Pesky return receipts on PMs

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
I simply hate the default to return receipts on private messages. Any way to turn that off on an individual basis or, if others are of the same mind, for the system as a whole? I hate those things and I think they serve little purpose, especially on a recreational board. Workplace email, well, they have their uses there so that's a different matter.

What I think is funny, is even with the return receipt on, we don't get a receipt back, just the ability to see that a message was received. Why would we really need that on every PM?

I agree, they are annoying. It depends on your e-mail program. In Microsoft Outlook, click Tools, Options, click E-mail Options and select Tracking Options. Click the box "Never Send a Receipt" if you want to ignore the request for a receipt, and I think (I haven't tried this) if you uncheck "Process receipts on arrival" you won't see the request when it comes in.

BobS said:
I agree, they are annoying. It depends on your e-mail program. In Microsoft Outlook, click Tools, Options, click E-mail Options and select Tracking Options. Click the box "Never Send a Receipt" if you want to ignore the request for a receipt, and I think (I haven't tried this) if you uncheck "Process receipts on arrival" you won't see the request when it comes in.
Yes, but that's email. I'm talking about private messaging on this board.

BobS said:

Can you PM here via email? That would be a nifty feature.

Yes, Nick, you can. Click on any user's profile and if they've opted to allow emails to be sent to them (securely), then they can receive them.

Hmm. I am so used to read-receipts that I ignore them, but I *do* rely on them sometimes, especially when sending important PMs like warnings to other admin about bad things they're doing like criticising the system. (Ken check your PMs!)

(KIDDING!!!)

About warning Ken that is - not about the use of read receipts.

I could look into disabling it for regular users, but I do not want to give up the functionality as an admin when I do rely on it from time to time.

Greebo said:
Yes, Nick, you can. Click on any user's profile and if they've opted to allow emails to be sent to them (securely), then they can receive them.

I was actually thinking the other way around. I send an email to some address, and it appears as a PM.

I recently figured out that you can do that with SprintPCS, and its useful. Probably not as much here, but still....

How about defaulting to no and changing the wording to something simple like, Do you want Y/N. OK and cancel are confusing.

Unfortunately, OK and Cancel are built into IE/Firefox. They aren't changeable without changing how the confirmation method works, and any other method would require popup windows that popup blockers would disallow.

how about a checkbox on the PM screen itself "[ ] Request Read Receipt"

That would require a hack, and no new hacks or modifications will be made to PoA until vBulletin releases version 3.5 and we move to that software.

At present vBulletin is on Release Candidate 3 but I know there will be at least ONE more RC.

Back