Phoenix has another plane problem

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
So......... here we are again.

Took the ol' plane up to KSBP for a wash/wax/buff. The painted parts look great. Clearcoat that still exists looks great. The clear that was peeling got knocked down quite a bit, so that's good.

Battery seems to be working. So that's fixed.

The one remaining issue is that the squelch on my Comm1 (GNS530) opened on the running rough night, and it won't go away. I press the stupid knob, and it doesn't do anything. At the time I figured it was just some weirdness with atmospheric conditions or the evening or the receiver or something. But the issue persists. I assume I can change this in the shop settings when I power on the box?

And [NA]... once I get that squared away, I get to run down the new oil leak in my car. YAY.

Wait? Did your comm get screwy at SBP? I swear, whenever I keyed the Mike on the 'pico at SBP the squelch would die. Com 1 or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait? Did your comm get screwy at SBP? I swear, whenever I keyed the Mike on the 'pico at SBP the squelch would die. Com 1 or 2.

No. It was like.... A month ago. I thought it was going to be temporary. It isn't. :/

What headset do you use?

I believe the squelch on the GNS530 is either off or automatic, but otherwise cannot be adjusted.

I had a problem with an open squelch continually passing static to my ears. I finally fixed it by slightly decreasing the mic gain adjustment on the mic boom of my Lightspeed Zulu headset.

Last edited:
What headset do you use?

I believe the squelch on the GNS530 is either off or automatic, but otherwise cannot be adjusted.

I had a problem with an open squelch continually passing static to my ears. I finally fixed it by slightly decreasing the mic gain adjustment on the mic boom of my Lightspeed Zulu headset.
I have QT Halos. I plugged in a set of DCs I have too. Same issue.

The squelch adjustment procedure for my garmin radio was in the installation manual, not the users manual. Different radio but same manufacturer? Had to hold buttons while turning on and so on to adjust the "auto" schuelch.

The squelch adjustment procedure for my garmin radio was in the installation manual, not the users manual. Different radio but same manufacturer? Had to hold buttons while turning on and so on to adjust the "auto" schuelch.

Yeah... so much for it being "auto" right?

Good tip.

@ircphoenix, here's a link to the 500 series installation manual which includes instruction on how to set the squelch value between 0 and 63. "The higher the number, the less signal is required to break squelch."

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/1341_InstallationManual.pdf

See section 5.3.10.

Excellent info! Thanks!!

Back