PHAK, AIM, and CFR enough for PPL test

ericd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ericd
It seems like all of the basics for the PPL test are covered in the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the AIM. Reviewing the regs in the CFR is a good idea, IMO. The test questions are available online on sites such as exams 4 pilots.

I am self motivated and have a good background in basic physics and vectors.

If I can get my CFI to sign off, is there any reason to take a formal ground school course (online or live)?

Eric

I'll jump in since no one else has. It seems like this is a decision only you and your CFI can make as to whether or not you have had adequate training as well as the knowledge and understanding required by the CFR's. Much has to do with how you best learn. You also didn't say where you are in flight training which can affect your actual understanding of the book knowledge. just my $0.02.

Maybe some of the CFIs will jump in with more insight.

PHAK is a great resource, but might be a little overkill for PPL. I recommend the Airplane Flying Handbook, FAR/AIR and an ASA oral study guide.

I have my students bring me five print outs of an 85% or better on practice tests and then they get my signature.

Last edited:
Quite a few FARS on the knowledge test, so you definitely want to study those. They're mostly practical though.

If your CFI will sign you off, then s/he must think you know enough to pass the test. Otherwise, you won't get that endorsement no matter how many books you've read.

I know I've gone into overkill mode but I was searching for a format that "clicked" with my learning and study style. Ended up with the following.

I have Bob Gardner's Complete Private Pilot and Say Again Please, Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook, the Airplane Flying Handbook and Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge from the FAA, copy of the FAR/AIM, and last but not least I am going through the Gold Seal Ground School.

Spent less then 40 bucks on all the books and Gold Seal is only $77. Would rather be over-prepared then under-prepared.

It seems like all of the basics for the PPL test are covered in the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and the AIM. Reviewing the regs in the CFR is a good idea, IMO. The test questions are available online on sites such as exams 4 pilots.

I am self motivated and have a good background in basic physics and vectors.

If I can get my CFI to sign off, is there any reason to take a formal ground school course (online or live)?

Eric

Your CFI gets the final word, but I think that will work fine. Add the Airplane Flying Handbook and you'll have my original study list....

In retrospect, though, I'd very seriously consider Rod Machado's book. If you have a background in physics, you know just how hard it is to convey the physics of precession to an audience that has never worked with gyroscopes in any detail. Machado has the best description I've seen anywhere, in under a page, with a handful of diagrams.

It's not a cheap book, but it pales compared to aircraft rentals.

Be aware that there are some errors in the PHAK. Make sure you get the errata, and question the physics. Sometimes, that book gets reference frames confused.

In retrospect, though, I'd very seriously consider Rod Machado's book. If you have a background in physics, you know just how hard it is to convey the physics of precession to an audience that has never worked with gyroscopes in any detail. Machado has the best description I've seen anywhere, in under a page, with a handful of diagrams.

It's not a cheap book, but it pales compared to aircraft rentals.

Keep an eye out on Amazon under the used sales listings for the second edition. Snagged mine through there with Textbooks.com as the re-seller. Hard bound, used but no writing or wear to speak of for $20.

Thank you for the replies.
Eric

Back