Phishing alert

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Recently I have been getting a bunch of calls purporting to be from Bank of America's "overdraft collections" department. The calls have been coming in, caller ID blocked, to my cell phone, which I never gave the bank. It's a recorded call that leaves a number. Upon calling the number, you get a typical automated attendant type answer, which then instructs you to leave your name, acct # etc and someone will call you back.

Since my personal information was among that on the DOT laptop that was stolen in Florida, I called Bank of America (where my primary checking acct is) to make sure there was no suspicious activity on my account that I had not detected online. Fortunately there was not. Beware.

Good move. Whenever you get a message to call your bank or credit card issuer always use the number on the card or in the phone book. Let them transfer you.

we got the equifax creditmonitoring service, or whatever its called, a few years ago after a friend at work had his credit destroyed. somebody opened up numerous charge cards in his name but with a different address, and kept charging and using other cards to make minimum payments til the whole pyramid collapsed and the creditors came looking for my friend! as i recall there were over 200g's in charges and hes been working on it for 2yrs now and has spent something like 25g's with attorneys trying to fix it. anyway, after that we got the service and the 10bucks a month to get a warning anytime somebody checks your credit or opens a card or loan is worth it to me. if you live in fla and want to go cheap, the legislature finally stood up to the credit card companies and will allow consumers to place a password on their credit. not sure whats involved. you probably need to contact the 3 major credit services but well worth the effort. if you don't feel like keeping an eye on this stuff don't worry. they let you know when the brown stuff hits the fan! tc

how do you know if yours is one of the stolen FAA ID's in Fla; do they notify you or can you look somewhere?

Back