Performing your own maintenance question.

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
FAR 43 appendix A covers preventive maintenance.

Going to (c), 30. it says:

(30) The inspection and maintenance tasks prescribed and specifically identified as preventive maintenance in a primary category aircraft type certificate or supplemental type certificate holder's approved special inspection and preventive maintenance program when accomplished on a primary category aircraft provided:

(i) They are performed by the holder of at least a private pilot certificate issued under part 61 who is the registered owner (including co-owners) of the affected aircraft and who holds a certificate of competency for the affected aircraft (1) issued by a school approved under §147.21(e) of this chapter; (2) issued by the holder of the production certificate for that primary category aircraft that has a special training program approved under §21.24 of this subchapter; or (3) issued by another entity that has a course approved by the Administrator;

(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.

I'm trying to find out if myself or my dad can change the oil/filter(and other preventive maintenance tasks listed) on his LSA or if we can't without taking some sort of course. From what I'm reading above, we can't... or are the LSA rules different?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

Going to (c), 30. it says:

(30) The inspection and maintenance tasks prescribed and specifically identified as preventive maintenance in a primary category aircraft type certificate or supplemental type certificate holder's approved special inspection and preventive maintenance program when accomplished on a primary category aircraft provided:

(i) They are performed by the holder of at least a private pilot certificate issued under part 61 who is the registered owner (including co-owners) of the affected aircraft and who holds a certificate of competency for the affected aircraft (1) issued by a school approved under §147.21(e) of this chapter; (2) issued by the holder of the production certificate for that primary category aircraft that has a special training program approved under §21.24 of this subchapter; or (3) issued by another entity that has a course approved by the Administrator;

(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.

I'm trying to find out if myself or my dad can change the oil/filter(and other preventive maintenance tasks listed) on his LSA or if we can't without taking some sort of course. From what I'm reading above, we can't... or are the LSA rules different?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

The pilot/owner of an LSA can change the oil, filter etc. You do not need a class or other certification. But..before you do it, make sure you witness a pro do it first, make notes, take pictures etc. and on the first one, possibly even have a pro check your work.

And yes, if you are a pilot and owner you can sign the engine log book for that oil change. If you want to make doubly sure it's okay, ask both the aircraft manufacturer and the engine maker...

Per the "bible" (FAR manual), your father as the owner can perform preventative maintenance and return the aircraft to service with a record in the log book.

You do not need any classes. However, if you guys are not 100% familiar with the procedure for that specific aircraft, I recommend that you watch a mechanic do it once. Or even better, have a mechanic oversee your work.

Hope this helps.
Lou

The most difficult part,will be safety wiring of the oil filter. I would watch one do one.

Per the "bible" (FAR manual), your father as the owner can perform preventative maintenance and return the aircraft to service with a record in the log book.

You do not need any classes. However, if you guys are not 100% familiar with the procedure for that specific aircraft, I recommend that you watch a mechanic do it once. Or even better, have a mechanic oversee your work.

Hope this helps.
Lou

The FAR is not quite so restrictive, it says any PP or better can do it. It goes further elsewhere on the owner's behalf in allowing the owner to procure or produce parts for their aircraft.

It [FAR] goes further elsewhere on the owner's behalf in allowing the owner to procure or produce parts for their aircraft.

Ah, but my understanding is it doesn't allow the owner to "approve" the owner-built parts, that's for the FAA to decide, nor install them. Installing them is for an A&P after assuring they've been FAA-approved and conform to the approved design.

dtuuri

Thanks for the replies.

I have the maintenance manual for the 912is and I've been a diesel tech for over a decade, so in not worried about it being done correctly, just wanted to be sure we are legal.

PS... The oil filter isn't safety wired. I thought that was odd.

Ah, but my understanding is it doesn't allow the owner to "approve" the owner-built parts, that's for the FAA to decide, nor install them. Installing them is for an A&P after assuring they've been FAA-approved and conform to the approved design.

dtuuri

I don't think you have the approve part correct. Lots of little things that are common in industry have a mil-spec number. If you can find the same mil-spec part for 10% of what the aviation market asks for that part, you can use that part with no further authorization required. If you bring a machinist the part spec from the manufacturer to be reproduced, and it gets reproduced to spec, you can use that part with no further approval outside normal 337.

If you want to modify and improve a part, then you need either DER or FAA part approval.

I don't think you have the approve part correct. Lots of little things that are common in industry have a mil-spec number.
Standard parts are certainly allowed, like AN nuts and bolts.

If you bring a machinist the part spec from the manufacturer to be reproduced, and it gets reproduced to spec, you can use that part with no further approval outside normal 337.
Well, a 337 is for major repairs or alterations conducted by the A&P. That's not the same as an "owner-built" part, IMO. If an owner wants to build an old 'expander tube' brake assembly for, say, his Stinson Reliant and have the A&P install it I think the FAA has to approve the part first. A DER could do that too, I suppose. The owner can't just build it and pronounce it, "Approved by me the owner, here stick it on."

dtuuri

Thanks for the replies.

