Phone clearance or in air

My home airport is uncontrolled. At home:

If it is VMC for at least 20 miles, I get my clearance in the air.

IMC - I taxi, do my run up and call directly into Chicago Aporoach using my Bluetooth connection from my headset. I let them know I am at the runway ready to go. I generally get released immediately.

The only part of calling them that is odd for me, is remembering that I don't have to push the button to talk over the phone.

Can a controller legally deny to give a filed clearance? I mean, I know they can delay and teach you a lesson in various ways, but can they flat out say they won't give you your clearance at all? I've been denied FF before but never IFR in air.

I used to fly from NW NC to Princeton, NJ on occasion. Once, upon departing Princeton, I called NY Approach to get my IFR clearance. And they actually told me to GO BACK AND LAND AND CALL THEM ON THE PHONE! Of course, I did not. I air filed another IFR clearance originating at a VOR near Philly and then called Philly approach for the clearance when I was at that point. It did involve a lot of heads down time in pretty busy airspace, staying away from some Class D airports such as Trenton, so I was not very comfortable.

Wells

I used to fly from NW NC to Princeton, NJ on occasion. Once, upon departing Princeton, I called NY Approach to get my IFR clearance. And they actually told me to GO BACK AND LAND AND CALL THEM ON THE PHONE! Of course, I did not. I air filed another IFR clearance originating at a VOR near Philly and then called Philly approach for the clearance when I was at that point. It did involve a lot of heads down time in pretty busy airspace, staying away from some Class D airports such as Trenton, so I was not very comfortable.

Wells

That's basically what they told me too. Must be SOP not to issue airborne IFR clearances. Funny, NY approach controllers seem to be very accommodating when you're VFR with flight following and bravo clearances, but not very flexible at all when dealing with IFR flibs. As such, I try to stick with VFR when practicable in the northeast.

Back