Personal statement for FAA medexpress

piperbee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PiperBee
Hi folks,
I need some advice. I just started my medexpress for PPL and get stuck on one medical record.
3 years ago I had to toxic and stressful environment at work and my doctor put me on a low doze of antidepressants due to anxiety.
The situation was managed, I have never had any similar episodes like that for 2 year and I actually already forgot about it.
Now in order to complete my medexpress certification I need to submit a lot of documents.
I already got the report from my treating doctor of a complete clinical remission, got evaluation from psychiatrist and now I need to write a personal statement about that episode.
I read that it really matters what we should put in this statement and looking for any advice from people who went through this process.
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

If you haven't seen an AME to start your MedExpress, I would suggest a consultation first. If you are only planning on flying for personal enjoyment, I would recommend looking into Sport Pilot. With MOSIAC, hopefully to be finalized sometime next year. It will open up a lot more options to those with a Sport Pilot certification.

If you're planning on flying commercially, then you are going to have to jump thru some major hoops.

You mentioned that you got an evaluation from a psychiatrist. Was it an FAA approved HIMS psychiatrist. If it wasn't, you will need to do that. I don't know if you can see a HIMS psychiatrist before you go in for your MedExpress evaluation, or if you need to wait for a denial letter from the FAA.

I would suggest getting the opinions of @WingmanMed, @lbfjrmd, and @bbchien.

You also may want a moderator to move this thread to the Medical Topics section.

If you haven't seen an AME to start your MedExpress, I would suggest a consultation first. If you are only planning on flying for personal enjoyment, I would recommend looking into Sport Pilot. With MOSIAC, hopefully to be finalized sometime next year. It will open up a lot more options to those with a Sport Pilot certification.

If you're planning on flying commercially, then you are going to have to jump thru some major hoops.

You mentioned that you got an evaluation from a psychiatrist. Was it an FAA approved HIMS psychiatrist. If it wasn't, you will need to do that. I don't know if you can see a HIMS psychiatrist before you go in for your MedExpress evaluation, or if you need to wait for a denial letter from the FAA.

I would suggest getting the opinions of @WingmanMed, @lbfjrmd, and @bbchien.

You also may want a moderator to move this thread to the Medical Topics section.
I have already seen AME and I guess the application was submitted at some point, at least it is shown as pending on website on the date when I had my dr visit.
They gave me faa requirements and it states I need to see board certified psychiatrist, nothing else. This is what I did.
I’m not planning to do a commercial flying, at least for now.
And in general I feel really bummed right now. We are all humans and the situation can happen to everyone and now I’m stuck with this record for whole my life.

Back