Peter S’s Medxpress “what you need to know”

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I don’t have a browser bookmark for the document @PeterNSteinmetz created to share with new folk about medical certificates and where the land mines are located.

Can someone share?

Thanks!

We also have this article on our AME directory.

Filling Out MedXPress. Start Your Flight Physical Right.
Thanks for that....

What I'm creating is a short and sweet something that explains
  • A medical is needed
  • It isn't as simple as you think.
  • Common landmines and trip wires that get you sent to deferral hell
  • Where to go to find out more on How to deal with many of today's landmines such as GAD, SSRI use, ADHD, DUI, etc
  • How to get started.
We all know that too many CFI's don't share this information, and the students often get the bad news about the landmines, tripwires, and deferral hell AFTER they have spent money on training, need the medical for solo.

I don't want to be one of those CFI's. Students need to know at the beginning how to be successes.

The key here is to produce the "completed application" copy, obtained at the "completed application" button post submission (No its' still not live at that point), and get that to the AME for consultation. At least that's my process. The agency, AND YOU, do NOT want to get into a protracted, "we cannot tell if you are qualified for the certificiate for which you have applied. Please within the next 60 days send.....". In many cases you juwt cannot get it accomplished.

The application is NOT intended, by the agency, for you to take steps to progressively get qualified; it is is inteded to deliver thumbs up or thumbs down in a statutory required period of consideration. It's behooves EVERYONE for us to be able to see what you need and direct your pre-application evaluations, so that these items are IN HAND on the day of your application.

Note: Because of the eternal Apple Vs. Adobe wars, most Apps on iOS that produce readable PDFs, get defeated on the next iOS upgrade. Do ONLY on a Win 10/Win 11 system. iOS is OFFICIALLY "not supported" by the Medxpress system. If you do it on iOS, the abilty to get the "completed application" copy AKA "airman copy" out of system and to me for pre-review, is erratic at best.

I don't believe an airman should go "live" until you are very very close or have what you need in hand.

A great example would be the single BAC above 0.149 but below 0.20. Depending on the airman's attitude and personal statement, that is probably best dealt with (class 1, for sure) by a HIMS psychiatrist. But No HIMS pscyhiatrist really wants to see you until you have demonstrated six months of sobriety. Try packing that into 60 days. Not possible, and application ends in denial when the HIMS pscyhiatrist merely writes, "I recommend sobriety".

I happy to say that Peter Steinmetz is "one of my guys" and he "gets it".

:)

Last edited:
The key here is to produce the "completed application" copy, obtained at the "completed application" button post submission (No its' still not live at that point), and get that to the AME for consultation. At least that's my process. The agency, AND YOU, do NOT want to get into a protracted, "we cannot tell if you are qualified for the certificiate for which you have applied. Please within the next 60 days send.....". In many cases you juwt cannot get it accomplished.

The application is NOT intended, by the agency, for you to take steps to progressively get qualified; it is is inteded to deliver thumbs up or thumbs down in a statutory required period of consideration. It's behooves EVERYONE for us to be able to see what you need and direct your pre-application evaluations, so that these items are IN HAND on the day of your application.

Note: Because of the eternal Apple Vs. Adobe wars, most Apps on iOS that produce readable PDFs, get defeated on the next iOS upgrade. Do ONLY on a Win 10/Win 11 system. iOS is OFFICIALLY "not supported" by the Medxpress system. If you do it on iOS, the abilty to get the "completed application" copy AKA "airman copy" out of system and to me for pre-review, is erratic at best.

I don't believe an airman should go "live" until you are very very close or have what you need in hand.

A great example would be the single BAC above 0.149 but below 0.20. Depending on the airman's attitude and personal statement, that is probably best dealt with (class 1, for sure) by a HIMS psychiatrist. But No HIMS pscyhiatrist really wants to see you until you have demonstrated six months of sobriety. Try packing that into 60 days. Not possible, and application ends in denial when the HIMS pscyhiatrist merely writes, "I recommend sobriety".

I happy to say that Peter Steinmetz is "one of my guys" and he "gets it".

:)

Thanks Dr. Bruce!!! As always, your advice and counsel are extremely helpful and appreciated!!

Make sure to ping me next time your in DFW so I can buy you dinner and libations

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back