Personal Aerial Vehicles

They fixed the helicopter so now everyone can fly one. Why did I spend so much on flight training and recurrent training if they are going to let every Tom, Dick, and Harry loose.

http://cordis.europa.eu/news/rcn/122193_en.html

Had to re-form the link to include a www to get it to load.

I think the real problem is what do you do when something goes South on that machine. Then the training issue will kick in.

Misplaced pilot driver ego same thing that killed the Ercoupe, and causes self delusional tailwheel glory.

Forget "as easy as driving a car." There are helicopters flying now that are completely autonomous. There's an EMS version out that can land and take off at anywhere without pilot input. Future of all commercial pilots will be of a systems manager an not a true pilot by definition.

"Siri, fly me to Honolulu."

"There is not enough fuel to complete the flight to Honolulu. Do you wish to continue?"

Misplaced pilot driver ego same thing that killed the Ercoupe, and causes self delusional tailwheel glory.

I don't think so. When I cross-shopped Ercoupe and C-150, even the ancient 150s were better than the only decent Ercouple, the Alon, which even had normal seats and radio stack. The 150s flew faster and farther, and carried more. The only thing better in Alon was the visibility. In any other regard it was an inferior airplane. And the old 415-C models were plain impossible to get into. They were airplanes built for midgets.

I don't think so. When I cross-shopped Ercoupe and C-150, even the ancient 150s were better than the only decent Ercouple, the Alon, which even had normal seats and radio stack. The 150s flew faster and farther, and carried more. The only thing better in Alon was the visibility. In any other regard it was an inferior airplane. And the old 415-C models were plain impossible to get into. They were airplanes built for midgets.

That is now, back in the day they were market failures due to ego.

Back