to work....everyone is one welfare..." etc.

Ummm that's a really lazy, crappy way to treat a candidate. Usually done by people that know absolutely nothing about the position or the technical requirements of the position or much of anything other than typical HR nonsense. Been there done that, won't ever deal with it again nor use it for handling anybody I have any respect for....like a candidate for a position I need filled.

If you want to use crapbook or craplist to advertise and save money then insult those that bite with this ridiculous "new" system. Good luck. You won't get many experienced, competent professionals. They'll tell you what you can do with your cutesy phone interview. You'll get some really desperate applicants - whoopee!

It's par for the course for any company I've worked for prior to flying the candidate out for the in-person interview.

If they're a complete bust on the phone interview, no use wasting everyone's time.

Ok now make us proud of you and go get the job. We are all pulling for you!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Disgraceful.

I'm not sure how many places do their interviews myself. If it was between me spending a pretty good chunk of change to drive from OK to CO for an interview and then coming back without a guaranteed job and a phone interview, I'd rather do the phone interview. I'd rather have one in person though - easier to show more nonverbal communication like a strong handshake, eye contact, attention to dress and detail...

My thoughts exactly, if not a bit impersonal compared to in-person ones.

I would suggest asking what their goals for the airport are and what the development plans are.

Also, you want to get across that you're going to participate in finding solutions to issues, not just telling your boss "hey, we have a problem" then waiting for them to tell you what to do. It's much better if you can say, "I noticed this problem and I think we can solve it by doing x, or we could do y...."
I'll give that a shot - although I'm not sure what I could provide for solutions being a fresh college graduate with no airport operations experience. I'd like to be able to suggest fixes though! I know that's the kind of thing that employers are looking for - self starters who look for problems to fix instead of waiting to be assigned them. I think I revert to the latter because I have no experience and I don't know if it's a good solution or not. Been trying to convince myself to at least give it a shot and show good will though.

I found their job on Indeed. It was also listed on their main website but I won't complain - I probably wouldn't have found it if they didn't list it on a wide network like that. When I called for a follow-up on my application, I was told that the specific hiring place would know all of the details and all they could reassure me was that my application was in. So I'm assuming the guy who called me was with the airport. Shrug. I hope I'm not exactly desperate, even though I'm not technically experienced (yet!).

Before being a controller I was an Airport Ops supervisor at a slowish Class B in the north east. I don't know what your level of experience or education is in the field, but if you have any career specific questions feel free to PM me.

I don't come around often, but I'll be sure to check my PM's for the next week just in case.

Oh yeah, in my experience, it was an insanely fun job.
I'll shoot you some questions in a PM. Thanks for volunteering! I am graduating with a degree in Professional Aeronautics which covers a broad range of subjects (human factors, security, aviation safety, occupational safety and health, air traffic control, aircraft maintenance, and aeronautical science). I also have a non-current ASEL with 96 hours (expensive college + no time with classes = non currency). I have a rudimentary idea but specifics and insight is something I'm always willing to get! Especially since I learned to fly mostly at nontowered airspace, KASE is Class D, and on the other side of the spectrum is your experience :yes:

It's par for the course for any company I've worked for prior to flying the candidate out for the in-person interview.

If they're a complete bust on the phone interview, no use wasting everyone's time.
I'd like to be flown out, but if it was all on me and I didn't get the job, I'd be pretty sad. Still hoping I meet their expectations!

Ok now make us proud of you and go get the job. We are all pulling for you!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Thank you sir, I'm going to give my very best shot!

Ummm that's a really lazy, crappy way to treat a candidate. Usually done by people that know absolutely nothing about the position or the technical requirements of the position or much of anything other than typical HR nonsense.
My last 3 positions started with phone interviews. In each case, I lived quite far from the company; two of them were positions that would have me being the only employee in the state I lived in and the 3rd would have me relocating when I accepted the position. In each of these cases, the person I interviewed with was highly competent and had either done the position I was applying for or was the immediate hiring manager. Each phone interview was followed up with a trip to interview with them in person (and had they not been happy with the phone interview, that would not have happened).

In my current position (10 years) I've been part of the hiring process for a fair number of peers. Some of them were interviewed over the phone initially, and some were brought directly in. Had we interviewed all of them over the phone first, we would have saved a good amount of money and (less than stellar) candidates would have saved a lot of time.

It's very short sighted to think badly of phone interviews as being _part_ of the hiring process, when the logistics merit it. There's a lot to gain by them, and I can't think of anything to lose by either party.

Many gov jobs are interviewed by phone. It's just not possible to get your most qualified applicants in for a face to face many times.

We interview most of our candidates in person, usually sales people or mechanics. I have just hired a new general sales manager, the two candidates that I shceduled face to face interviews with where both after 1-2 hours of phone conversations. They both lived quite a distance away and I think we all wanted to feel comfortable before any of us wasted any time with an interview. :dunno:
I don't think many people get hired with phone or video interviews, it's just one more step in weeding out candidates and employers.
My daughter interviewed with a major food corporation by "Skype" for her second interview, the first was a series of questions on a website to complete in a specified amount of time. :dunno: She was offered the job, with no face to face meeting at all, she passed, but that's the way the process went. :rolleyes:
Disgraceful.

Be candid about asking about housing. IIRC most low-pay jobbers find roommates/housemates outside of Aspen and carpool in. Take a look are the little towns around the area, try Carbondale. There's always bulletin boards with info on housing. Aspen may have employee housing available for a not-outrageous rent.

And send a thankYou note within hours after the interview.

Last edited:

The job market is extremely competitive right now. When you have hundreds of people apply for a single job, you have to weed them out through various steps. Noway to sit down with all of them.

