Philadelphia Class B air tour. Anyone ever request it?

bmoeller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
RedHeadBarron
I've been thinking about calling Philly ATC on the land line to see what the chances are of getting approval for an air tour of the city. I figure if I stay north of center city / 676 and west of the Delaware, I would stay clear of the approach/departures.

Anyone else try this already? Tips/tricks?

Never asked, but from my office in Center City I've seen plenty of banner towing planes circling around exactly where you're looking to fly.

I don't see any reason why it'd be a problem - there's an arrival that takes the big boys close to downtown, but they're between 6000' and 4000' at that point. The controllers at PHL tend to be pretty accommodating, IMO.

I don't see any reason why it'd be a problem - there's an arrival that takes the big boys close to downtown, but they're between 6000' and 4000' at that point. The controllers at PHL tend to be pretty accommodating, IMO.
Yeah. All my interactions have been pleasant and when monitoring LiveATC, they really seem to try and get your requests approved. Still, I figure a call before hand to see if they have some preferred time periods or areas before I just "show up" would help for a smooth process.

Philly ATC is the best. I know my CFI has spent a lot of time flying city tours, and there's a route they prefer (but I don't know what it is). I'd call them.

Back