Phoenix Winter Tiedown

Eric Stoltz

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ES
I'm thinking of repositioning the Mighty Beech named TheTealDeal to Phoenix this winter. (The PNW is great in the summer) I'm thinking east of downtown since that is where family lives. Maybe west, because - family... No major requirements, just a good community since most of they flying is done in hangars anyway. And maybe a good greasy spoon near or on the field - bacon being the most important food group!

Suggestions?

I live in downtown PHX and the 172 is hangared at Goodyear. It’s exactly 20 miles from condo to hangar via I-10, but family and our church are in the neighborhood (I’m typing this there now), so it works out. And my trips to/from the airport are usually the opposite direction of rush-hour traffic.

No food at GYR at present, but plenty of places a couple of miles north at Litchfield & I-10.

There’s usually a waiting list for hangars, but covered tiedowns might be available. Call the airport office, ask for Debbie. Rates are very reasonable. goodyearairport.com. Call quick; snowbirds are on their way.

Give a shout when you get down here. There’s a subgroup on POA that gets together for breakfast fly-outs occasionally.

Thanks guys! What about Falcon? That restaurant looks amazing!

Amazing and restaurant are not two words I've heard about Falcon Field. Which restaurant are you referring to? It's not a destination I hear people flying to for a bite to eat.

Falcon is very busy with a major aviation academy (CAE/Oxford) based there. However, I don't think that's a reason not be winter at that airport.

You might check out KCHD. Nice airport restaurant on the field, very active group of hangar fliers, a very active EAA Chapter that you would be welcome to tag along with on flyouts and chapter meetings and activities.

I like the idea of KCHD, thnaks!

At Falcon, there's a joint you can taxi up to, order a slab of dead animal on a nearly magma hot rock that is cooking said dead animal. Plus, there's that brewery and restaurant right next door, too.

Thanks guys! What about Falcon? That restaurant looks amazing!
Falcon is fine. Plenty of ramp space. FFZ is where my T6 is right now (had to leave it there and commercial home due to weather).

Only downside of FFZ is the high volume of student traffic. Oxford flight school has a large presence there so it can get busy, but still not as bad as DVT.

If you like the idea of Chandler you can look at P19, too. Super active community but a slower pace than the places with the big name flight schools. Everything is a close flight and you can get pizza delivered to the gate if you want to have hangar talk and eat!

Only downside of FFZ is the high volume of student traffic.
Same can be said of GYR, only the accents are different. Of course, the schools send their students out to quieter fields for practice (BXK and E63, for example). So even at an outlying field with no big school on-site, you'll probably still be sharing the pattern with some of the huge Phoenix-area puppy mill fleet.

Back