My wife's job had 400+ people apply for it. She had two phone interviews first before something in person.

I love phone interviews. No way I want to travel half way across the country to find out I don't want the job. From the other side of the table, it's much better to have the initial interview be on the phone to avoid bringing someone to town only to find out they're completly wrong for the position. The reality today is that good candidates can come from anywhere, and people travel more than they used to for work.

All of my phone interviews have been with the "hiring manager". No HR droid in the loop. I call the people I interview, and I'm called by the people who will hire me. Could be that software engineering is unique in this, but I'm willing to bet most professional / technical positions know better than to let HR into the loop. HR usually talks after, when we've identified likely candidates.

While I'm standing on this here soap box...

When I interview, I like to feel the person is engaged, interested. I do not mind at all if you ask questions. Just don't interrupt me while I'm trying to give you the "this is what the job is" part. After that, the interviews I've been part of are a conversation. Two strangers getting to know each other. It's perfectly ok to say you don't know something. "I don't know." is so, so much better than bluffing / lying. I don't expect you to know everything, I do expect you to be interested enough to learn. Be positive. "I never done that." is negative. "I've always wanted to try that." is positive.

Probably the best advice I can offer is: Interview with the attitude that you're interested, but you're not desperate. Pretend you have 5 more interviews lined up, and you'd accept an offer from any of them. don't be dismissive, but don't be so eager to please you sound needy. Think of it as "you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you".

Be candid about asking about housing. IIRC most low-pay jobbers find roommates/housemates outside of Aspen and carpool in. Take a look are the little towns around the area, try Carbondale. There's always bulletin boards with info on housing. Aspen may have employee housing available for a not-outrageous rent.

And send a thankYou note within hours after the interview.
I will try to do that - except since the HR department for Pitkin County isn't the one I'm talking to, should I ask for the interviewer's address or just send it to the airport with the interviewer's first name? I don't have any contact info for them at all except a first name :dunno:

And for the record, a thank you email is NOT a thank you note! :D
I think a sent letter is better and more personal than an email anyway. Just need an address...

Thank you! I'm writing out some answers to these questions now so I'm prepared when they go about asking. Trying to not sound too overconfident when trying to sell my skills and abilities (aka education) is proving to be difficult though...

I love phone interviews. No way I want to travel half way across the country to find out I don't want the job. From the other side of the table, it's much better to have the initial interview be on the phone to avoid bringing someone to town only to find out they're completly wrong for the position. The reality today is that good candidates can come from anywhere, and people travel more than they used to for work.

All of my phone interviews have been with the "hiring manager". No HR droid in the loop. I call the people I interview, and I'm called by the people who will hire me. Could be that software engineering is unique in this, but I'm willing to bet most professional / technical positions know better than to let HR into the loop. HR usually talks after, when we've identified likely candidates.

While I'm standing on this here soap box...

When I interview, I like to feel the person is engaged, interested. I do not mind at all if you ask questions. Just don't interrupt me while I'm trying to give you the "this is what the job is" part. After that, the interviews I've been part of are a conversation. Two strangers getting to know each other. It's perfectly ok to say you don't know something. "I don't know." is so, so much better than bluffing / lying. I don't expect you to know everything, I do expect you to be interested enough to learn. Be positive. "I never done that." is negative. "I've always wanted to try that." is positive.

Probably the best advice I can offer is: Interview with the attitude that you're interested, but you're not desperate. Pretend you have 5 more interviews lined up, and you'd accept an offer from any of them. don't be dismissive, but don't be so eager to please you sound needy. Think of it as "you're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you".
Very nice, thank you very much. I'm not sure if I'm talking to an HR person or an actual airport ops person. He sounded kind of young, a few years older than me (22).

Don't interrupt, ask questions, admit if I don't know something, be positive, and don't be needy. The last one is going to be a bit difficult because I'd really like the job and I really don't have anything else lined up. But I'll act like I do and go from there. I appreciate the advice from the other side of the phone line.

I will try to do that - except since the HR department for Pitkin County isn't the one I'm talking to, should I ask for the interviewer's address or just send it to the airport with the interviewer's first name? I don't have any contact info for them at all except a first name :dunno:
check the airnav website for the list of companies, fbos, etc at aspen. you'll find the addresses. then, if you have the first name and company, call the company and ask for the "exact spelling of xxx's last name"

I think a sent letter is better and more personal than an email anyway. Just need an address...

Thank you! I'm writing out some answers to these questions now so I'm prepared when they go about asking. Trying to not sound too overconfident when trying to sell my skills and abilities (aka education) is proving to be difficult though...

Very nice, thank you very much. I'm not sure if I'm talking to an HR person or an actual airport ops person. He sounded kind of young, a few years older than me (22).

Don't interrupt, ask questions, admit if I don't know something, be positive, and don't be needy. The last one is going to be a bit difficult because I'd really like the job and I really don't have anything else lined up. But I'll act like I do and go from there. I appreciate the advice from the other side of the phone line.

check the airnav website for the list of companies, fbos, etc at aspen. you'll find the addresses. then, if you have the first name and company, call the company and ask for the "exact spelling of xxx's last name"
Thanks, I'll give it a try! The day comes nearer...

The day arrived - talked to 5 people at once over speakerphone. Lasted 20 minutes, had the usual questions asked - what do you hope to gain, why should we pick you, etc. was polite and talked slowly and clearly. Tried to emphasize that I wasn't desperate but was interested in the position.

Just called me back and informed me that I didn't get the job. If it was any consolation, he said I made it to the top 5 applicants. :/

Back