Personal Milestone...

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
I have an accelerated student right now who wanted to start out right - in a taildragger.

He soloed the Taylorcraft (my aircraft) today. It was fun to watch and I'm happy to say that he did pretty well. I've had some other students solo taildraggers, but this was the first in my own flight school aircraft.

Thought you might enjoy seeing some of the pictures.

1014276_508454295874360_104750042_n.jpg

More photos are at the link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.508453402541116.1073741827.144125688973891&type=3

Ryan

Having a student solo for the first time on a grass runway is asking for trouble. Do not try that again.

Whew. The grass runway at Llano, when not wet, is on my top 5 runways of personal choice list to fly on. It's about as perfect as I could ask for.

Ryan

Having a student solo for the first time on a grass runway is asking for trouble. Do not try that again.

Obviously a tongue in cheek statement?

A lot of pilots completed their entire training and check ride, all on grass.
It's hard to get them off the grass now!

Obviously a tongue in cheek statement?

A lot of pilots completed their entire training and check ride, all on grass.
It's hard to get them off the grass now!

I'm witness to this. I took my check ride (recreational) in my Tcraft from a private grass strip in 2000, just did my first hard surface landing Saturday...

I think Ryan did really well! And his student will thank him later!

-VanDy

yea the grass runway at Llano is nice, although when I was there in 2011 it wasn't very grassy. We landed there every day, had the trailers tied down on the north side.

A Taylorcraft on grass is like a burger on a bun...it was meant to be.

There's a grass strip at my airport that nobody else but me seems to know about. It's right alongside the main runway. ;)

There's a grass strip at my airport that nobody else but me seems to know about. It's right alongside the main runway. ;)

Mine too! We also have an east / west grass runway that no one seems to know about. In fact. One windy day some goober chastised me on the radio for landing on that east / west grass. I invited him to come on down to hangar 4 but he didn't show. I mean, who would turn down a flight in an old tailwheel? :D

never did a grass runway, sounds fun though

It was several years before I did my first. Finally got a CFI familiar with Red Stewart and did an evening of landings.

I then promptly only landed my plane at one other grass strip.:mad2:

However I am now perfectly willing to land on one if that happens to be the surface at my destination.

I then promptly only landed my plane at one other grass strip.:mad2:

Boy, now, THAT makes me feel REALLY special. :)

Oh....wait....you landed on TWO grass strips that day! Count 'em...TWO!

Last edited:
I've got a 1946 Luscombe 8E that I've been slowly restoring for the past 8 years and when it's done in a year or two I'm taking a month off and I'm gonna hit every grass strip I can find between California and the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport New York.

I've got a big long list but suggestions are always welcome.

Ste. Genevieve, Mo (6mo2)

And, of course, Diana's strip (08mo)

If you take the southern route, then you can't beat shade tree(ms82) just north of Gulfport.

Last edited:
Back