Phoenix lights

I've caught a few of those launches over the years. Coolest is when they launch just as the sun is going down and you catch the launch trail at dusk, and then follow it up in to the dark of the sky where it grows brighter and brighter. That's a nice pic you grabbed. Looks like you must live close to downtown in one of those high rise condos. Nice view. :thumbsup:

My wife caught this during her evening walk here in Orange County, CA. And I saw on another forum where someone flying over Prescott got a nice view of the SpaceX launch as well. Impressive!

Attachments

• 7862C82E-3232-4F2D-B40B-4C3BBF6AF0F5.jpeg
    7862C82E-3232-4F2D-B40B-4C3BBF6AF0F5.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33
what optical illusion makes it appear that it is not ascending? Simply, the viewing angle?

Phoenix is known for reports of weird lights in the sky. Well, tonight we had a front row seat on our balcony ...

View attachment 58713

News reports say it was the Space-X rocket out of Vandenberg AFB.

At least that's what they want us to think. :eek::rolleyes::p
I'm in Palmdale, CA and yes, they launched something. Kicking myself for not taking a pic. I didn't see it launch, but the, uh, chem trails it leaves are pretty cool.

What is a Space-X any way. Obviously not orbital if it's buzzing Phoenix
Iridium satellite launch vehicle, at least for this mission. Looks like it's buzzing Phoenix due to the way the sun is hitting it, but it's about 50 miles up in the air.

I got to see a night time space shuttle launch from about 5 miles away. Instantly went from night to day.

Iridium satellite launch vehicle, at least for this mission. Looks like it's buzzing Phoenix due to the way the sun is hitting it, but it's about 50 miles up in the air.
Does it go orbital and let satellite go? Or am I guessing right it gets up around 50 mils and then launches the satellite? Where does it land, back at VBG.

Does it go orbital and let satellite go? Or am I guessing right it gets up around 50 mils and then launches the satellite? Where does it land, back at VBG.
Yep... hits orbit then dumps the satellites where Iridium wants them. I think I read somewhere that this launch vehicle is expendable and won't be returning.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the Iridium company as that's who I may go with for my satellite internet connection when I move in to an RV. ;)

Looks like it's buzzing Phoenix due to the way the sun is hitting it, but it's about 50 miles up in the air.
According to the NASA animation on the local news, the trajectory was southward from VBG. But it was high enough to be seen here, almost 500 miles away, and still illuminated by the sun though the sky was completely dark here, about 70 minutes after sunset.

What looked odd from here is that the object appeared to be descending toward the south, moving very slowly. In fact it was still gaining altitude but following the curvature of the earth.

My son, driving home to Buckeye from Sky Harbor, called and said, “Look out to the west!” When I first saw it, it seemed to be moving so slowly that my first thought was it was a comet. Of course the “tail” would be pointing the wrong direction to be a comet.

Last edited:
Chemtrail Kelli will be on TV tomorrow offering this as proof of her crazy theory

... Where does it land, back at VBG.

This one was a one way trip but the first stage had previously been used.

What looked odd from here is that the object appeared to be descending toward the south, moving very slowly. It was, of course, still gaining altitude but following the curvature of the earth.
Think about this. Look at all the satellite dishes in your complex and on all the roofs where you have a vantage point. Which direction are they all facing?

We built all the reaction wheels (attitude control) for all the Iridium satellites :)

Think about this. Look at all the satellite dishes in your complex and on all the roofs where you have a vantage point. Which direction are they all facing?
Very true.

Here it is, just before it disappeared behind the Estrella Mountains, with the moon above, and an airliner inbound to KPHX Rwy 8. Compare the rocket's position with reference to the tallest lighted radio tower in the first photo. The photos were taken about a minute apart.

PC222501_800.jpg

Last edited:
Back