Phoenix

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What is a good g.a. airport on the east side for a first time ifr pilot to use, for attending meetings downtown?

Scottsdale or Deer Valley. DVT is sorta north, while Scottsdale is more east. pretty easy to get in and out under the Bravo.

Let'sgoflying! said:
What is a good g.a. airport on the east side for a first time ifr pilot to use, for attending meetings downtown?

Dave,

I like Mesa/Falcon Field.

SDL is OK, but the FBO was more geared to kerosene. At SDL you are supposed to call ground before engine start, even if you burn AvGas.

Falcon is pretty easy to get in and out. Fuel was less expensive than the other airports when I was in Phoenix this spring. It's a bit of a ride to downtown, but no worse than any of the other GA airports (the most convenient to downtown is the big airport, PHX).

Be aware that IFR arrivals to any of the east-side relievers will be given the grand tour of the area. Standard small-plane IFR arrival is to TFD, then north to PXR, then vectors to the airport. You might get turned early on vectors - but not before TFD - depending on traffic at PHX. Expect this to add 10-20 minutes to your arrival. Same deal on IFR departures, over PHX airport, then down to TFD, then a climb on the airway.

There was (is?) a small area wedged between the Class B and the MOAs/mountains where you could come in on the east side VFR. The FAA had a rulemaking out to lower the Class B floor on the east side, which would effectively close that corridor. I never wanted to risk it.

Rental cars (Hertz) on-site at Falcon. Freeway access OK.

If you're coming from West Texas by way of ELP and approaching the Phoenix area from the southeast, Chandler (KCHD) would be convenient for you, being on the near side of the Class B. It has GPS, VOR and NDB approaches. Williams-Gateway (KIWA), a former USAF base with three parallel 10,000' runways and an ILS, is a little further southeast.

-- Pilawt

Thanks, he was thinking Mesa, and I had been to Chandler. Will mention the others to him.
Bill, should an east arrival expect the grand tour, if the destination is an east-side airport??

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks, he was thinking Mesa, and I had been to Chandler. Will mention the others to him.
Bill, should an east arrival expect the grand tour, if the destination is an east-side airport??

Dave, Falcon Field is at Mesa. Same airport.

Piston arrivals from the East get Stanfield (TFD) pretty much regardless of destination. That's due to the routing of the SUNNS arrival and its proximity to the MOAs on the east side. Dunno what you'll get if you're flying the Citation... though I'd bet they put you on the arrival and swing you around to the airport.

I've flown into the Phoenix area a number of times (usually get fuel at LRU), and every time I've been routed over TFD. I believe you'll even get TFD if you're headed into Chandler, but I'm not sure... the only time I was going to fly in there, fuel was a LOT higher than Falcon.

Last edited:
wsuffa said:
Dave, Falcon Field is at Mesa. Same airport.

Piston arrivals from the East get Stanfield (TFD) pretty much regardless of destination. That's due to the routing of the SUNNS arrival and its proximity to the MOAs on the east side. Dunno what you'll get if you're flying the Citation... though I'd bet they put you on the arrival and swing you around to the airport.

I've flown into PHX a number of times (usually get fuel at LRU), and every time I've been routed over TFD. I believe you'll even get TFD if you're headed into Chandler, but I'm not sure... the only time I was going to fly in there, fuel was a LOT higher than Falcon.

I went into chandler IFR and yes I got the Stanfield routing. I was on an Angel Flight and when I got around CHROME or SLAMM, asked for direct to the airport and got it. I bet if your in the jet you will get the arrival.
It was an easy airport to get in and out of even for a green horn like me, lol
Don

Let'sgoflying! said:
this is for a newbie ifr pilot I mentored last year - thanks guys.

Ah, OK.

Expect routing over TFD. Controllers aren't too bad, but there is a huge amount of traffic on the east side, particularly over Chandler, Mesa/Falcon, and so forth because there is no good way to route people due east.

He shouldn't have trouble with either option. I found Falcon to be my favorite with good service and a very helpful tower. If he uses Falcon, just ask tower for progressive to transient parking.

Back