I have the maintenance manual for the 912is and I've been a diesel tech for over a decade, so in not worried about it being done correctly, just wanted to be sure we are legal.

PS... The oil filter isn't safety wired. I thought that was odd.

First, the person doing the oil change must be a certified pilot and owner or a certified A&P. And that person must sign the engine logbook.

You didn't say it was a Rotax. I have one. You must use a certified Rotax oil filter, they are unique to the Rotax engines. They have special interior design that Rotax expects. The rubber gasket on the oil filter should be lubed with heat resistant flex seal, or a little fresh oil. Tighten the filter snug, then turn another 3/4 turn.

Here is an example of the service bulletin for oil changes from Rotax: http://flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d05644.pdf

Be careful not to turn the prop once you have the oil drained. This put air into the system that will harm the valves.

Do not overfill with oil. Your engine should take about 3 quarts, and unless you burn Mogas, you will be using Aeroshell Sport 4 in it, consult Rotax lit or your aircraft maint guide on what oil to use.

Make sure to burp the engine with at least 30 turns of the prop (that should also be listed in the Rotax service bulletin for oil changes) to make sure oil circulates and lubes properly before starting the engine.

And make sure to use new crush washers or you could spring a small leak and make a mess later.

First, the person doing the oil change must be a certified pilot and owner or a certified A&P.
Note, however, that if you hold only a Sport Pilot certificate, you can only do this on LSA's. It takes at least Recreational to work on a Standard category aircraft. Also, you need not be a pilot and owner -- just be a certified pilot who either owns or operates the aircraft involved.
(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

Excellent, thanks Ron. I'm more adept at
maintenance so since I can, I'll be doing the oil changes.

CTLSi, thanks for your advice. The manual covers it all, but I might have missed something so I do appreciate it.

Going to (c), 30. it says:...

I believe you are reading the wrong section. For oil and filter you should be referencing (c)23 Cleaning or replacing fuel and oil strainers or filter elements.

(c)30 refers to special maintenance and inspection items not listed in Appendix A but included in the aircraft or engine Type Certificate or an STC.

Note, however, that if you hold only a Sport Pilot certificate, you can only do this on LSA's. It takes at least Recreational to work on a Standard category aircraft. Also, you need not be a pilot and owner -- just be a certified pilot who either owns or operates the aircraft involved.
Many LSAs are standard category aircraft. I assume you meant to write S-LSA and/or E-LSA. Also, there are many LSAs that are E-AB which is yet another set of rules.

Many LSAs are standard category aircraft. I assume you meant to write S-LSA and/or E-LSA. Also, there are many LSAs that are E-AB which is yet another set of rules.
First, S-LSA's are not Standard category aircraft. They hold a Special airworthiness certificate in the Light Sport category, Do not confuse a S-LSA aircraft with a Standard category aircraft which meets the limitations for Sport Pilots, like an old Ercoupe -- those are not LSA's and they do not have a Special airworthiness certificate in the Light Sport category. As for preventive maintenance on these aircraft it says in 43.5:
(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.
So, Sport Pilots can do preventive maintenance on S-LSA's. OTOH, even if they are being operated by a Sport Pilot within the Sport Pilot limitations, Standard category aircraft which meet the limits for Sport Pilot operation (e.g., an Ercoupe) still hold a Standard category airworthiness certificate, not a Special airworthiness certificate in the Light Sport category -- and that means a Sport Pilot is not authorized to perform preventive maintenance on them even if s/he is authorized to fly them within Sport Pilot limits.

IOW, other than Experimentals (which you correctly note have different rules entirely), the authorization of a Sport Pilot to perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft depends on what it says on the airworthiness certificate, i.e., whether it says "Special - Light Sport" or "Standard" on that certificate. If that paper says "Standard", then a Sport Pilot is not authorized to do preventive maintenance on it regardless of whether it is operated within the Sport Pilot limitations or not.

Last edited:
First, the person doing the oil change must be a certified pilot and owner or a certified A&P. And that person must sign the engine logbook.

You didn't say it was a Rotax. I have one. You must use a certified Rotax oil filter, they are unique to the Rotax engines. They have special interior design that Rotax expects. The rubber gasket on the oil filter should be lubed with heat resistant flex seal, or a little fresh oil. Tighten the filter snug, then turn another 3/4 turn.

Here is an example of the service bulletin for oil changes from Rotax: http://flyrotax.com/portaldata/5/dokus/d05644.pdf

Well...it is only required to be a Rotax certified oil filter if you expect them to honor the 400 hour warrenty. After that you can go to a Tempest oil filter specifically desinged for the Rotax engine and it includes tabs that can be safety wired.

Jim

http://www.tempestplus.com/Portals/0/PDFs/Tempest Rotax Flyer.pdf

Back