Phoenix Friday

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Hey phoenix people.. I won tixs to the DBacks game friday evening, and am planning on flying down there friday afternoon. I will stay the night in a local hotel, then fly out in the AM.
So my questions are....What field should i fly into? how would you get to the "BOB" from there, and any hotel deals to be had out there? Id hate to spend a fortune for a few hours of sleep, but i dont want a dive either. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Last edited:
Michael said:
Hey phoenix people.. I won tixs to the DBacks game friday evening, and am planning on flying down there friday afternoon. I will stay the night in a local hotel, then fly out in the AM.
So my questions are....What field should i fly into? how would you get to the "BOB" from there, and any hotel deals to be had out there? Id hate to spend a fortune for a few hours of sleep, but i dont want a dive either. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Michael
The BOB is downtown. Scottsdale wouldn't be bad but it would probably be easier (and a little cheaper) to stay in the Deer Valley area. Taxi rides may end up being as much as a rental car. If I was going to be around, I'd offer you a ride or two.

Westwind FBO has a Hertz Local Edition. Nice people. We rent from them a LOT for business travel.

Not sure what about any fees but I know the transient parking in front of the terminal is available for anything less than 48 hours.

Local hotels are reasonable and they are decent. Airnav's listing (bottom of the page here: http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDVT) is accurate. I'd avoid the Days Inn and Best Western...maybe the Red Roof, too. You might ask Westwind if you get the car.

Drive time at that time of day should be about 30 minutes to downtown from either SDL or DVT. There are lots of restaurants downtown if you want to eat there, too.

I have to work on Saturday but could meet you at DVT for breakfast if you're interested. Not scheduled or anything so whenever you're up and functional. ;)

Thanks Brian,
What hotels are near the BOB? do you know? AirNav is great but doesnt show me where the hotles are and I am not familliar with the area...Breakfast sounds like a great idea.

Michael said:
Thanks Brian,
What hotels are near the BOB? do you know? AirNav is great but doesnt show me where the hotles are and I am not familliar with the area...Breakfast sounds like a great idea.
I thought you were staying near the airport. Sorry. Downtown has the more expensive stuff. Hyatt Regency is a short walk from the BOB.

Hotels.com has a cool search function. Enter the basics on the first page, then hit Go. On the results page, in the upper right corner is a "Show Hotels Near Landmark" menu. Pick Bank One Ballpark. Nice list comes up.

Thanks Brian. I am planning on renting a car at Deer Valley and getting a room near Downtown. Send me your number, Ill give you a shout Saturday morning. Is there a resturant at Deer Valley Airport?

Michael said:
Send me your number, Ill give you a shout Saturday morning. Is there a resturant at Deer Valley Airport?
Number PM'd to you in a few minutes.

Yup, DVT has a nice restaurant looking at the transient ramp, right in front of the terminal. Good breakfast and not expensive. I'm a regular. :D

Go to
http://www.maps.google.com
put in the string........

hotels near 401 E. Jefferson Street. phoenix, az

One cool thing about google maps is the "near" function.

Pun in your home address with "pizza near" before it (without quotes) and you'll see ahh the pizza near home, with links.
Works for a lot of different business types like hardware stores and such.

There's a cool picture of the "BoB" on the satellite view. The roof was open at the time of the pass.

Yep, I'm doing my part to spread the MAPS.GOOGLE word!!!
Disclaimer: I do not own any shares of GOOGLE.

Michael, I tell you what, you come pick me up, take me to the game, and I'll arrange transportation and accomodations. My sis lives just a few miles from Deer Valley.

Richard said:
Michael, I tell you what, you come pick me up, take me to the game, and I'll arrange transportation and accomodations. My sis lives just a few miles from Deer Valley.

Richard, As tempting as that my be, I know if I take my Girlfriend..Chances are Ill get lucky (wink wink, nudge nudge). So....Sorry man. Maybe next time. :dance:

Michael, watch the winds at DVT. Supposed to pick up this afternoon.

If you come in from the south, you'll get the longer runway and closer to the terminal. North to South runway transitions are rare if it's even fairly busy.

It just occured to me: there is Luke AFB traffic coming in across the MOAs. What's your route? Are you familiar with dealing with the MOAs around there?

Brian Austin said:
It just occured to me: there is Luke AFB traffic coming in across the MOAs. What's your route? Are you familiar with dealing with the MOAs around there?

Thanks Brian, I will contact Luke south of wickenburg. My plan was for direct wickenburg, direct DVT. I could hop on over east to the lake to avoid the MOA if needed.
As far as the winds, I am getting conflicting terminal forcasts depending on where I look. the best being 9mph and the worst being 22mph. the winds aloft at 7500 and 9500 are less than 30, although i expect a bumpy ride, there shouldnt be any issues. I reserved a room and a rental car. Looks like Cutter FBO has an Enterprise there.
If all goes as planned, and I get out of working early, I will be arriving at DVT by 3:00....is there anyplace to wash the bugs off the plane after landing??? :D

Michael said:
If all goes as planned, and I get out of working early, I will be arriving at DVT by 3:00....is there anyplace to wash the bugs off the plane after landing??? :D
There are some wash racks around there (don't know where, not an owner yet). Otherwise if you get Westwind to fill it for you, I know they'll clean it off for you, too. I've watched them do it to others.

The self-serve area may have something available, too.

Back